SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
News just broke.

Mostly a ECHL player.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
Minor league trade. Pens get a former 3rd round pick who is 23 years old.

Cajkovic is on his entry level deal and does not qualify as an AHL veteran, where Butcher did, so that helps the Baby Pens out with their lineup crunch.

Sideline

May 23, 2004
Cajkovic makes 70k in the minors and Butcher makes 425k. I think Butcher also counts as a Veteran in the A so things could just be about make space in the minors.

Sideline

May 23, 2004
Can't say I understand this one too much. Acquired a mostly ECHL RW'er with 5 points in 28 AHL games for a D-man who averages 33 points per 82 games at the NHL level.
AHL teams can only dress 5 guys with 320 games of NHL or AHL experience. I think WBS had quite a few guys over that number so this might just be about making room on the roster or Butcher asking for a chance to play elsewhere.

Reactions: AuroraBorealis

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Can't say I understand this one too much. Acquired a mostly ECHL RW'er with 5 points in 28 AHL games for a D-man who averages 33 points per 82 games at the NHL level.
Might be as simple as Butcher asking for the trade and the Pens obliging. Maybe needs to be closer to home or looking to be higher than like #12 on a team’s depth chart.

Sideline

May 23, 2004
"AHL vet contract move. Nothing to see here."

One Month Later

"Why is this guy playing in the NHL every night?"
Both can be true. Pittsburgh is statistically one of the better defensive teams in the league and Minnesota is one of the worst. Pittsburgh has a log jam of veteran guys in the American league that can't all play. Wouldn't surprise me if FSG told Kyle to tighten the purse strings in WBS either.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Both can be true. Pittsburgh is statistically one of the better defensive teams in the league and Minnesota is one of the worst. Pittsburgh has a log jam of veteran guys in the American league that can't all play. Wouldn't surprise me if FSG told Kyle to tighten the purse strings in WBS either.

I'm just being foolish.

I 100% think it's almost entirely just a vet contract thing.

Reactions: Sideline

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
Statistically we're one of the best goaltending teams in the league. Our defense is nothing to write home about.

Reactions: Sideline

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
That ain't Will Butcher anymore.

He's AHL or bust now. His NHL playing days are over. Shame too because he was great with the Devils until his injury.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Statistically we're one of the best goaltending teams in the league. Our defense is nothing to write home about.
Yeah, but there is A LOT that goes into goaltending statistics that go way beyond just a single goalies sv% and GAA in terms of what it means for teams winning and losing.

Quick example: Timeliness of a save. You're winning 2-1 with 5 min left. Other team gets 40 total shots in the game. With 5 min left, you have a .975%. The goalie lets in the next two shot. You're now at a 0.925% but you just lost the game. Most people look at the 0.925% and say "wow the goalie played well!" but in fact, their two late goals with less than 5 left lost the game. Now, yeah, there's culpability with the entire team defense but a goalie is a part of the team defense and needs to perform just like anyone else.

Better sv%'s also come from high shot volume against. So a 2.5 GAA can look different for two different goalies on two different teams if one plays better defense than the other.

I think Jarry and Neds have both given up very untimely goals, especially Jarry, that have tanked wins this season.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad