Status
Not open for further replies.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
:rolleyes:
Detroit Red Wings yearly attendance at hockeydb.com
Detroit Red Wings hockey team statistics and history at hockeydb.com

So we take two of the most basic metrics of hockey health, attendance and team performance. Notice those bad periods starting in the 70s? Notice how attendance was somehow correlated with team performance?

In your ahistorical world, the Red Wings have always been a model organization. Empirical evidence laughs at your claim.
empirical evidence also states Atlanta is 0-2, your point rebuking that is what:rolleyes:

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
:rolleyes:
empirical evidence also states Atlanta is 0-2, your point rebuking that is what:rolleyes:

He provided a direct counterexample to your sole point. Now's not the time for non sequitur responses. Oh, and emojis - those always bolster a weak rebuttal.

Take the loss and move on.

Reactions: garnetpalmetto

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
I consider this a joke thread, only 300 people showed up to the rally to save the team. Bury this thread and let it rest in peace already. Atlanta had 2 cracks at an NHL team, they failed miserably both times. I know a lot of people like to think three times is a charm but this is the real world and in that world Atlanta as a hockey market is a big fat giant embarrassment.

Bear of Bad News

Sep 27, 2005
I consider this a joke thread, only 300 people showed up to the rally to save the team. Bury this thread and let it rest in peace already. Atlanta had 2 cracks at an NHL team, they failed miserably both times. I know a lot of people like to think three times is a charm but this is the real world.

Instead of considering it a "joke thread", maybe read a few of the several hundred posts in the thread, and you might actually find out what's going on in Atlanta.

But I don't know; I come to a discussion forum to read discussions.

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
Instead of considering it a "joke thread", maybe read a few of the several hundred posts in the thread, and you might actually find out what's going on in Atlanta.

But I don't know; I come to a discussion forum to read discussions.

What's going on in Atlanta? everyone is crossing their fingers that suddenly the city has become a hockey market? give me a break and stop being so delusional. "I promise it will be better this time" blah blah blah.

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
I consider this a joke thread, only 300 people showed up to the rally to save the team. Bury this thread and let it rest in peace already. Atlanta had 2 cracks at an NHL team, they failed miserably both times. I know a lot of people like to think three times is a charm but this is the real world and in that world Atlanta as a hockey market is a big fat giant embarrassment.
Washington. Has. Had. Two. MLB. Teams. And. Got. Third.

To downright dismiss a city the size of Atlanta (economically and population wise) is close minded and naive, to say the least.

Bear of Bad News

Sep 27, 2005
The thread title is will Atlanta get another another team, my comments clearly state my opinion and the reality on that matter. Get off your high horse.

I can't be bothered to read the thread, but let me tell you what I think about the subject line!

Thanks for driving by.

sexydonut

May 12, 2009
LA also lost the Chargers, Raiders, and Rams. The latter two in the same year, and it took 20 years to get replacement teams.
San Diego lost 2 basketball teams.
Houston lost the Oilers.

It's generally not the market, it's the owners who are really white collar crooks who see personal gain via carpetbagging.

Atlanta is a large and wealthy market. To see the success of Atlanta's soccer team in a non traditional market must make Gary Bettman upset.

Reactions: Irish Blues

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Washington. Has. Had. Two. MLB. Teams. And. Got. Third.

To downright dismiss a city the size of Atlanta (economically and population wise) is close minded and naive, to say the least.

The American Southeast seems a little over represented given their general interest level in the game during these expansion years. Doesn't feel like you need Atlanta in there when you can divide up the spheres of influence between Carolina and Nashville.

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
The American Southeast seems a little over represented given their general interest level in the game during these expansion years. Doesn't feel like you need Atlanta in there when you can divide up the spheres of influence between Carolina and Nashville.
What's overrepresented? America Southeast is not a single entity. Culturally, politically, or economically.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Thing is, Atlanta is larger than Nashville and Raleigh combined. It's like saying NYC can be served by the Flyers and Bruins.

I get your point, but population size doesn't translate into interest level into the product that's been peddled.

sexydonut

May 12, 2009
When the Predators were pathetic, there were rumors of them being moved too.

Hell, even the Canucks had Seattle relocation rumors when they were god-awful in the late 90s.

Both Atlanta franchises were run by carpet bagging white collar criminals who gutted the teams for their own personal gain. The on-ice product was mediocre at best, and the two franchises combined never won a playoff series.

Would you blame Houston for the Oilers relocation?

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
That's a weird comment. But sure, let's give Atlanta another team and when no one shows up we can move it down to Mexico City. Because population size.
I never said we should give Atlanta another team or it will be successful. All I am saying is its worth discussion instead of being condescendingly dismissed, and Nationals example is why having two tries before doesn't mean it can't happen 3rd time.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I never said we should give Atlanta another team or it will be successful. All I am saying is its worth discussion instead of being condescendingly dismissed, and Nationals example is why having two tries before doesn't mean it can't happen 3rd time.

But what is the actual big picture concept of having an Atlanta franchise in the NHL? Fill a population center that doesn't care about the game because it has growth potential? Create a Southeast Division with teams like Carolina, Florida, Tampa, Washington, Columbus and a resurrected Atlanta? Feels like a very tired formula with no real marquee value.

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
But what is the actual big picture concept of having an Atlanta franchise in the NHL? Fill a population center that doesn't care about the game because it has growth potential? Create a Southeast Division with teams like Carolina, Florida, Tampa, Washington, Columbus and a resurrected Atlanta? Feels like a very tired formula with no real marquee value.
Philadelphia had no visible interest in hockey when they got a team.

Are you even listening?

sexydonut

May 12, 2009

The Atlanta FC owners should have taken your advice?

Based on the bozos and pilferers who made up Atlanta Flames/Thrashers ownership, do you blame the fans for turning away?

Were the two baseball teams leaving DC and the three football teams leaving LA emblematic of these markets being inherently bad?

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Philadelphia had no visible interest in hockey when they got a team.

Are you even listening?

In what ways are 1960s Philadelphia similar geographically, climatically, demographically, economically and culturally similar to 2020s Atlanta that would lead you to make the comparison?

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
The Atlanta FC owners should have taken your advice?

Based on the bozos and pilferers who made up Atlanta Flames/Thrashers ownership, do you blame the fans for turning away?

Were the two baseball teams leaving DC and the three football teams leaving LA emblematic of these markets being inherently bad?

I don't see how trying to seed a winter sport in an indifferent market is the same as revisiting DC and LA in baseball and football. Those sports at least belonged to the cultural landscape of those cities and it was just a matter of getting the right facilities coupled with the right on field product to make things viable.

sexydonut

May 12, 2009
You could start by looking up Atlanta's population, population growth, number and growth of northern transplants, number of corporate headquarters...

Little things like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad