Will any players refuse to return with a cap?

Status
Not open for further replies.

txomisc

Mar 18, 2002
California
Visit site
Jack Canuck said:
If a cap is implemented this week who would absolutely refuse to play under that cap?
I highly doubt any of them will. It'll be sort of like those celebs who said they would move to a foreign country if Bush was reelected.

JFPIV

May 18, 2002
Indianapolis, IN
Visit site
I suspect that there would be a good number of European players that would chose to stay home and play in their home professional leagues rather than come to North America, if the "big pay day" was no longer there.

SENSible1*

JFPIV said:
I suspect that there would be a good number of European players that would chose to stay home and play in their home professional leagues rather than come to North America, if the "big pay day" was no longer there.
The "big pay day" will still be there unless the PA decides to kill the golden goose.

buce

Jan 25, 2005
Toronto
txomisc said:
I highly doubt any of them will. It'll be sort of like those celebs who said they would move to a foreign country if Bush was reelected.

To date, Alex Baldwin is still not a resident of Canada...so I guess it wouldn't be a stretch to think that loudmouth idiot McCabe will slink back to eat his ridiculous words.

CarlRacki

Feb 9, 2004
JFPIV said:

Average salary for NHL player in Europe: $150,000
Average salary for NHL player under $34-$42 million cap: $1.3 to $1.75 million.

Relatively speaking, it's still a pretty big pay day.

ti-vite

Jul 27, 2004
04' hockey said:
The players gave it a shot and blew it. To forfeit two years of their salaries would be dumb. They aren't dumb, they'll ALL be playing next year - unhappy :dunno: - but playing. :teach:

Unhappy. Thats funny. :lol

SENSible1*

ti-vite said:
Unhappy. Thats funny. :lol

The sad thing is that there will be more than a few discontented souls being "forced" to take the NHL's "meagre" offerings.

wazee

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Thunderstruck said:
The sad thing is that there will be more than a few discontented souls being "forced" to take the NHL's "meagre" offerings.
My goodness. How tragic that will be for them. I hope they don't feel compelled to return for the fan's sake.

mooseOAK*

They are saying what they are being told to say, if they are told to accept the deal then that's what the players will do.

vanlady

Nov 3, 2004
CarlRacki said:
Average salary for NHL player in Europe: $150,000
Average salary for NHL player under $34-$42 million cap: $1.3 to $1.75 million.

Relatively speaking, it's still a pretty big pay day.

You keep throwing around 1.3 million like over half the league even makes that much. The reality is that most of them don't. Guys like Artem Chubarov, Vancouvers top checking center, will probably stay in Europe. He would make more money there, as hockey players in Russia don't pay taxes and get bonuses like housing and cars.

Luc Labelle

Lucius 895 Injuries
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2005
Winnipeg
vanlady said:
You keep throwing around 1.3 million like over half the league even makes that much
You make a proper point that the majority make less than the league average. The funny thing is everyone keeps posting that the Europeans won't come over because of the cap. But keep in mind that the majority of the Europeans that have come over don't sign for more than the league average when entering the NHL.

The cap proposals put forth by the NHL include an increase of the league minimum salary, making the NHL even more attractive compared to the $150,000 average European salary posters have been using as an example. The cap is going to affect the players in the upper tier of the NHL salary ranges more than those making less than the average.

vanlady

Nov 3, 2004
Luc Labelle said:
You make a proper point that the majority make less than the league average. The funny thing is everyone keeps posting that the Europeans won't come over because of the cap. But keep in mind that the majority of the Europeans that have come over don't sign for more than the league average when entering the NHL.

The cap proposals put forth by the NHL include an increase of the league minimum salary, making the NHL even more attractive compared to the $150,000 average European salary posters have been using as an example. The cap is going to affect the players in the upper tier of the NHL salary ranges more than those making less than the average.

Ahhh, but here is the flaw in your thinking. The more an NHL player makes the more he pays. Remember in some of the leagues in europe the players have to pay their home countries to come play in the NHL or if they are lucky enough to break that 1 million barrier, are often subjected to taxes that make revenue Canada look generous. The cost of living also now becomes a factor, in cities like NY, Toronto and Vancouver where the cost of living is extremely high may also determine the players choice.

The upside to staying home is that in most cases they now don't pay taxes and often receive great perks to stay. There are other expences also that you have forgotten to factor in, like 2 houses, 2 cars, etc etc etc.

The reality is by the time a player making less than 1 million pays his agent, taxes, stipend to his home country and added living expences, it becomes a close call. If the difference now becomes close to 100,000 it may become a lifestyle or cost of living choice.

SENSible1*

vanlady said:
Ahhh, but here is the flaw in your thinking. The more an NHL player makes the more he pays. Remember in some of the leagues in europe the players have to pay their home countries to come play in the NHL or if they are lucky enough to break that 1 million barrier, are often subjected to taxes that make revenue Canada look generous. The cost of living also now becomes a factor, in cities like NY, Toronto and Vancouver where the cost of living is extremely high may also determine the players choice.

The upside to staying home is that in most cases they now don't pay taxes and often receive great perks to stay. There are other expences also that you have forgotten to factor in, like 2 houses, 2 cars, etc etc etc.

The reality is by the time a player making less than 1 million pays his agent, taxes, stipend to his home country and added living expences, it becomes a close call. If the difference now becomes close to 100,000 it may become a lifestyle or cost of living choice.

I'm sure the NHL will survive without any Europeans that want to stay home, just like your Canucks survived before you had even heard of Chubarov.

Jack Canuck

Sep 12, 2003
Hawaii
Visit site
Thunderstruck said:
I'm sure the NHL will survive without any Europeans that want to stay home, just like your Canucks survived before you had even heard of Chubarov.

I'm sure the NHL will survive without them too if it comes to that. I'm wondering mainly who will be stubborn enough not to return to the NHL just because of a cap. Honestly, I think they will pretty much accept it and all return quietly to work if a cap is in place.

Of course some of the europeans may want to stay home if it looks better for them.

vanlady

Nov 3, 2004
Thunderstruck said:

There were also only 17 to 21 teams in that era. People complain about the dilusion of talent in the league now, imagine the league without oh say about 300 europeans in it.

SENSible1*

vanlady said:
There were also only 17 to 21 teams in that era.
???

People complain about the dilusion of talent in the league now, imagine the league without oh say about 300 europeans in it.

Please try and base your posts at least moderately in reality.

Lanny MacDonald*

vanlady said:
There were also only 17 to 21 teams in that era. People complain about the dilusion of talent in the league now, imagine the league without oh say about 300 europeans in it.

Yup, I can see Sundin, Lidstrom, Naslund, Alfredsson, Jagr, etc. staying in Europe because of a salary cap. Why make $5+ when you can stay in Europe and make a million, maybe two. I look forward to when they take the straight razor and slice their noses off to spite their face.

:shakehead

txomisc

Mar 18, 2002
California
Visit site
vanlady said:
Some people also argue that one of the leagues main problem is that fourth liners are too good at what they do. Maybe if we had less players from Europe we would see more crappy players for the superstars to exploit.

CarlRacki

Feb 9, 2004
vanlady said:
You keep throwing around 1.3 million like over half the league even makes that much. The reality is that most of them don't. Guys like Artem Chubarov, Vancouvers top checking center, will probably stay in Europe. He would make more money there, as hockey players in Russia don't pay taxes and get bonuses like housing and cars.

In fact, about 318 NHL players earned $1.3 million or more last year, according to the USA Today hockey salary database. That's a little over 40 percent.

Somehow I suspect the NHL would survive the loss of Artem Chubarov. But, considering the fact he made $847,000 last year, even without paying taxes he wouldn't earn that in the RSL.
If European players could at home make anywhere close to what they earn in North America they'd be doing it already.

jcpenny

Aug 8, 2002
Montréal
Visit site
:cry: I'm a unhappy player playing under a cap :cry: I still make tons of money and get first class treatment :cry: My contract isnt guaranteed so i have to earn every cent of my pay :cry: However it actually gives a chances to my less talented buddy to stick in the NHL as they saved many teams :innocent:

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
vanlady said:
Guys like Artem Chubarov, Vancouvers top checking center, will probably stay in Europe. He would make more money there, as hockey players in Russia don't pay taxes and get bonuses like housing and cars.

vanlady said:
Ahhh, but here is the flaw in your thinking. The more an NHL player makes the more he pays. Remember in some of the leagues in europe the players have to pay their home countries to come play in the NHL or if they are lucky enough to break that 1 million barrier, are often subjected to taxes that make revenue Canada look generous.

Ah, I see. Typical postings of yours. In the first post, the NHL won't pay him enough, so he's going to stay home. In the second post, the NHL will pay him *too much*, so he's going to stay home.

All of these things exist now, and yet, there he is, Canucks property, happily slaving away all these years.

Nope, this yet another in a long line of scare tactics. "A cap will make all the Europeans go home!" <casper>A C-C-C-CAP!!! Run</casper>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad