Status
Not open for further replies.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
From the Strib...

With college seasons in the process of being completed, one player signed with the Wild on Saturday, another is close to signing and a couple more could be around the corner.

The Wild signed Gophers junior defenseman Nick Seeler to a two-year, entry-level deal starting next season and is in the process of signing Notre Dame senior forward Mario Lucia, sources said. The Wild also soon will talk with Boston College sophomore Alex Tuch, Boston College junior Adam Gilmour and Minnesota Duluth junior defenseman Carson Soucy to see whether they’re ready to turn pro.

“It was tough decision, but it just came to me and felt like the right decision,†said Seeler, 22, a 2011 fifth-round draft pick. “It’s a great opportunity. The Gophers treated me so well and were going to welcome me back with open arms, but I just feel I’m ready to move on.â€

“He played in a shutdown role, and we envision him playing a similar role at the pro level,†General Manager Chuck Fletcher said. “He’s a highly competitive kid, defends well, is a good skater and physical.â€

Lucia, a 2011 second-round pick who led the Fighting Irish with 21 goals last season, finished this season with 24 points. He is set to graduate in May and could start in Iowa on an amateur tryout.

With all college prospects, when Tuch, Gilmour and Soucy are ready to meet, Fletcher will present them with the pros and cons of leaving school and will first talk to their college coaches.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Getting all these college guys to the AHL now will keep them protected in the expansion draft next year.

forthewild

Aug 17, 2009
Getting all these college guys to the AHL now will keep them protected in the expansion draft next year.

Yup, plus you never know when a guy will end up being a good player for you. Seeler or Lucia may not get you excited but they can surprise you.

Hope Tuch and Eriksson-Ek join them in Iowa for the next year.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Are you saying that kids that Wild hold rights to are NOT automatically protected ?

Please explain. Thanks

College players will only be protected for two years after their draft. Thus guys like Tuch, we need him to turn pro so then he's protected by the first or second year pro on an elc contract rule.

Mickey the mouse

Jun 30, 2013
There's talk that unsigned college kids who have played 2 years could be exposed.

Wow, 1st I've heard of that .

If true everything makes sense.

Thanks very much

Also,

Does that mean any kid that is drafted from 2014 draft or prior even if they don't play college and play over seas or Jr's ?

Last edited:

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I can see very few college players being drafted over actual NHL'ers/AHL'ers by an expansion team.

Last edited:

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
I don't know why everyone is so worried about losing players; the general consensus is that we draft and develop terribly so what's the risk?

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Wow, is that really true about the college kids during the expansion? Is it really decided upon, or is that just something on the table? Anyway, the only one I'd really worry about getting snatched up is Tuch. We need to get that kid signed ASAP!

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
1. Tuch
2. Belpedio
3. who cares

I'd certainly like to get Gilmour signed. A big-bodied center who can pitch in with some points here and there and has played well with Tuch at BC. I don't think he'll be a superstar in the NHL, but I think he could develop into a nice 3rd line center who could step onto the 2nd line in a pinch. At the very least, he'd help out Iowa.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
Curious to see how Lucia does in the pros. He was a phenom in Penticton but never really grew over his four years in college.

Hey so was Wade Murphy! Who went on to have four points in two years at UND.

Lucia should not have gone to the BCHL. Beautiful part of the country, not a good developmental league for him.

forthewild

Aug 17, 2009
Hey so was Wade Murphy! Who went on to have four points in two years at UND.

Lucia should not have gone to the BCHL. Beautiful part of the country, not a good developmental league for him.

He wanted to play NCAA so he couldn't go to Junior. Was to early to sign for AHL. That was the best available for him

Lets give him a year in Iowa before we judge

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
He wanted to play NCAA so he couldn't go to Junior. Was to early to sign for AHL. That was the best available for him

Lets give him a year in Iowa before we judge

2010 USHL Draft saw a few good players selected: Hudson Fasching, Jordan Oesterle, Shayne Gostisbehere, Adam Erne, Anthony DeAngelo, Lucas Lessio, Paul LaDue...Mario Lucia. Of course the AHL wasn't an option for a high school kid, but the USHL would have been a far better option. Not sure what the reasoning was there, but I think it had a negative impact.

Of course no one should label him a bust but I think it's fair to wonder about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad