Not open for further replies.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
I have something to tell you guys.
I am Burmistrov.
I also invented Corsi which is nonesense. Ignore all the correlations; it still isn't real.
I wasn't good at hockey.
All the people who had agendas against me because of petty personal biases were right.
The time is not right for me to return.
Not until you all fall under the vile and evil Corsi spell.

Koonta

The Boss Wears White
Jan 1, 2012
Thunder Road
I am Burmistrov.
I also invented Corsi which is nonesense. Ignore all the correlations; it still isn't real.
I wasn't good at hockey.
All the people who had agendas against me because of petty personal biases were right.

I am he as you are he as you are me and we are all together.

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
I am Burmistrov.
I wasn't good at hockey.

Whatever, I still love your 1on5 goal vs Washington :yo:

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
My main concern with Chevy's decision making was bringing in Jokinen as a FA and not focusing on developing Burmi. If the Jets hadn't signed Jokinen I think that they would had plenty of cap room and budget to re-sign Burmi, and they could have given him a more prominent playing role over the past couple of years. I'm concerned that they blocked Burmi's development and then our ability to sign him by bringing in an older vet in the same position. It seems to contradict the "draft and develop" approach. I'm still trying to figure out how Jokinen was a net benefit to the Jets organizational development. Beyond everything else, he didn't seem to bring out the best in wingers (like Kane), who also stagnated a bit. Maybe he was meant to be a great leader in the room, but the Jets ended up firing their coach because they weren't all on the same page, etc.

I'm not saying Noel wasn't a problem but only a year later Scheifele forced his way past a better Jokinin on the depth chart. That shows to me that they were willing put a young player over the vet. I think Burmie could have easily done the same had he been more receptive to coaching lime Mark was.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
I"m as hopeful of burmi coming back as i am of us signing any UFA that i would like, maybe slightly more as theres 29 less teams able to pursue burmi. But even still, i see it as about as likely as getting a "chosen" UFA.

that being said, i think there's a lot of reasons why the jets should sign him (i'd even overpay) but A)Burmi has to want to come back and B) I don't have faith in the jets to do the logical thing.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
I'm not saying Noel wasn't a problem but only a year later Scheifele forced his way past a better Jokinin on the depth chart. That shows to me that they were willing put a young player over the vet. I think Burmie could have easily done the same had he been more receptive to coaching lime Mark was.

While obviously considerable blame lies at the foot of the player, your not going to have much success developing players if the caveat is they all have to be as coach able as Mark Schiefele. Guys like him develop themselves because of how coach-able they are.

And, did Schiefele "work past" jokinen? Honest question. Was he getting more 5v5 toi under noel then Joki? More PP time? I've never taken the time to investigae.

AFAIK Telegin is still Jets property, he's been loaned to the KHL. I think you'll see this more and more. It'll probably lower where russians/khl-risk guys are drafted, but they'll keep getting drafted.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
While obviously considerable blame lies at the foot of the player, your not going to have much success developing players if the caveat is they all have to be as coach able as Mark Schiefele. Guys like him develop themselves because of how coach-able they are.

And, did Schiefele "work past" jokinen? Honest question. Was he getting more 5v5 toi under noel then Joki? More PP time? I've never taken the time to investigae.

I'm not sure if he got more ice time but I think he got the more offensive role with good linemates that Burmie likely coveted. I'm not a Noel fan but its not hard to see why someone who listened and did what was expected advanced quicker than someone who butted heads every wtep of the way.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
I'm not sure if he got more ice time but I think he got the more offensive role with good linemates that Burmie likely coveted. I'm not a Noel fan but its not hard to see why someone who listened and did what was expected advanced quicker than someone who butted heads every step of the way.

agreed, but mostly my point was Mark strikes me as the kind of guy that a lemon could coach. Any coach can get the best out of player who wants to be coached as much as Schiefeley does.

Good coaches know how to deal with those who "but heads", and i think it's reasonable to think Noel maybe wasn't the best at that.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I'm not sure if he got more ice time but I think he got the more offensive role with good linemates that Burmie likely coveted. I'm not a Noel fan but its not hard to see why someone who listened and did what was expected advanced quicker than someone who butted heads every wtep of the way.

I think that objectively Burmi was out-performing Jokinen two years ago. If you recall, Jokinen was flat-out awful in his year 1 with the Jets. Burmi's frustration with usage was echoed by a lot of fans, including me.

The "fancy stats" were also pretty indicative.

View attachment 74201

We might never know whether Burmi would have been able to take over Jokinen's role this past season, because the Jets were committed to Jokinen financially and with respect to a roster spot this season.

Last edited:

jetkarma*

I am Burmistrov.
I wasn't good at hockey.

If you are Burmistrov and you invented Corsi , then why isn't that stat called Burmi???:sarcasm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad