Confirmed with Link: Wild trade Lucia, Bertschy to Devils for Viktor Loov

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Lucia and Bertschy to the Devils for Loov. Maybe thread worthy?

edit: Sure, might as well make it a thread.

Wild clear a contract by trading Lucia, Bertschy to Devils...

The Wild executed their first trade of the season Thursday by dealing minor-league wingers Christoph Bertschy and Mario Lucia to the New Jersey Devils for minor-league defenseman Viktor Loov.

The purpose of the trade was three-fold: To go from the maximum 50 contracts to 49 so they have the room to sign Jordan Greenway if he chooses to leave Boston University after this season, to add depth on defense with Jonas Brodin sidelined up to a month and to give a couple forwards blocked from playing in Minnesota a new lease on life.

Last edited by a moderator:

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
Well, contract spot for Greenway opened up.

Had high hopes for Mario when he headed to Notre Dame, but his development really stagnated there.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
It's a little funny that Boudreau was just talking about how Reilly and Olofsson will finally have a few games without having to look over their shoulder, and now it looks like Reilly at least had better be looking over his again. Probably not a bad thing, because we can't afford him to have another game like he had in Dallas.

Of Loov, Murphy, Seeler and Soucy, I wonder who's at the top of the call-up list.

nt3005

Jan 12, 2015
Dakota Territory
Judging by the highlight video I watched on the main trade board for Loov, he has to take a lot of interference penalties for those hits.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
Always liked Bertschy as a prospect even if his NHL games did nothing to suggest he belonged. Now he gets to possibly play with fellow Bern product Nico Hischier.

Too bad about Lucia, sometimes the gambles don't work out.

Loov goes to the top of the recall list I would think. They needed to add someone with an edge (unlike Murphy) who can actually play a little (unlike Seeler).

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Loov goes to the top of the recall list I would think. They needed to add someone with an edge (unlike Murphy) who can actually play a little (unlike Seeler).
Agreed, but I was under the impression that the Wild were pretty happy with how Seeler's coming along. Maybe not "give him regular NHL minutes while scrapping for a wildcard slot" happy, though.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
Agreed, but I was under the impression that the Wild were pretty happy with how Seeler's coming along. Maybe not "give him regular NHL minutes while scrapping for a wildcard slot" happy, though.

I definitely get that impression too. I have no problem cheering for them to keep improving but good organizations keep guys like Soucy and Seeler in the minors. That's where guys like Andy Welinski and Neal Pionk are; both carried Soucy in college.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I like that Loov seems to add a little something different to the mix with his physicality and size.

Also, can we ever have too many defensive minded Swedes on this team?

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Apparently Loov thinks there is a drug problem in pro hockey. After reading the sad sagas of Boogie, Moose, Hagemo, and Gooch, there is likely some truth to this.

Hell, in HS, the biggest partiers were the hockey players.

"A lot of cocaine" in the NHL, Viktor Loov says
It's interesting: I know Russo's talked about how players seem to be a lot more responsible about stuff like drinking today than they were 10 or 20 years ago. Still, it wouldn't surprise me at all if more illicit substance abuse was still rampant.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
That Russo! What a cad!

I think BB was fed up seeing once getting hemmed in our own end. If nothing else, i expect to see bodies flying when Loov hits the ice. Just hope he doesn't draw a bunch of penalties. I did see some reports saying that Loov is actually a good skater. Hope that is true.

Marlowe Syn

R-O-C-K-F-O-R-D
Sep 2, 2008
I don't mind this trade at all. Bertschy is a career AHLer. Same with Lucia. Granted I didn't like the pick when we grabbed him in the late 2nd. We're pretty flush with tweener forwards. I don't know much about Loov, except for what I've read about him after the trade. Sounds like he could be better bottom pair option than Reilly or Olofsson. Neither of whom has impressed me in the least, especially Reilly. If Loov can bring some strength and physicality to our bottom pair. Hopefully he can bring some consistency as well. Because when I see #23 or #4 on the ice I get pretty nervous. I was hopeful that this was the season Gustav was going to put it all together, but I think his early pro career injuries stalled his development enough that he'll never be the player we hoped. Like what happened with Tyler Cuma. Plus open contract spot for Greenway.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I think Loov's skill will be a cut below that of Olofsson and Reilly. He is big, strong, and can skate. There's got be a reason that his in the minors.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I think Loov's skill will be a cut below that of Olofsson and Reilly. He is big, strong, and can skate. There's got be a reason that his in the minors.

NJD picked up Butcher as a college UFA late in the offseason. It pushed Loov down on the depth charts. We've had Reilly/Olofsson buried for a couple of years in out system because Brodin, Scandella, and Suter were all LD. It could be a somewhat similar situation for Loov in Tor/NJD?

Loov is a little older, but this is only his 4th NA season.

I have no clue who he is or how his game looks. So I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt at this point.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Loov isn't here to replace Reilly or Olofsson. He's here to upgrade or atleast add to the LHD depth behind those two.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Loov isn't here to replace Reilly or Olofsson. He's here to upgrade or atleast add to the LHD depth behind those two.

I think he'll get a chance to compete for ice time. There really isn't any other reason to bring him up during a homestand (with the intent of putting him in the pressbox). It put's the Wild over the daily cap and eats into their limited TDL savings.

Al Lagoon

Feb 22, 2012
I don't mind this trade at all. Bertschy is a career AHLer. Same with Lucia. Granted I didn't like the pick when we grabbed him in the late 2nd. We're pretty flush with tweener forwards. I don't know much about Loov, except for what I've read about him after the trade. Sounds like he could be better bottom pair option than Reilly or Olofsson. Neither of whom has impressed me in the least, especially Reilly. If Loov can bring some strength and physicality to our bottom pair. Hopefully he can bring some consistency as well. Because when I see #23 or #4 on the ice I get pretty nervous. I was hopeful that this was the season Gustav was going to put it all together, but I think his early pro career injuries stalled his development enough that he'll never be the player we hoped. Like what happened with Tyler Cuma. Plus open contract spot for Greenway.

I dunno Angel, I missed the Coyotes game, but I like what I've seen from Olofsson and Reilly. Different skill sets, but I think they could be a very complimentary pair someday.

Marlowe Syn

R-O-C-K-F-O-R-D
Sep 2, 2008
I dunno Angel, I missed the Coyotes game, but I like what I've seen from Olofsson and Reilly. Different skill sets, but I think they could be a very complimentary pair someday.
Angel? WTH man? :laugh: I haven't given up on Oly quite yet. He does look like he is starting to put his game together, with more work in progress developing. Still don't see him being much more than a good #5 Dman. That's okay.
Reilly on the other hand I do not have belief in. He just seems to not have the hockey IQ I like to see in a defenseman. If we sell off Reilly at the tdl, I will drive Reilly to the airport. I live in Southern Oregon now, but it would be worth the 2000 mile roadtrip.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad