Speculation: Will any teams go after Timur Bilyalov next year?

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Timur Bilyalov has extended his contract with Ak Bars

Ak Bars goalkeeper Timur Bilyalov has signed a new contract with the club, the agreement will last until the end of the 2021/22 season.

Unless he has an NHL out clause or can buy his way out like Mikko Lehtonen, it doesn't seem likely that he'd come over to North America next season. I don't think extending through 2022 was a coincidence as Bilyalov would have still been required to sign a 1 year (two way) ELC if he were to hypothetically sign this summer.

As a comparable, Alexander Barabanov and Mikko Lehtonen had to sign a 1 year ELC as 26 year olds and they'd only make 70K if he were to play in the AHL. I'm sure Toronto promised that they'd be on the NHL roster, but I'm not sure teams could make Bilyalov the same promise. I'm assuming he'd make more in the KHL than he would as an AHL goalie.

If Bilyalov were to sign in the summer of 2022, he'd be 27 and no longer required to sign an ELC. So teams could at least offer him more guaranteed money. Evgeni Medvedev and Vadim Shipachyov are recent examples of guys who were able to sign for more on their initial deals.

Edit: Correction has to be 28. Bilyalov could hypothetically sign a 1 year ELC at the end of 2021-22 and burn the ELC to become UFA eligible in the summer of 2022? Then could sign an extension? I'll have to check if that's a plausible route.

Maple Leafs interested in record-breaking KHL goalie Timur Bilyalov - Sportsnet.ca

I haven't seen Bilyalov play, but it'll be an uphill battle for a 5'10 goalie. But it seemed like there was NHL interest a couple years ago. It may have been difficult to lure Bilyalov to play in the AHL though. Understandably, I'd be hesitant to move across the world to take a potential pay cut.

Last edited:
Reactions: banks

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Timur Bilyalov has extended his contract with Ak Bars

Unless he has an NHL out clause or can buy his way out like Mikko Lehtonen, it doesn't seem likely that he'd come over to North America next season. I don't think extending through 2022 was a coincidence as Bilyalov would have still been required to sign a 1 year (two way) ELC if he were to hypothetically sign this summer.

As a comparable, Alexander Barabanov and Mikko Lehtonen had to sign a 1 year ELC as 26 year olds and they'd only make 70K if he were to play in the AHL. I'm sure Toronto promised that they'd be on the NHL roster, but I'm not sure teams could make Bilyalov the same promise. I'm assuming he'd make more in the KHL than he would as an AHL goalie.

If Bilyalov were to sign in the summer of 2022, he'd be 27 and no longer required to sign an ELC. So teams could at least offer him more guaranteed money. Evgeni Medvedev and Vadim Shipachyov are recent examples of guys who were able to sign for more on their initial deals.

Maple Leafs interested in record-breaking KHL goalie Timur Bilyalov - Sportsnet.ca

I haven't seen Bilyalov play, but it'll be an uphill battle for a 5'10 goalie. But it seemed like there was NHL interest a couple years ago. It may have been difficult to lure Bilyalov to play in the AHL though. Understandably, I'd be hesitant to move across the world to take a potential pay cut.

Actually has to be age 28 to escape the ELC system.

Reactions: Brodeur

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Actually has to be age 28 to escape the ELC system.

Thanks for the correction, I thought it was 27 for some reason. For those curious, article 9.1(c) from the CBA:

(c) Notwithstanding the chart set forth in (b) above, a Player who at the time he was drafted was playing for a team outside North America or who meets the qualifications set forth in Article 8.4(a)(v) (a "European Player") who signs his first SPC at ages 25-27 shall be subject to the Entry Level System for one (1) year. A European Player who signs his first SPC at age 28 or older is not subject to the Entry Level System under any circumstances.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
Thanks for the correction, I thought it was 27 for some reason. For those curious, article 9.1(c) from the CBA:

(c) Notwithstanding the chart set forth in (b) above, a Player who at the time he was drafted was playing for a team outside North America or who meets the qualifications set forth in Article 8.4(a)(v) (a "European Player") who signs his first SPC at ages 25-27 shall be subject to the Entry Level System for one (1) year. A European Player who signs his first SPC at age 28 or older is not subject to the Entry Level System under any circumstances.

Such an unfair, broken, anti market system.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain

It’s probably common for us to assume it’s 27 because that’s the UFA age. I do it myself sometimes before realizing later I forgot this is one of those unique CBA clauses.

pucksakes666

Mar 8, 2018
Hopefully Detroit or Edmonton take a chance on him. To see if he’s the real deal or just playing with a great team .

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad