will Avs be better defensively 2015-16?

SunDin

Dec 22, 2008
Hi, Im a fan of Soderberg and since Avs aquired I see the avs becoming a better defensive team. Howerver the new guys Francois Beauchemin & Nikita Zadorov, what will they offer Avs in a defensive perspective?
All in all, would you say Avs has a better D this year?

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
The defensive group is much stronger, so hopefully it translates as it should on the ice.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Agreed with the added defensemen the Avs should be better. Soda is not going to be the same presence that O'Reilly was, but if the back end improves significantly that should still improve the team overall defensively.

Taak19

Sep 22, 2011
The addition of Soda definitely does not improve the Avs defensively if you look at who he is replacing (O'Reilly). However, if you consider the additions of Comeau/Grigs moving 4th line guys back down to the 4th line and Beauch/Zads pushing guys - who shouldn't even be in the lineup let alone 1st/2nd/3rd pairings they were on last season - down, then yes, the Avs should be fairly improved defensively.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Good god we better be. As was said, it'll have a lot more to do with Zadorov, Beauchemin, and a healthy EJ than Soderberg.

Everything kind of depends on Zadorov and how well he does. If he breaks out this year, the defense could actually be a strength.

Boulder Avalanche

Pull the Goalie
Apr 9, 2013
I would say we are more solid on the backend because of Beauchemin and Zadorov pushing the likes of Redmond and Holden. Losing O'Reilly hurts us in a major way and we need to see how Soda and Duchene do in defensive situations.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
If we're looking at defensemen, it'd be awfully hard NOT to be better than the last couple of seasons.

Overall though, forwards and defensemen, we'll have to see. No doubt that O'Reilly was a good defensive forward, and that Soderberg doesn't really replace that aspect of his game, but with some of the other additions (both players and Farrish as an Asst. Coach) we'll have to see how things go.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
Probably. Soda and Beauch by themselves should improve it. If Greg and Comeau can perform reasonably well defensively, and I think they can , that should help. And then you have Zads, so.. yes.

freeboy

Feb 27, 2012
Sunny Colorado
There were so many bad players in this team for so many years. Not that there isn't any now but couple that with no direction, it's astonishing where we've come from.

I totally agree, and If we jell as a team,( and with Roy I cannot see us failing to jell), our core team d and our defensive players should be night and day difference from the pathetic teams we have had in the past four years in this one regard. I only hope that losing Staz and Factor have not caused us to regress on offense. But that is all about growth and the age of our star forwards....

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
Yes. We have much better defensive depth, as well as players. We also have better offensive depth and won't have to shelter any bottom six lines and that will lead to more ozone starts for our top 6. Just going into the year not playing man to man anymore will make a difference.

freeboy

Feb 27, 2012
Sunny Colorado
Yes. We have much better defensive depth, as well as players. We also have better offensive depth and won't have to shelter any bottom six lines and that will lead to more ozone starts for our top 6. Just going into the year not playing man to man anymore will make a difference.

I am not a former player but a fan, so please be patient with me, Why will not playing man to man help? thanks

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
Most definitely. I think people thinking the Avs having a bad defence is just because it's been repeated so many times no one recognizes the changes (outside this board).

The Avs have:

#1-EJ
#2/3- Beauchemin
#2/3- Barrie
#4/5- Zadorov (with the potential to become much more very quickly)
And then a bunch of decent depth with Stuart, Gormley, Holden, etc

Years past has been:

#1/2-EJ
#4-Hejda
Then a collection of depth players and a young Tyson Barrie.

I think they will be very good as a group.

trip trancid

May 23, 2015
It feels like there's some actual talent besides Barrie and Johnson on the blue line for the first time in a while. And quite honestly, it feels like there's a drastic difference in terms of talent. However, there's also some youth.

I don't think the improvement of the defense hinges on the difference between ORelly and Soderberg as much as it does with the changes in the defensemen.

The Shermanator

HFBoards Legend
Jul 2, 2011
Ontario
I don't think we will be as good as we possibly could be because of Roy's stubbornness to bench Holden/Guenin/Stuart/Redmond in favour of better younger players.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Avs have and always will be an offensive minded team, even in that latest Zadorov interview, he said that Roy wants his team to be offensive, so while Beauchemin and Zadorov will definitely help the defense, i think Avs will still take tons of chances in the offensive zone, they will never be a trapping team and still give up a lot of shots.

People fail to realize that it's not just having bad or average d-men what made the Avs defense bad, it's also the system, relying heavily on the goalie. I mean that's no secret, last year Roy himself said, he doesn't mind giving up all those shots against because they know Varly will make the saves.

Hopefully that mentality has changed in Roy, although he's still thinking offensive, they really need to cut down the shots against, because even if Varly is making the saves, all those shots against gives the opposition a momentum.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
The biggest addition is subtraction. Guenin is gone, Hejda is gone.

Former Ladder

Thanks Noob Noob
Dec 31, 2013
United States
Avs have and always will be an offensive minded team, even in that latest Zadorov interview, he said that Roy wants his team to be offensive, so while Beauchemin and Zadorov will definitely help the defense, i think Avs will still take tons of chances in the offensive zone, they will never be a trapping team and still give up a lot of shots.

People fail to realize that it's not just having bad or average d-men what made the Avs defense bad, it's also the system, relying heavily on the goalie. I mean that's no secret, last year Roy himself said, he doesn't mind giving up all those shots against because they know Varly will make the saves.

Hopefully that mentality has changed in Roy, although he's still thinking offensive, they really need to cut down the shots against, because even if Varly is making the saves, all those shots against gives the opposition a momentum.

To be fair, he said he does not mind giving up poor quality shots because he know if Varly can see it that he will save it. They talk a lot about protecting the house so they played a passive low box with a floating forward where shots were allowed from the outside and little else. A shot is a shot and still has a chance of going in but if our guys clear the lanes and give the shooter no other option than a bad angle shot, an NHL goalie should save it without issue 99% of the time.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
To be fair, he said he does not mind giving up poor quality shots because he know if Varly can see it that he will save it. They talk a lot about protecting the house so they played a passive low box with a floating forward where shots were allowed from the outside and little else. A shot is a shot and still has a chance of going in but if our guys clear the lanes and give the shooter no other option than a bad angle shot, an NHL goalie should save it without issue 99% of the time.

Yeah but when you're getting out shot that means most likely you're getting outplayed and spend more time in d zone than offensive zone even if the shots are low percentage.

freeboy

Feb 27, 2012
Sunny Colorado
in a word
yes
and
Zadorov

ok more than one word butthat guy looks like a franchise player in the making.. I cannot believe those guys out east traded him for that washed up ROR guy!
,lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad