Confirmed with Link: Wild signs Zack Mitchell to ELC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
BREAKING: #mnwild has signed Zack Mitchell to entry-level contract. Guelph Storm forward 18th in OHL with 77 points.

https://twitter.com/mnwild/status/440915764045172736

1aOIVfo.png

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
Great stats, not a midget.. Wonder why he wasn't drafted.

Anyone have a scouting report on him?

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
From the main board:

Great pick up by Minny.

I've gotten to see Mitchell play a few times the past 4 years, though only once this season.

With that being said, he's a great kid, and has a plethora of tools.
He had a slow start to his junior career and plays a little small, but the kid is dedicated. He gives 110% night in and out, and does all the little things well.
He's got a knack for the net, and good speed up the wing.

Even when he's playing really good, he can go a unnoticed/invisible/under the radar/whatever you want to call it. He's just one of those guys.

It's still to be seen how well his skillset will translate at the next level. He'll definitely need some AHL time to start things off. But the potential is there to be at least a 7-9 NHL forward, and I think it's definitely worth a shot for Minny.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Even if none of these guy end up being NHL players, I like that Fletcher signs a few junior free agents to put in Iowa, rather than say just signing a few AHL vets to round out the team. Keep the team full of young guys (picks and free agents) who are hungry for the NHL. Makes even a guy like Zucker or Phillips look around and go "hey, I better step up my game or I'm going to be lapped."

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Even if none of these guy end up being NHL players, I like that Fletcher signs a few junior free agents to put in Iowa, rather than say just signing a few AHL vets to round out the team. Keep the team full of young guys (picks and free agents) who are hungry for the NHL. Makes even a guy like Zucker or Phillips look around and go "hey, I better step up my game or I'm going to be lapped."

For sure. If you can pull a fontaine out of every 4 - 6 undrafted UFAs, thats a good average.

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
Well he did only have 10 points in his first OHL season... Let's not get our hopes up people. He will never amount to a first liner.

:sarcasm:

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
For sure. If you can pull a fontaine out of every 4 - 6 undrafted UFAs, thats a good average.
Don't forget about Spurgeon either. That signing move effectively reversed a lot of the damage done by the infamous Barker-Leddy trade.

Billy Mays Here*

Love moves like this. Zero risk and potentially high reward. Always nice to see an organization taking a shot on a guy who has put up some solid numbers. Hopefully this Zach turns in to something better than the other one we have.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
sign several two way forwards with a little scoring touch at the junior level and one of them might pan out to be a free (no draft pick, no assets traded) bottom six NHLr. the kind of thing we ought to be doing.

Al Lagoon

Feb 22, 2012
sign several two way forwards with a little scoring touch at the junior level and one of them might pan out to be a free (no draft pick, no assets traded) bottom six NHLr. the kind of thing we ought to be doing.

Especially if it prevents paying for the Torey Mitchells, Zenon Konopkas, and Eric Nystroms of the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce