Will another defenseman win the art ross?

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I think it's possible. Like, if Erik Karlsson had gotten more puck luck in one of his big seasons, he probably could have come close. And it's not unimaginable that a more gifted scorer than Karlsson comes along on D.

Tough, but possible.

Reactions: Midnight Judges

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
It would take a weak Ross year and a top defensemans year.

Ie in 2014 if Crosby had been injured and Karlsson had one of his big years

Possible

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
Ever?

Again, assuming the NHL runs until the Sun turns into a red giant (that's billions of years), it's almost guaranteed another d-man wins the Ross. It's pretty short-sighted to assume otherwise.

Now, it's another thing if it happens during our life time.

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
It’s too close to being possible to count it out

The next highest scorer below Patrick Kane was Jamie Benn with 89 points in 2015-2016, right? Karlsson had 82 points that year. The year prior, Benn won the Art Ross with 87. It’s plenty possible that in a year that is a down year for high level scorers, a superstar defenseman like Erik Karlsson could win the Award.

Brent Burns was actually only ~5 points behind the scoring read for like 60 games of the 2016-2017 season. It wasn’t until the very end that Burns totally fell apart and McDavid exploded to take over the lead.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
It is almost certain that one will in the next 100 years.I would bet a lot of money that it will happen in the next 50, but that's a moot bet considering my age.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
It's possible..you need a defenseman like Paul Coffey in a run and gun era, but no Gretzky, Lemieux McDavid level forward at the same time... in other words 1 in 1000 chance.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
As others have said, it's possible, but unlikely. The right mix of a great offensive defenseman like Karlsson and a down Art Ross year like Benn's and it could happen. I doubt we'll ever have a defenseman win it with impressive Art Ross totals like Orr though. 90ish point is possible but I just can't see a dman hitting 100+ in today's game

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Orr did it with a really solid centerman. Karlsson hasn't ever had a centerman like Orr had.

Orr also finished 2nd to Espo for the Art Ross 3 times. A great center could help raise Karlsson's production but he almost can't be too good or he'll beat Karlsson

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
No. If Karlsson doesn't do it, it likely won't be done. D could lead their teams in scoring, but in order for a D to win an Art Ross, it would need to be a fluke situation, where the regular top-5 scorers all go down with major injuries and the Art Ross winner scores 88 points or something. There's no defenseman coming along who will compete with Kucherov putting up 96-100, let alone McDavid lighting the lamp for 105-115. If anyone thinks a player like Rasmus Dahlin will come close to that, they are going to be severely disappointed.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I think it's possible. Like, if Erik Karlsson had gotten more puck luck in one of his big seasons, he probably could have come close. And it's not unimaginable that a more gifted scorer than Karlsson comes along on D.

Tough, but possible.

His best season he was 24 points behind, not sure how much more puck luck he could get.

As for the OP - not a chance. Orr was literally a once in a lifetime player, even for those who weren't alive during his playing career.

sharkhawk

Jun 1, 2013
Aurora, IL
Orr did it playing with Esposito. I would think it would take karlsson playing with someone like ovie or laine. A pure goal scorer. If he was a team with Mcdavid it wouldn’t work. It would be like coffey and Gretzky. He could possibly score a 100 with Mcdavid though

Reactions: ZalQ

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
In 15 years? maybe. Its a defiant yes in the long term future. Karlsson/Dahlin/Burns all have a shot (plus some D that we don't think about/is a prospect now). The offense for forwards is declining and being more spread out amongst the entire forward core. Slow seasons or injuries to the top 3 forwards could make it a possibility

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad