Will Boston College be the Alabama of NCAA

Section32

May 26, 2011
CT
If BC wins this year, it will be hard not to call them a dynasty.

I realize there are many more NCAA football teams out there, but if BC does win it again, are they in that Dynasty discussion?

KPRGol

Jun 18, 2012
It would probably be fair to call them a dynasty. But at the moment they aren't exactly the Alabama of hockey, especially don't have the aura of invincibility.

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
It would probably be fair to call them a dynasty. But at the moment they aren't exactly the Alabama of hockey, especially don't have the aura of invincibility.

Disagree; they allowed two goals in last year's playoffs, destroyed a Minny team that is on top this year and never really let another team in the games. 2010 they waxed a very deep Miami team in the FF and slaughtered a Wisconsin team that will likely have all 6 starting D-men play in the NHL in addition to having that year's Hobey winner (geoffrion) and the WJC team captain (Stepan). I've never seen any college hockey team beat top teams in such one-sided fashion.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
I'd say that winning 4 championships in 6 years pretty clearly puts them in as a dynasty.

If they don't and their record is 3 for 5, then I'd say that they're just barely on the outside looking in as what could be considered a dynasty, imho.

At least 3 in a row or 3 out of 4 or 4 out of 6 or 5 out of 7, etc. is how I'd categorize what is, or isn't, a dynasty. That or better is a dynasty. Worse is just a very, very, very, very good team.

KPRGol

Jun 18, 2012
Disagree; they allowed two goals in last year's playoffs, destroyed a Minny team that is on top this year and never really let another team in the games. 2010 they waxed a very deep Miami team in the FF and slaughtered a Wisconsin team that will likely have all 6 starting D-men play in the NHL in addition to having that year's Hobey winner (geoffrion) and the WJC team captain (Stepan). I've never seen any college hockey team beat top teams in such one-sided fashion.

Did you miss the part where they lost to Minnesota 8-1. Not having Gaudreau hurts, but doesn't account for all of it. Plus Alber is out for at least three months (especially with a younger dcore...no more Dumoulin or Cross). 2-2-2 in the last 6 games. I think they lost a lot of talent with the loss of Kreider, Almeida, and the top dmen.

And I'm not trying to take anything away from BC. They are one of the best teams in the country. Jerry York is probably the best coach in college hockey. And they can turn it on in the tournament. But they aren't the same team of past years.

Dakota Sioux

Wild Time
Aug 19, 2005
JAMESTOWN,ND
From this Fighting Sioux fan who has seen his team have their season ended by BC to many times in the past 10 years yes they are a dynasty. No question.

Oilers Chick

Jun 7, 2002
Philly in April 2014
Visit site
Did you miss the part where they lost to Minnesota 8-1. Not having Gaudreau hurts, but doesn't account for all of it. Plus Alber is out for at least three months (especially with a younger dcore...no more Dumoulin or Cross). 2-2-2 in the last 6 games. I think they lost a lot of talent with the loss of Kreider, Almeida, and the top dmen.

And I'm not trying to take anything away from BC. They are one of the best teams in the country. Jerry York is probably the best coach in college hockey. And they can turn it on in the tournament. But they aren't the same team of past years.

Agreed. I think if they do win the National Championship again this year, they could be considered a dynasty. But if you look at BC this year (and not just the buttkicking that Minnesota gave them in the Mariucci Classic), they clearly aren't as stacked as they were in past years, particularly in their recent championship years. You go back to 2008 - they had guys like Gerbe, and Smith leading the way. In 2010, they had guys like Atkinson and Jimmy Hayes. Last season, they had Kreider, Dumoulin, Cross and Almeida. All of these guys are gone now. Yes, they have Gaudreau, Whitney, Mullane this year, but I don't think the depth this year is as impressive as previous years.

Now having said all of this, BC is an excellent second half team. If you look at their history, especially recent history, they can really crank it up in the second half and carry that through the NCAA tourney, as evidence by their recent championships.

BCeagle

May 22, 2008
They're not a dynasty but have been consistent for the most part year in year out.

The defense was inexperienced coming into this season with many freshmen on D like Matheson, Doherty, Sullivan, Jeke, and injuries. But they just got senior Patch Alber back to anchor the D better. Making up for the loss of experienced and talented defensemen like Dumoulin and Cross took time and adjustments. Still a work in progress but they'll have to go with who they have and who plays effectively. Even Linell, a forward is playing D.

They don't have the depth and size of last year but they still have productive forwards in Gaudreau, Mullane, Arnold, and Whitney, their leading goal scorer.

Milner not as strong as last year's NCAA run but let's see how BC does in the post season. So far, they're in the semis in the HE tournament after sweeping UVM.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad