Wild Speculating - think there's ever been an NHLer on the autism spectrum?

Status
Not open for further replies.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
I was just thinking about Dougie Hamilton. Even though he's a great person, there's been some pretty interesting aspects of his career. Things like:

- OHL scholastic player
- strongly preferring his brother be around
- claims in Boston that he was "an uppity loner"
- claims in Calgary that he would go by himself to the museum when all his teammates would go for lunch

All of these things, while not direct character attacks on the player, do feel like traits of ASD. Not saying he has it, but it's always a possibility and it'd be an interesting and positive story to hear about someone with ASD making it big time as a pro athlete. So I couldn't help but wonder - out of curiosity what players historically had behaviour resembling ASD? We've always heard how "goalies are different" - maybe there was a ASD goaltender who channeled his energy into NHL success?

SupremeNachos

Dec 6, 2011
Minnesota
I was just thinking about Dougie Hamilton. Even though he's a great person, there's been some pretty interesting aspects of his career. Things like:

- OHL scholastic player
- claims in Calgary that he would go by himself to the museum when all his teammates would go for lunch

All of these things, while not direct character attacks on the player, do feel like traits of ASD. Not saying he has it, but it's always a possibility and it'd be an interesting and positive story to hear about someone with ASD making it big time as a pro athlete. So I couldn't help but wonder - out of curiosity what players historically had behaviour resembling ASD? We've always heard how "goalies are different" - maybe there was a ASD goaltender who channeled his energy into NHL success?
Or that he has cancer.

ThreeOfAPerfectPair

Oct 26, 2017
Edmonton
If I had to take an uninformed guess of the situation I'd say Dougie is more "Schizoid" than on the spectrum. I don't think people on the autism spectrum excel in sports.

Schizoid personality disorder (/ˈskɪtsɔɪd, ˈskɪdzɔɪd/, often abbreviated as SPD or SzPD) is a personality disorder characterized by a lack of interest in social relationships, a tendency towards a solitary or sheltered lifestyle, secretiveness, emotional coldness, detachment, and apathy.

Or maybe the Calgary and Boston organizations are just comprised of low IQ "bro's."

flamesforcup

Sep 5, 2017
If I had to take an uninformed guess of the situation I'd say Dougie is more "Schizoid" than on the spectrum. I don't think people on the autism spectrum excel in sports.

Schizoid personality disorder (/ˈskɪtsɔɪd, ˈskɪdzɔɪd/, often abbreviated as SPD or SzPD) is a personality disorder characterized by a lack of interest in social relationships, a tendency towards a solitary or sheltered lifestyle, secretiveness, emotional coldness, detachment, and apathy.

Or maybe the Calgary and Boston organizations are just comprised of low IQ "bro's."
made me lol

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
Consider that two common traits of people with Asperger’s are high intelligence and an intense focus toward particular areas of interest. Look at high performing people in just about any endeavor and you’re almost certain to see some Aspies there.

Dr Black

Oct 31, 2015

- OHL scholastic player

On Sportsnet, they mentioned a rumor swirling around that Dougie Hamilton did not fit in with his teammates in Calgary and this was a major factor in him being traded to Carolina.

Spoilers

Jun 24, 2018
Created an account just to say how disgusting this thread is. So the guy is intelligent, likes his brother, and prefers museums over team dinners... That means he is autistic to you? This is just another case of fans trashing players after the team loses a trade.

Goalies are notorius for being weird loners also. Does that make them autistic to you also?

The guy played amazing for the Flames. Have some respect.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
100% Brad Marchand

I deem this as serious as I have dyslexia; like Brent Sopel, but I think there's definitely something wrong with him mentally.

I have been wondering the same, but it's not always easy to tell, because some people are never diagnosed with it. I just remember hearing Patrick Roy had Tourettes.

OVrocks

Dec 9, 2009
LA
I’m not sure about autistic players, but it was recently revealed that Crosby is mentally Pejorative Slured. Does that count?

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
I actually think it is highly unlikely that one could be a) on the autism spectrum and b) a pro athlete. I am a) and one of traits/side effects is being incredibly clumsy and unaware of your surroundings, to a fault. Another one is lack of muscle definition and tone, which makes it extremely hard to build and maintain muscle mass, which would be an incredible detriment to a pro athlete. The third thing that is pretty common about those on the spectrum is that there is lack of physical coordination. For example, my left arm and leg feel, on a daily basis, significantly weaker than my right, and I have trouble doing anything left handed, or kicking a ball left footed. The lack of coordination is astounding. Everyone on the spectrum is uniquely autistic, so that's not to say it couldn't happen. It is just highly unlikely.

Another issue is input/output delay. Hockey is probably the fastest sport in terms of reaction time, and the amount of time to make a decision in hockey is a split second, and a person on the spectrum can't really get their body to react as quickly as they wish. The decision was made in the proper amount of time but by the time their body reacts the decision becomes wrong. This is why I don't play hockey.
Signed, An Aspie

Last edited:
Reactions: RibFrabcus

dkhockey

May 27, 2007
Europe
I actually think it is highly unlikely that one could be a) on the autism spectrum and b) a pro athlete. I am a) and one of traits/side effects is being incredibly clumsy and unaware of your surroundings, to a fault. Another one is lack of muscle definition and tone, which makes it extremely hard to build and maintain muscle mass, which would be an incredible detriment to a pro athlete. The third thing that is pretty common about those on the spectrum is that there is lack of physical coordination. For example, my left arm and leg feel, on a daily basis, significantly weaker than my right, and I have trouble doing anything left handed, or kicking a ball left footed. The lack of coordination is astounding. Everyone on the spectrum is uniquely autistic, so that's not to say it couldn't happen. It is just highly unlikely.

Another issue is input/output delay. Hockey is probably the fastest sport in terms of reaction time, and the amount of time to make a decision in hockey is a split second, and a person on the spectrum can't really get their body to react as quickly as they wish. The decision was made in the proper amount of time but by the time their body reacts the decision becomes wrong. This is why I don't play hockey.
Signed, An Aspie
incredibly clumsy and unaware of your surroundings

nonsense... it does not have to be like that at all

Reactions: Mr Meeseeks

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco

- OHL scholastic player

- calls himself "Dougie" as a grown man

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014

Signed, An Aspie
Whilst they are traits on the Spectrum they are just that traits. Not all Aspies have those issues. Both my kids have Aspergers and are not very sporty, but there are some kids at the ASD school my daughter attends that are. One attends a football (Soccer, although we can debate if it’s a real sport) Acadamy at an English Premier League club.

I agree that by definition it would be incredibly difficult for someone with ASD to make the NHL, but as per the OP it would be an amazing success story. It’s possible, I think.

I do however object to the notion that being considered autistic is automatically a negative thing. Yes for some it bring huge challenges but it has its gifts. The worst part of ASD is the lack of understanding by people, especially those in the Government run services.

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
- calls himself "Dougie" as a grown man
And that’s what I mean about lack of understanding. What has that got to do with anything?

Although in truth I’m assuming that you are not really that ignorant and stupid, and it’s simply an unfunny and cheap attempt at humour.

cowboy82nd

Feb 19, 2012
Newnan, Georgia

Signed, An Aspie

Thank you for sharing.

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015

Signed, An Aspie

Really interesting input. However Söderström, an amazing SHL goalie and Islanders prospect, has Aspergers and ADHD

Reactions: DominikBokkFan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad