Will Atlanta Get Another Team?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LordNeverLose

Jul 2, 2015
Picking a fight
Well I notice the new ballpark is built beside a massive highway interchange between the interstate and the outer ringroad which again, not knowing much about the city, perhaps is helpful for a lot of fans in dealing with the traffic as opposed to trying to get downtown where I assume the crunch is the worst. Might be one of the exceptions to the general rule that downtown venue = preferred.
I'm sorry because I don't blame you, but as someone who lived in Atlanta for a while, I can't stop laughing at the idea that the area around the 75/285 merger has better traffic than ... well ... anywhere. I'm not sure I'm exaggerating when I say that spot might have the worst traffic in the entire country.

But still, from the northside/north suburbs - where most of the affluent whites (aka likely hockey fans) live - it is easier to get there than downtown, so yes that would in an ideal world be a better spot for an NHL team.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
I'm sorry because I don't blame you, but as someone who lived in Atlanta for a while, I can't stop laughing at the idea that the area around the 75/285 merger has better traffic than ... well ... anywhere. I'm not sure I'm exaggerating when I say that spot might have the worst traffic in the entire country.

But still, from the northside/north suburbs - where most of the affluent whites (aka likely hockey fans) live - it is easier to get there than downtown, so yes that would in an ideal world be a better spot for an NHL team.
I live in Cobb County pretty close to SunTrust. I have to say, as far as the local back roads in the area go (Powers Ferry, Windy Hill, etc...), they're way better than I first thought they'd be around game time. I get in and out real easy.

nhlfan79

Feb 3, 2005
Atlanta, GA
It's amazing that this story took eight years to come to light, but it turns out that the Thrashers "7th Man Award" trophy, given at the final game of the season each year to the fan who went above and beyond in some notable way (ex. one of my friends won for leading a yearlong effort to raise many thousands of dollars for the Dan Snyder Memorial Fund), is now up for auction on eBay.

Two notable points for those who didn't have to live through the ASG regime personally, which perfectly illustrate the level of acrimony and mean-spiritedness they constantly showed the fans here. First, ASG stopped having the winners' names engraved on the trophy the year they took over the franchise. Second, ASG directly instructed that the trophy be thrown away as the team was moving, and only a quick thinking arena worker snagged and saved it.

Reactions: Bostonzamboni

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
A winning team will bring fans anywhere, even Atlanta.

With that being said, Houston should get a team before Atl.

HolyCrap

Oct 2, 2015
And Quebec should get a team before Houston.
But it would be awesome if both QC AND Houston got teams at the same time!

As long as they are not expansion teams. The NHL is going to have 32 teams. It’s a more niche sport and yet will have more teams than the NBA and MLB. We need to have less teams not more. Moving the less successful teams Im fine with but we can’t expand anymore.

ArmadilloThumb

Apr 20, 2018
As long as they are not expansion teams. The NHL is going to have 32 teams. It’s a more niche sport and yet will have more teams than the NBA and MLB. We need to have less teams not more. Moving the less successful teams Im fine with but we can’t expand anymore.

NHL should go to 34 and eventually 36 teams (and hold there). There are only 25 US teams, the least of the four major sports, so more cities down there means more markets for TV deals.

Texas is projected to have over 40 million people by 2040. Hit that market - and push the game to the Hispanic population, my hunch is that is a untapped market with many that will embrace 'fast soccer'! A team in Houston and eventually one in either San Antonio or Austin.

Another team in either OKC (huge rivalry with Texas) and one in Quebec City and that's good.

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
NHL should go to 34 and eventually 36 teams (and hold there). There are only 25 US teams, the least of the four major sports, so more cities down there means more markets for TV deals.

Texas is projected to have over 40 million people by 2040. Hit that market - and push the game to the Hispanic population, my hunch is that is a untapped market with many that will embrace 'fast soccer'! A team in Houston and eventually one in either San Antonio or Austin.

Another team in either OKC (huge rivalry with Texas) and one in Quebec City and that's good.

Two issues.

1. NHL isn't going beyond 32 until one of the other Big 4 leagues do it, and none of those leagues are expanding any time soon. No reliable source has ever reported the NHL will continue to expand, and every reliable source has said they are done. Heck, NBA doesn't even want to go past 30 and they're one of the most popular sports in North America. Everything that the NHL has done over the past 40 years has been to try and emulate the NFL, NBA, and MLB. It's worked very well, the sport of hockey has more people playing every year and the league is now solidified as an equal with the other major North American leagues, albeit not financially. And you're saying they should keep growing for growing's sake?

2. The NHL has no need to expand beyond Seattle, anything past that is an unwarranted pipe dream. "Fast soccer" adoption is a pretty ridiculous assertion. Florida, Dallas, Arizona, and California have huge Hispanic populations, and they haven't rushed to the sport despite teams making strong marketing attempts. The reason hockey is predominantly white is because it's one of the most expensive sports in the world. Not that the NHL hasn't been trying to reach out, or that Hispanic people are unaware of hockey's appeal.

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
And Quebec should get a team before Houston.
But it would be awesome if both QC AND Houston got teams at the same time!
No, there should not be a team in QC. It's a tiny city, with a metro population of merely 800k. NHL should be after TV money and expanding their audience. Putting a team in a tiny market does nothing for the league.

Houston metro population is 7 million, and growing. Quite the untapped market.

HolyCrap

Oct 2, 2015

That’s far too many teams especially with the salary cap. The teams will not have enough talent and the big teams and fans will lose interest. If the NHL goes this route (which will be a mistake) a lot fans will lose interest. I’f it goes that way I really hope the big original teams and Canadian teams start their own league. The small markets and southern markets can do their own thing with a salary cap.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Two issues.

1. NHL isn't going beyond 32 until one of the other Big 4 leagues do it, and none of those leagues are expanding any time soon. No reliable source has ever reported the NHL will continue to expand, and every reliable source has said they are done. Heck, NBA doesn't even want to go past 30 and they're one of the most popular sports in North America. Everything that the NHL has done over the past 40 years has been to try and emulate the NFL, NBA, and MLB. It's worked very well, the sport of hockey has more people playing every year and the league is now solidified as an equal with the other major North American leagues, albeit not financially. And you're saying they should keep growing for growing's sake?

2. The NHL has no need to expand beyond Seattle, anything past that is an unwarranted pipe dream. "Fast soccer" adoption is a pretty ridiculous assertion. Florida, Dallas, Arizona, and California have huge Hispanic populations, and they haven't rushed to the sport despite teams making strong marketing attempts. The reason hockey is predominantly white is because it's one of the most expensive sports in the world. Not that the NHL hasn't been trying to reach out, or that Hispanic people are unaware of hockey's appeal.

to add to that point Armadillo, the ECHL is having a hard enough time as it is getting to 30 or 32, at present, 26 and some past and future markets in all 3 leagues there is still an undercurrent of fan support especially after what transpired in Manchester, where former markets in all 3 leagues either don't have enough support, financial capabilities, or owners who know how to operate a successful franchise

Dale Gribble

Feb 9, 2019
Does Atlanta really deserve yet another shot ?
I suppose if they could find a solid owner, and build a brand new arena in the North End, maybe, but I'm not completely sold on that idea either.

stealth1

Aug 28, 2009
Niagara, Ontario
Its all well and good to want to expand to US cities but the problem, is especially in the southern US, is the amount of transplants that refuse to cheer for the expansion team. Look at Carolina when the Sabres play there. Its almost like a home game for Buffalo. Its cause the people that moved from Buffalo won't adopt Carolina as there new team.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Two issues.

Point one.... if someone wants to plunk down $650-700 million and has an adequate venue to play in that doesn’t encroach on a current franchise the NHL won’t give a rat’s posterior what the other major leagues do. They’re going to consider it. Money is the language in pro sports.

Point two.... see point one. And far as ethnic percentages go that’s been changing. (Auston Matthews’ mother is Hispanic ;)) Plus we’re about to see if Alex Meruelo reaches out to the 42% Hispanic population in Arizona as he’s done with every other venture he’s entered into.

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
Point one.... if someone wants to plunk down $650-700 million and has an adequate venue to play in that doesn’t encroach on a current franchise the NHL won’t give a rat’s posterior what the other major leagues do. They’re going to consider it. Money is the language in pro sports.

Point two.... see point one. And far as ethnic percentages go that’s been changing. (Auston Matthews’ mother is Hispanic ;)) Plus we’re about to see if Alex Meruelo reaches out to the 42% Hispanic population in Arizona as he’s done with every other venture he’s entered into.

Point One: You do realize Québec City put forward a $500 million expansion bid and was shot down unceremoniously? They had an arena, willing owner, and a hockey-crazed market. Money is the language of pro sports, but that doesn't mean it's the NHL's expansion policy. The NHL has based everything they've aimed for in the last 30 years off of the NFL, NBA, and MLB. 32 is the magic number in pro North American sports. The NFL easily could have surpassed it and they're money obsessed. There's a reason why they haven't and have encouraged relocation over expansion. Bettman isn't an idiot, and he knows that expanding for the sake of expanding is unintelligent. The BOG isn't going to put a team anywhere that will pony up the money and have an arena.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Point One: You do realize Québec City put forward a $500 million expansion bid and was shot down unceremoniously? They had an arena, willing owner, and a hockey-crazed market. Money is the language of pro sports, but that doesn't mean it's the NHL's expansion policy. The NHL has based everything they've aimed for in the last 30 years off of the NFL, NBA, and MLB. 32 is the magic number in pro North American sports. The NFL easily could have surpassed it and they're money obsessed. There's a reason why they haven't and have encouraged relocation over expansion. Bettman isn't an idiot, and he knows that expanding for the sake of expanding is unintelligent. The BOG isn't going to put a team anywhere that will pony up the money and have an arena.

Did you know Quebecor was also looking for a second investor during the application process and the loonie was down to the high 70 cent range to the US dollar during those days??

It also wasn’t “shot down”, it was postponed.

Quebecor could have probably come up with that initial fee to get the chair at the table. But it would have left them with practically no operating capital to build a team with.

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
Did you know Quebecor was also looking for a second investor during the application process and the loonie was down to the high 70 cent range to the US dollar during those days??

It also wasn’t “shot down”, it was postponed.

Quebecor could have probably come up with that initial fee to get the chair at the table. But it would have left them with practically no operating capital to build a team with.

I've never seen anything about them needing another investor. And the loonie is still in the 70 cent range, I fail to see how that is relevant. Every Canadian NHL team deals with this since salaries are paid in American dollars.

The Québec City bid was deferred and then outright rejected when Seattle was accepted as the 32nd member. The BOG and Bettman came out and said there will be no more consideration of expansion as well. Sources: NHL approves Seattle expansion for 32-team league | When team will begin play and . Not sure where people get the idea that the NHL will keep expanding or that it's even a good idea. Good thing they aren't in control of the league.

PK Péladeau is worth $1.7 billion USD. Québecor has regularly had annual incomes of over $500 million. With those two things alone they would have easily been able to start, build, and sustain the organization. When combined with the promised provincial city support, it's beyond a doubt they could have easily made it. It was $500 million for the franchise fee, how much do you think they were going to blow through to get the team going? They certainly weren't going anywhere near the $1 billion mark.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
I've never seen anything about them needing another investor. And the loonie is still in the 70 cent range, I fail to see how that is relevant. Every Canadian NHL team deals with this since salaries are paid in American dollars.

The Québec City bid was deferred and then outright rejected when Seattle was accepted as the 32nd member. The BOG and Bettman came out and said there will be no more consideration of expansion as well. Sources: NHL approves Seattle expansion for 32-team league | When team will begin play and . Not sure where people get the idea that the NHL will keep expanding or that it's even a good idea. Good thing they aren't in control of the league.

PK Péladeau is worth $1.7 billion USD. Québecor has regularly had annual incomes of over $500 million. With those two things alone they would have easily been able to start, build, and sustain the organization. When combined with the promised provincial city support, it's beyond a doubt they could have easily made it. It was $500 million for the franchise fee, how much do you think they were going to blow through to get the team going? They certainly weren't going anywhere near the $1 billion mark.

The second investor was brought up during the QC discussion.

The bid was never officially rejected unless I’ve missed the announcement. So AFAIK you’re assuming that it was just because Seattle finally got its act together and trying to project it that way.

Just like you’re assuming because PKP is worth what he is ($1.4 billion per Wikipedia) and Quebecor makes 9 figures it’s all cut and dried. It’s not. Quebecor is publicly traded and has shareholders to answer to. PKP has a lot of his wealth tied up in his assets (media companies) and might not have enough liquidity to put that kind of money up front and also feed the beast.

Reactions: Mud the ACAS

JTToilinginToronto

Isles Fan
Jan 18, 2019
Not to be politically incorrect, but I just don't think a city like Atlanta has the right demographics for a successful NHL team. It's not bad to recognize that different groups generally have different likes and interests.

Like how the NBA's Tennessee team is in Memphis while the NHL's is in Nashville.

zetajerk

Jan 1, 2015
Not to be politically incorrect, but I just don't think a city like Atlanta has the right demographics for a successful NHL team. It's not bad to recognize that different groups generally have different likes and interests.

Like how the NBA's Tennessee team is in Memphis while the NHL's is in Nashville.

What, demographics like Dallas or Houston? There is no reason that an NHL team in Atlanta can't do fine, some people's prejudices be damned. I don't think an Islanders fan is in any position to criticize another market.

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
The second investor was brought up during the QC discussion.

The bid was never officially rejected unless I’ve missed the announcement. So AFAIK you’re assuming that it was just because Seattle finally got its act together and trying to project it that way.

Just like you’re assuming because PKP is worth what he is ($1.4 billion per Wikipedia) and Quebecor makes 9 figures it’s all cut and dried. It’s not. Quebecor is publicly traded and has shareholders to answer to. PKP has a lot of his wealth tied up in his assets (media companies) and might not have enough liquidity to put that kind of money up front and also feed the beast.

Can you link any sources showing this?

I just linked two sources showing the NHL stating there will be no more considerations for expansion bids. That means Québec City’s expansion bid will no longer be considered. That means it wasn’t accepted or deferred another time. That’s means it was rejected.

I’m getting $1.6B from Forbes and $1.7 from google: Pierre Karl Péladeau

You do realize the shareholders were overwhelmingly in support of bidding for the team, right? And that since it’s a publicly traded company, there are ways to raise funds without liquidating everything. Heck, have you ever read anything about him? He’s so obsessed with Québec nationalism he would do nearly anything to get a team or independence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad