Will Auston Matthews be a better player than Mike Modano?

Will Auston Matthews be a better player Mike Modano?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Thenameless

Apr 29, 2014
He already is, if we're going by the same point in their careers. If he just keeps up more or less the same level, he pretty easily surpasses Modano.

Reactions: Eegs

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Besides Modano winning a Stanley Cup he never won any individual awards, where as Matthews has won the Calder Trophy. He's also going to be a favorite for the Rocket Richard and so far in Matthews career he's finished T-2 with 40 goals in 2017 and 3rd with 47 goals in 2020.

It's also possible that Matthews might break the record for goals scored by an American born player which Modano has and that's at 561 career goals.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
He already is. Injuries and the pandemic have made his overall stat totals not impressive until you see his goals / game and points / game. Basically the 2nd best goal scorer in the league after Ovi.

Reactions: Voight

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Mike Modano was an excellent two way player for a long time so I say no. And I like Matthews. But I’m not giving in to recency bias on this one.

Matthews is better without recency bias. He's only 23 and already has more 40 goal seasons than Modano had over his entire career. And he's paced for 40 in all 4 years of his career.

Modano paced for >40 one time. And at 23 he really wasn't a great two way center. Certainly not as good as Matthews is now.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Mike Modano was an excellent two way player for a long time so I say no. And I like Matthews. But I’m not giving in to recency bias on this one.

I don't think Modano was regarded as a strong two-way player until later in his career. Pretty sure he was more thought of as an offensive guy in his early years.

explore

I was wrong about Don Granato and TNT
Jun 28, 2011
I think Matthews is already more offensively talented than Modano, but the question is whether he can maintain his peak for as long as Modano did.

Modano is in the HOF for a reason, and this question is best asked five-to-ten years from now

I don't think Modano was regarded as a strong two-way player until later in his career. Pretty sure he was more thought of as an offensive guy in his early years.

This is true, Modano didn't improve his defensive play to a notable degree until Hitchcock coached the Stars

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
I see typical HFBoards hypocrisy is rearing its head again. All I hear about is league wide scoring across eras, but we pick and choose depending on the player don’t we?

First off, peddling the Calder in some of these arguments is so laughable. Modano had 75 in 80 games and finished second to Markarov. What an ignorant viewpoint. Matthews beat Laine. Okay.

Most of Modano’s best seasons were age 25 and beyond which also coincided with Hitchcock taking over the Stars in 1995-1996 and implementing his defensive system.

Modano averaged over a PPG while playing a fantastic two way game during the dead puck era. He had multiple great playoff runs.

From 1997-1998 through 2002-2003, the league got as low as 5.14 GPG and no higher than 5.52 GPG. It was usually around 5.25.

Most of Matthews’ career has enjoyed an environment upwards of 6 GPG.

This question is too early. Matthews is on the right track, but Modano was a great player and is a Hall of Famer for a reason.

Hopefully one day soon, Matthews will also have a 50 goal season to his name like Modano. See, just as obnoxious.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
When Jonathan Toews was selected to the Top 100 list because he captained his team to 3 Cups. ;)

OT but I wonder if people would consider the guy in this poll, Modano, a Top100 player. At worst I don’t think it’s a hot take. And I think Toews was a better player than him.

I guess people were more upset at his contemporaries (Malkin, Thornton) being left out than the player himself being in?

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Matthews is certainly better at the same age and is arguably better than Modano at his best, though I think it's pretty close. Nothing is a given but he should end up the better player.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I see typical HFBoards hypocrisy is rearing its head again. All I hear about is league wide scoring across eras, but we pick and choose depending on the player don’t we?

First off, peddling the Calder in some of these arguments is so laughable. Modano had 75 in 80 games and finished second to Markarov. What an ignorant viewpoint. Matthews beat Laine. Okay.

Most of Modano’s best seasons were age 25 and beyond which also coincided with Hitchcock taking over the Stars in 1995-1996 and implementing his defensive system.

Modano averaged over a PPG while playing a fantastic two way game during the dead puck era. He had multiple great playoff runs.

From 1997-1998 through 2002-2003, the league got as low as 5.14 GPG and no higher than 5.52 GPG. It was usually around 5.25.

Most of Matthews’ career has enjoyed an environment upwards of 6 GPG.

This question is too early. Matthews is on the right track, but Modano was a great player and is a Hall of Famer for a reason.

Hopefully one day soon, Matthews will also have a 50 goal season to his name like Modano. See, just as obnoxious.
In Matthews first season he also finished T-2 with 40 goals and was the first rookie since Alex Ovechkin in 2005-06 who scored 40 goals.

Reactions: Voight

Koivu11

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
When did team accomplishments become a metric for how good an indivial player is?
It seems to matter to certain Leafs fans when they bring up making the playoffs when comparing Matthews with Eichel.

I agree it shouldn’t matter though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad