Confirmed with Link: Wild Sign Nick Seeler & Mario Lucia to 2-year ELCs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
I don't think one year playing BCHL vs. USHL dismantled any ability to improve over a 4 year period at the NCAA level.

Dismantled no. The concern was that high school was too easy for him, so he goes to a league where he put up 93 points. That's basically a plateau. His freshman season he had the broken leg, but played on a completely stacked team: Bryan Rust, TJ Tynan, Anders Lee, Robbie Russo, Stephen Johns. I just think the challenge was missing for him for long stretches. Who knows. We shall see.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I'd certainly like to get Gilmour signed. A big-bodied center who can pitch in with some points here and there and has played well with Tuch at BC. I don't think he'll be a superstar in the NHL, but I think he could develop into a nice 3rd line center who could step onto the 2nd line in a pinch. At the very least, he'd help out Iowa.

I'd be shocked if Gilmour could become a player who could slot in on an NHL 2nd line in a pinch. Realistically I think he's more of a 4th line C who could potentially slot into the 3rd line if needed to.

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
Hey so was Wade Murphy! Who went on to have four points in two years at UND.

Lucia should not have gone to the BCHL. Beautiful part of the country, not a good developmental league for him.

The BCHL did well for Reilly, Schultz, Keith and Zajac, Turris, Ladd and more

Notre Dame seems to be the program lacking in alum. Sheahan, Cole, Rust, Palmeri took the long to the NHL. Lee made it up quick.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012

Notre Dame seems to be the program lacking in alum. Sheahan, Cole, Rust, Palmeri took the long to the NHL. Lee made it up quick.

Yeah I don't know if was the BCHL that stagnated his development so much as it was Notre Dame that did it.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008

First of all, did a single one of those guys take a post-draft season in the BCHL? That's the issue with Lucia. Plenty of guys have come through it, both the draft record and the development record suggest that it's a lower league.

As for Notre Dame, every case is different, but I'm seeing a lot of NHL players in a short span. I'd wager it's top five for games played.

Riley Sheahan played with Lucia and made his NHL debut four years ago!

forthewild

Aug 17, 2009
Lets give the kid some time in the AHL to see how well he comes or doesn't come along. Time will tell. Still a better pick than Phillips.

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
First of all, did a single one of those guys take a post-draft season in the BCHL? That's the issue with Lucia. Plenty of guys have come through it, both the draft record and the development record suggest that it's a lower league.

As for Notre Dame, every case is different, but I'm seeing a lot of NHL players in a short span. I'd wager it's top five for games played.

Riley Sheahan played with Lucia and made his NHL debut four years ago!

People have come through MNHSL and thats a really low league in comparison.

Schultz had a year after draft.

Sheahan played 3 years through 11-12 played AHL 12-13 and 13-14 part time NHL 13-14 and full time NHLer 14-15 Sheahan never never played with Lucia either. Lucia's first year was 12-13!

No way Notre Dame is a top 5 in GP

Haula, Rau, Bjugstad, Reilly, Skjei, Schmidt, Helgeson, all played in the 12-13 season for MN and all have played in the NHL this year

WI had a blueline that consisted of McD, Gardiner, B. Smith, Schultz, Golobuf, one year. All NHL regulars this year.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
So I was wrong about a few things there (not sure how I managed the Sheahan thing) but Notre Dame has a few guys arriving (Hinostroza, Johns, Russo, Tynan). And I will say that Schultz has to be one of the worst NHL regulars of the past three years.

I guess my point is that the BCHL is probably not much better than Minnesota High School, although Shattuck will throw the numbers off.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
So I was wrong about a few things there (not sure how I managed the Sheahan thing) but Notre Dame has a few guys arriving (Hinostroza, Johns, Russo, Tynan). And I will say that Schultz has to be one of the worst NHL regulars of the past three years.

I guess my point is that the BCHL is probably not much better than Minnesota High School, although Shattuck will throw the numbers off.

Shattuck isn't in the MSHSL, though they do lose to regular high schools in Minnesota from time to time.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Mike Reilly played in the BCHL after his draft year as well. Didn't seem to stagnate his development at all.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
Mike Reilly played in the BCHL after his draft year as well. Didn't seem to stagnate his development at all.

Mike Reilly weighed about 140 pounds when he was drafted. He would have been killed in college. So yeah, for him and I'm sure for others, a year in junior A was desirable. I'm just saying it wasn't for Lucia and positing that a more competitive league like the USHL would have been the better choice. (Penticton is a beautiful place I get that.)

plock

Sonic Reducer
Oct 5, 2013
Mill City

All those guys except Reilly started in the BCHA at around 16 years of age. I would rather see an 18 or 19 year old player, who has already been drafted ,playing in a better league than the BCHA.

forthewild

Aug 17, 2009
So in 3 games played Lucia has 2A and +2 rating, anyone know of how he actually looks?

Puhis

Nah.
Jul 4, 2011
Jaervenpaeae
So in 3 games played Lucia has 2A and +2 rating, anyone know of how he actually looks?

wpid-20131107__131108-WildLucia.jpg

Bonin21

May 1, 2014
Mike Reilly weighed about 140 pounds when he was drafted. He would have been killed in college. So yeah, for him and I'm sure for others, a year in junior A was desirable. I'm just saying it wasn't for Lucia and positing that a more competitive league like the USHL would have been the better choice. (Penticton is a beautiful place I get that.)
He was drafted after his junior year of high school. So graduating was the main reason he played a year after getting drafted.

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
All those guys except Reilly started in the BCHA at around 16 years of age. I would rather see an 18 or 19 year old player, who has already been drafted ,playing in a better league than the BCHA.

The thing is to take a trajectory up. MN HS<BCHL<NCAA<AHL<NHL

The quote is on these boards somewhere. About Joe Finley and Wheeler only being able to settle their score when Finley does a rehab stint in the AHL.

Coyle gets roughed up NCAA and destroys the Q using all the same tactics. Later defers to Parise and Koivu. Only this year do we see the flashes of what could be. Nino just the opposite. He wanted to shoot the game winner right away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad