Speculation: Will any of this year's FA pick ups get new deals?

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
I think there will be interest in all of our pending UFAs but I think we are going to run into a bit of a cap crunch.

If we resign (conservative in my estimate) and call up guys likely on the team next year.
Seider- 8 mil
Ray- 6.5 mil
Ras- 2.5 mil
Veleno- 1.5 mil
Berggren- 1 mil (call up & resigned)
Edvinsson- 850k (call up)

That leaves us with 9.6mil under a 87.5 mil cap with probably 3 forward spots needing to be filled.

Notable UFAs: Kane, Fischer, Ghost, Perron, Reimer, Sprong

Reimer is 100% gone
Ghost I think is 75% gone
Kane is TBD, it'll depend on his health I think. If he finishes the season strong however I'm expecting closer to 5 mil a year.
Perron should probably be gone, but I could potentially see him resigning for a lower cap hit because he likes it here and is definitely a leader in the locker room.
Sprong I think would be a good fit to return but its going to depend on his market or us moving other players out. I don't think he is ever going to be trusted in the top 6 so he is more of a 3rd line luxury, so it will depend on if the Wings can get him for like 3-4 mil on a couple year deal. He may get a better offer on the market.
Fischer I think could return as the 12/13 guy if he'll take a similar deal.

My best guess is something like:

Kane- 5mil
Fischer- 1.25 mil
Sprong/Perron- 3.3mil

Now this is if Stevie doesn't deal anyone. I personally would like to see him deal one of Maata or Holl (Maata is probably more appealing on a 1 year deal), deal Fabbri (another luxury 3rd line guy, but with his health I feel like his money could be used elsewhere), possibly deal Husso but would need an upgrade at goalie to do so.

RED WINGS STOMP

Nov 28, 2022
I think you can kiss Ghost goodbye. The Wings will need that d-man roster spot for young guys coming up and his defensive liabilities will eventually cause them let him walk.

It can be hard to say for sure, Stevie has some roster shake up ahead of him, who he can, and cannot trade will dictate some of this. How he weeds out some vets, for up and coming young talent? Does he trade away some young talent? He has decisions to make on Berggren and AlJo who are no longer waiver exempt next season. He either has to make room for them on the roster or be prepared to lose them for nothing. He won't do that.

Only one d man can be traded by the Wings without trade list complications, which is Maatta, not sure they feel like giving him away, he has been solid.

What Yzerman does this offseason, with all the possible extensions, and possible numbers crunch with roster spots will be very interesting to say the least.

Reactions: NickH8

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
I hope we keep Ghost. He is our second best (arguably -- best) offensive defenseman and he will probably be even cheaper now.
Meh, the offense he provides isn't at a level that justify the fact he can't defend well. He's not a net negative I don't think but I'd rather promote some young guys next year whether that's Edvinsson or Johansson or both.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
If even Holl is not a FA the Wings need to move him out.
He's definitely the one I'd like to see gone but with 2 more years at $3.4 million I could see the Wings rotating him in and out of the lineup based on injuries like they have this year.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I hope we keep Ghost. He is our second best (arguably -- best) offensive defenseman and he will probably be even cheaper now.

I'll take a hard pass, his defense is cringeworthy, especially when he's forced to play the left side.

Perron is too slow or the league. Let him drive the zamboni or something.

I like the way Sprong has been playing on the defensive end lately.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Perron - let walk
Sprong - extended, short term
Fischer - extended, short term and cheap
Kane, extended if possible, 1-year deal. Use the +35 bonus option so slide something on season 2025-26 cap.

Gostisbshere, let walk

Reimer, let walk

Perron let walk, promote Berggren up
Gostisbehere let walk, promote Edvinsson up.

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
Perron - let walk
Kane, extended if possible, 1-year deal. Use the +35 bonus option so slide something on season 2025-26 cap.

Gostisbshere, let walk

Reimer, let walk

Last time I suggested us pay him a lower aav with easy to gain bonus's to help slide the extra salary to the year after and I was fireballed and trebuchet'd into space.

I wonder if having someone else say it would change the perception of this idea. Interested to watch. :popcorn:

Reactions: Ulysses31

PelagicJoe

Mar 20, 2012
St. Louis, MO
Perron and Reimer will be gone.

I'd keep Sprong assuming the deal is reasonable and Kane assuming he's healthy.
Guys like Fischer are a dime a dozen. I'm cool either way on him.
Ghost provides blue line offense, and we can probably get him to extend on a short and cheap deal. Otherwise, trade him for a pick or something.

Reactions: Big Poppa Puck

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
Perron - let walk

Gostisbshere, let walk

Reimer, let walk

Agree on all points.

Reactions: PelagicJoe

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Why does everyone have such a boner for Elias Lindholm? He is going to be massively overpaid next season. Do not want, for the price he is going to command.
Really? I have not seen anyone mentionimg him.
Anyhow the Canucks will have to let him go.
We are finished with the Vrana contract and Perron. This give us 7,5 M in cap space.
Kane is questionable because of injuries. Fabbri is finished after the next season . That is additional 6,7 M.
we have Berggren and Soderblom, they are cheap and need a roster spot.

HoweFan

Jan 10, 2017
I think you should add Mazur and Kasper to your list of guys who need a spot

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I think we make a serious push to keep Kane unless injuries relating to his hip become an issue as the season wears on. Perron and Sprong will depend entirely on how affordably they want to come back. I think Sprong is going to at least test the market.

I know the talk of going after Hanifin or others is exciting but I think there is a real possibility that we just see a few guys walk and Berggren/Ed slide into those empty spots.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad