Wild's best and worst draft selections?

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
Who do you see as our best choices in the draft, and who do you see as our worst?

Can be first round picks, 5th round picks or whatever you like.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Haula is probably the best "value" pick Fletcher has done. ie, exceeding expectations of draft slot by the most. Getting a solid NHLer that late is tough. Brodin, Granlund, Dumba all basically went roughly where they should, and have produced in the NHL as you'd expect.

Worst is probably Phillips, followed by Bussieres

Dee Oh Cee

Aug 4, 2010
Eagan
Get in the obvious AJ Thelen first ;)

Haula, Brodin, Koivu, Burns ended up being a great pick. Obviously no verdict yet, but Kaprizov looks to be a great one.

It's pretty impressive to get a guy who plays NHL games at all from the 7th round so that's what makes Haula/Graovac pretty cool. Sokolov 7th round too? we'll see if he makes it someday.

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
AJ Thelen was probably our biggest bust, but he was supposed to be a good pick where we got him. For the worst pick, I'd nominate Matt Kassian. Yes, he did have a NHL career, but picking him 57th overall was a joke.

We've actually had a lot of 1st rounders pan out, but I think getting Burns at #20 overall (even though it was in the stacked 2003 draft) has to be the best value. He put up arguably his best numbers after being traded, but that was a great pick for 20th overall.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
Agree on Haula being the best "value" pick. I'm hoping the a few years we'll be hailing Kaprizov as a major draft steal :nod:

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Burns may have been the best, but I wonder if he would've progressed the same had he stayed in Minnesota?

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
I actually knew Thelen's ex who was with him at the draft in 2004 and during the whole MSU fiasco. She always said that people didn't know the real story about what happened at Michigan State and that it wasn't Thelen's fault (but never really elaborated). I always took it with a grain of salt because she was obviously emotionally attached to him and clearly saw things from his view, but I'm willing to bet it was a situation where both parties were at least a little at fault.

Regardless of what happened at Michigan State, the guy had a shot with Houston and couldn't do anything and bounced around the ECHL until about 2011. Getting kicked off the team at MSU was clearly a turning point in his career and one that he never really recovered from.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Honestly, I think it is Koivu. No pick has had as long and as big of an impact to this team. And it is arguable that he turned out to be absolutely the best pick in that draft, even though there were questions about his offensive upside.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Haula is probably the best "value" pick Fletcher has done. ie, exceeding expectations of draft slot by the most. Getting a solid NHLer that late is tough. Brodin, Granlund, Dumba all basically went roughly where they should, and have produced in the NHL as you'd expect.

Worst is probably Phillips, followed by Bussieres

How can you forget Sheppard and Thelen?

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
How can you forget Sheppard and Thelen?

I limited mine to Fletcher era, as i've scrubbed the Risebrough era from my mind through years of intensive drinking.

But yes, if you're counting all of History the answer for Worst is Thelen. Sheppard isn't in the conversation, he wasn't quite what he wanted but he had a 400 game NHL career.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Most of that 400 game career was after the Wild bailed on him and he had to re-dedicate himself after some ahl time. So calling him "not what we wanted" is a serious understatement.

He was the face of the first round bust here for years.

Top 10 pick who couldn't even see the ice in the bottom 6 on a team desperate for talent.

I agree Thelen is the worst, but Sheppard is absolutely in the conversation.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Although he's been having a down year, I would think Scandella is one our better picks.

Decent pick, but got right about what was expected of him. Burns is by far the best pick. He's blowing the doors off draft day expectations. The rate he's going, he may end up in the NHL HoF.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Most of that 400 game career was after the Wild bailed on him and he had to re-dedicate himself after some ahl time. So calling him "not what we wanted" is a serious understatement.

He was the face of the first round bust here for years.

Top 10 pick who couldn't even see the ice in the bottom 6 on a team desperate for talent.

I agree Thelen is the worst, but Sheppard is absolutely in the conversation.

Flat out, he's 9th in games played amongst players drafted by the Wild. Surely some of the current crop will pass him. But amongs worst picks, he doesn't even crack top 5. First rounders alone you've got Thelen, Cuma, Gillies, Phillips who have did 100% nothing. Then you've got Fiala,Voloshenko and Bussieres who busted hard and provided zero value in the 2nd round.

Sheppard wasn't a great pick. But he's definitely in the mushy middle. He provided the Wild with over 200 of his 400 NHL games, and of the 30 first round picks in 2006, he's 16th in Games played. and there are only an additional 5 from the 2nd round that have played more games than him.

I get it, we wanted a star and got a bottom 6 type. But he had a decent NHL career and shouldn't be in the worst discussion.

tomgilbertfan

#WhyBother
Jun 22, 2008
Minnesota
Flat out, he's 9th in games played amongst players drafted by the Wild. Surely some of the current crop will pass him. But amongs worst picks, he doesn't even crack top 5. First rounders alone you've got Thelen, Cuma, Gillies, Phillips who have did 100% nothing. Then you've got Fiala,Voloshenko and Bussieres who busted hard and provided zero value in the 2nd round.

Sheppard wasn't a great pick. But he's definitely in the mushy middle. He provided the Wild with over 200 of his 400 NHL games, and of the 30 first round picks in 2006, he's 16th in Games played. and there are only an additional 5 from the 2nd round that have played more games than him.

I get it, we wanted a star and got a bottom 6 type. But he had a decent NHL career and shouldn't be in the worst discussion.

Cuma wasn't a bad pick though, he got destroyed by injuries.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN

We wanted a star and got a popcorn maker. He was scratched more games than he played here because he was such a liability wherever he played.

We didn't even get the bottom 6 player he ended up being.

Games played isn't everything. If it was, Daigle wouldn't be one of the biggest first overall busts in NHL history.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
We wanted a star and got a popcorn maker. He was scratched more games than he played here because he was such a liability wherever he played.

We didn't even get the bottom 6 player he ended up being.

Games played isn't everything. If it was, Daigle wouldn't be one of the biggest first overall busts in NHL history.

Im not saying he was good or what we wanted. But in a discussion of worst picks ever, a player with 200+ games in a wild sweater and 400 total isnt in the conversation when there are 3 first round picks who never suited up and Colton Gillies, who was drafted to be a grinder and couldnt even manage that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad