GDT: Wild vs. Wings: Emergency GDT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I am getting a little annoyed by people telling us how boring we are when we play solid defensive hockey...

Fans of other teams expect us to hand them our blue line, give them pucks right in the slot and jump out of the way.

I don't deny that we can play some snoozers, but tonight is the wrong one to point to.

NHL1674

Whatever...
Sponsor
Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
When we played the Penguins, the word "boring" described us perfectly.
Of course it was boring. It was the Penguins vs. Penguins. Their opponent didn't show up. They had to play all by themselves. The Wild were just placed on the ice for holiday decoration with their green and red Christmas jerseys. :laugh::rant:

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Trap is such a buzzword, but I swear 90% of people couldn't pick one out when they saw it. Wild had two people pressuring almost all game. You don't put up 30+ 5v5 shots playing the trap.

Maybe its just the 10 years we spent watching Lemaire hockey that makes it much easier to pick out, but damn its annoying.

Jesus comma Brodin

Effing Norris-Byng Brodin
Feb 22, 2013
Minnesota
Trap is such a buzzword, but I swear 90% of people couldn't pick one out when they saw it. Wild had two people pressuring almost all game. You don't put up 30+ 5v5 shots playing the trap.

Maybe its just the 10 years we spent watching Lemaire hockey that makes it much easier to pick out, but damn its annoying.

:handclap::handclap:

No skill zone for us yet we close gaps faster than most and play a better defensive product.

First a response from teams like the Wings, Av's and Stars is:

ackbar.jpg

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
:handclap::handclap:

No skill zone for us yet we close gaps faster than most and play a better defensive product.

First a response from teams like the Wings, Av's and Stars is:

ackbar.jpg

Which is even more hilarious because the Avs have been so bad defensively, they've taken to running a full 1-3-1 trap.

Fremitus Borealis

Flügelstürmer
Feb 4, 2007
The Slot
I don't particularly "like" defense-first hockey either, but this team is nowhere near the 1995 Devils when it comes to boring, league-destroying defensive play.

As for tonight's game, an(other) absolutely shameful showing by the refs. I reiterate my complaint about there being not incentive for them to actually perform their jobs appropriately. If a player coughs up a puck at the blue line leading to an opposing goal, he might not play for a week; if a ref swallows his whistle for a whole game, allowing all manner of interference, and then magically decides to call a forechecker with a momentum-threatening phantom crosscheck with five minutes left in the game.... he's probably out the next night calling another ****** game.

Jesus comma Brodin

Effing Norris-Byng Brodin
Feb 22, 2013
Minnesota
I don't particularly "like" defense-first hockey either, but this team is nowhere near the 1995 Devils when it comes to boring, league-destroying defensive play.

As for tonight's game, an(other) absolutely shameful showing by the refs. I reiterate my complaint about there being not incentive for them to actually perform their jobs appropriately. If a player coughs up a puck at the blue line leading to an opposing goal, he might not play for a week; if a ref swallows his whistle for a whole game, allowing all manner of interference, and then magically decides to call a forechecker with a momentum-threatening phantom crosscheck with five minutes left in the game.... he's probably out the next night calling another ****** game.

Funny part is, go look at the Detroit GDT. They're all complaining about how bad it was, too...

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Suter played less than 24 min.!

I could be wrong, but I think Dumba is playing better defensively. I think he plays well with Scandella, also. It's crazy how obvious it is that good things happen when he is on the left point/umbrella on the PP.

Having Haula play a defensive C with 22 & 3 allowed them to be more offensive. Wish i could have seen more of it... would like Haula to try and take more chances in the offensive end, but i get the feeling that he has been told that his role is to be a defense first guy.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Suter played less than 24 min.!

I could be wrong, but I think Dumba is playing better defensively. I think he plays well with Scandella, also. It's crazy how obvious it is that good things happen when he is on the left point/umbrella on the PP.

Having Haula play a defensive C with 22 & 3 allowed them to be more offensive. Wish i could have seen more of it... would like Haula to try and take more chances in the offensive end, but i get the feeling that he has been told that his role is to be a defense first guy.

I like the line. Really wanted it work out at the beginning of last year. It's a line that should be able to feast on 3rd tier matchups, but at the same time, you can trust them enough to go against the opponent's best, at least every now and again.

Randy BoBandy

Cheeseburger Party
May 9, 2011
Sunnyvale
No one can undestand the difference between a passive forecheck and the trap. You go into a passive forecheck when you are forced to make a soft dump into the zone. So the other team will easily gain possession. The idea is to make a change or just get the puck out of danger into the opposing end. Once this happens what any good team does is send one man in, F1, to pressure the puck carrier while the other two forwards catch up to the play, F2 and F3 to play high in the zone and even near the blue line waiting for the F1 to force a play one way or the other. That is is not traping. No ones sends two forecheckers in deep every zone entry. You can't. Teams need to make line changes and many times players are forced to make a soft dump where they can't ring the boards and try to gain possession. Sure I'd love the Wild to just maintain possession and pass it back to Suter who orchestrates a line change every time but that isn't how it works.

Trap teams set up everyone on the blue line and wait for turnovers. Even with fresh legs on the ice. How can the Wild be trapping when they sent 30+ shots on goal? The game I watched included a lot of aggressive defensive play by all Wild players leading to little to no time for Detroit to work with the puck. The Wild were playing hungry like they were on the penalty kill all game chasing down the puck carrier in all three zones.

Fremitus Borealis

Flügelstürmer
Feb 4, 2007
The Slot
Funny part is, go look at the Detroit GDT. They're all complaining about how bad it was, too...

I'm sure. We all tend to notice how bad the refs are when it affects our team, not when it screws the bad guys. My point was mostly that they decided early on they just weren't going to call any penalties at all (until the baffling call on Nino), i.e. "letting the boys play". My gods how I hate that euphemism. :rant:

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
No one can undestand the difference between a passive forecheck and the trap. You go into a passive forecheck when you are forced to make a soft dump into the zone. So the other team will easily gain possession. The idea is to make a change or just get the puck out of danger into the opposing end. Once this happens what any good team does is send one man in, F1, to pressure the puck carrier while the other two forwards catch up to the play, F2 and F3 to play high in the zone and even near the blue line waiting for the F1 to force a play one way or the other. That is is not traping. No ones sends two forecheckers in deep every zone entry. You can't. Teams need to make line changes and many times players are forced to make a soft dump where they can't ring the boards and try to gain possession. Sure I'd love the Wild to just maintain possession and pass it back to Suter who orchestrates a line change every time but that isn't how it works.

Trap teams set up everyone on the blue line and wait for turnovers. Even with fresh legs on the ice. How can the Wild be trapping when they sent 30+ shots on goal? The game I watched included a lot of aggressive defensive play by all Wild players leading to little to no time for Detroit to work with the puck. The Wild were playing hungry like they were on the penalty kill all game chasing down the puck carrier in all three zones.

Bingo Bango

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad