Player Discussion Will Brock Boeser be worth the contract he just signed?

Will Brock be worth the contract he just signed?

• Total voters

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
Voted 'no', but primarily because of the injury bug. I'm starting to get 'Brandon Sutter' vibes from this player.

Frankly I'm a little surprised the Canucks re-upped him. But I suppose his value on the trade market had slumped so badly, that it was worth the risk of a three-year agreement to bring him back.
He's got a better, more accurate release than Bo. He's also a pretty good playmaking winger. I keep being assured by Canucks media that a Bo extension is in the bag, but from an outsiders perspective, keeping BB and JT and trading Bo for defensive help seems like a better option, assuming a deal with JT can get done. If not, Bo should be the backup plan for if JT leaves.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Think about 2 mil. Would see him no better than someone like Brandon Saad and he gets 4.5

Look at their records and they are much the same

Saad (without much PP)

Boeser (lots of PP)

Neither is great defensively but could make a case Saad is actually better

Also, have to recognize that above includes some of Boeser's better years. Just off last year could say he deserves even less.
Saad made 6 on his previous contract when the cap was lower. Their stat line is pretty similar. I am guessing Saad’s contract is lower now because his statline is not that good in the past few years.

Reactions: racerjoe

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Naslund got a little help from Moore there (became more of a "perimeter player" after that elbow....I mean, not that he barreled his way thru the opposing defense before but it did seem to effect the areas of the ice he avoided)

Yes but Boeser has some injury history as well.

I actually have a different memory of Naslund in his last two years here. I didn't think he became a perimeter player. He lost his elite shot post Moore. He looked like he worked hard on the ice but lost a step. So he wasn't able to get where he needed to go and he couldn't beat goalies from further out and with less time and space.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...

I actually have a different memory of Naslund in his last two years here. I didn't think he became a perimeter player. He lost his elite shot post Moore. He looked like he worked hard on the ice but lost a step. So he wasn't able to get where he needed to go and he couldn't beat goalies from further out and with less time and space.
I’m just going by my recollection as well. Heck both of us could be wrong.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007

On top of this, he also just looked tired all the time. Like he couldn't force a hockey game to be important enough to himself to make himself be the player he once was. For everyone's sake, he really should have had a change of scenery.

Frostage

May 23, 2014
I always felt that Naslund's broken leg had a larger impact on him than Moore.

Am I the only one who felt that way?

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
Think about 2 mil. Would see him no better than someone like Brandon Saad and he gets 4.5

Saad (without much PP)

Boeser (lots of PP)

Neither is great defensively but could make a case Saad is actually better

Also, have to recognize that above includes some of Boeser's better years. Just off last year could say he deserves even less.
Saad's best four-season stretch produced 205 points in 320 regular season games. Boeser's four seasons prior to last season produced the same 205 points in only 244 games. So, no, Saad was not >Boeser. And Saad got $6Mx6 on his post-ELC contract for that level of play.

Reactions: racerjoe and arttk

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco

Saad's an interesting comparison. But I think it favors this Boeser deal, actually.

You're equating Saad's contract into his 30s to Boeser being paid through his statistical prime.

In 2015, when Saad was coming off his ELC where he'd produced comparably to Boeser, he signed $6M x 6 years. Adjusting for cap, that's the equivalent of $7M per.

Reactions: racerjoe and arttk

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Saad's an interesting comparison. But I think it favors this Boeser deal, actually.

You're equating Saad's contract into his 30s to Boeser being paid through his statistical prime.

In 2015, when Saad was coming off his ELC where he'd produced comparably to Boeser, he signed $6M x 6 years. Adjusting for cap, that's the equivalent of $7M per.

Yeah.

And Boeser has better possession numbers through and through but I'm going to presume Boeser critics don't believe those at all.

Reactions: racerjoe

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
One of my lasting memories of Naslund is him over skating the puck during a shootout attempt and his face after.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles

Naslund lost his shot after the hit, it was sad to see. You would see him trying a slap shot because his snapper was just gone.

He was still pretty dominant post leg injury and pre Moore hit. It was a pretty clean break and he wasn’t even out for that long.

Frostage

May 23, 2014
Naslund lost his shot after the hit, it was sad to see. You would see him trying a slap shot because his snapper was just gone.

He was still pretty dominant post leg injury and pre Moore hit. It was a pretty clean break and he wasn’t even out for that long.

Just goes to show you how poor my memory is.

16 March 2001 He broke his leg
16 February 2004 Steve Moore hit

They were much closer in my memory.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

Uhmkay

Tryamkin = New Chara
Dec 11, 2006
Vancouver
Easy answer for me. Yes he'll show that he's worth the money we've paid. I expect he's going to have a big bounce back year, especially if Miller is traded and Brock gets more time.

Also, his poor defensive play is greatly exaggerated. I believe as someone has said, metrics have shown that. Is he going to knock someone on their ass? No. Is he the fastest guy on the ice? No. But he does compete and he's still also still very young. A lot of room for improvement. I think by the end of the contract, his deal will be looked at as a VERY good deal for the Canucks. Barring injury, I expect him to get back to a 30g pace this season.... and 30g players make more than 6m NOW.... and by the end of the contract 30g at 6m will look like a steal.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...

I seem to recall a post here where somebody was giving Naslund grief for not helping the team by scoring. Like how was he going to score goals? From the hospital bed? (post had occurred during the time he was out with that broken leg).

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC

You're not wrong. He largely lost his top end speed.

His shot remained elite for years until post-Moore, when it became just above average.

I remember him really struggling through 2006-07 and having a decent final season playing with the Twins in 2008.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
You're not wrong. He largely lost his top end speed.

His shot remained elite for years until post-Moore, when it became just above average.

I remember him really struggling through 2006-07 and having a decent final season playing with the Twins in 2008.
He lost his wrister to the point he was taking awkward slappers from the spots he used to snipe.

Reactions: Hit the post

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
I don't think people truly realize how much dealing with a sick family member, especially a parent, can anchor a person down. I'm truly amazed he's been able to do what he's done over the past few seasons given everything going on behind the scenes in his personal life. This kid is loaded with strong character. I fully expect a fresher Brock come training camp and a completely different player next season. I think this contract is going to look like a steal in short order.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
On top of this, he also just looked tired all the time. Like he couldn't force a hockey game to be important enough to himself to make himself be the player he once was. For everyone's sake, he really should have had a change of scenery.

That is hard to say. His father was dying. Now he's gone (RIP). How Boeser reacts to the loss of his dad is hard to know. Generally, you want to spent some time alone but also be surrounded by friends and family.

If I was Boeser, I don't know why I would want a change of scenery unless that change of scenery puts me closer to family. It's one less thing to deal with. I know and trust the guys in the room. It's the work fam.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
That is hard to say. His father was dying. Now he's gone (RIP). How Boeser reacts to the loss of his dad is hard to know. Generally, you want to spent some time alone but also be surrounded by friends and family.

If I was Boeser, I don't know why I would want a change of scenery unless that change of scenery puts me closer to family. It's one less thing to deal with. I know and trust the guys in the room. It's the work fam.

Oh, I was referring to Naslund.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Oh, I was referring to Naslund.

Oh oops. Sorry my mistake. I think the captaincy and losing was weighing on him. That was one of the things that made Henrik a better captain. Henrik didn't really let things affect him on the ice.

Honestly, Naslund was kind of pushed out the way we were worried what the Sedins would re-sign for.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad