Confirmed with Link: Wild sign G Brody Hoffman and D Zach Palmquist

Status
Not open for further replies.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN

the minnesota wild has agreed to terms with goaltender brody hoffman and defenseman zach palmquist to entry-level contracts for the 2015-16 season.

Hoffman, 24 (2/18/91), went 13-6-2 with a 2.06 goals-against average (gaa), a .922 save percentage (sv%) and one shutout in 22 games during his junior season with the university of vermont in 2014-15. He ranked second in hockey east and 18th in the ncaa in gaa. The 6-foot-4, 205-pound native of wilkie, saskatchewan, posted a record of 34-33-9 with a 2.45 gaa, a .914 sv% and three shutouts in 78 games during three seasons with the catamounts.

He went 10-8-1 with a 2.11 gaa and a .925 sv% in 20 games during his sophomore season and ranked third in hockey east and 11th nationally in gaa and fifth in the league and 18th in the ncaa in sv%. He went 11-19-6 with a 2.86 gaa, a .904 sv% and two shutouts in 36 games for vermont during his freshman season in 2012-13. Hoffman became the first catamounts goalie to start every regular season game since tim thomas (1996-97). He was the only rookie in the nation to start every regular season contest and was named to the hockey east all-academic team.

Palmquist, 24 (12/9/90), served as an alternate captain and ranked tied for fourth on the team in scoring with 29 points (8-21=29) including four power-play goals and 22 penalty minutes (pim) in 40 games during his senior season for the minnesota state mavericks in 2014-15. The 6-foot, 175-pound native of south st. Paul, minn., did not miss a game during his four seasons at minnesota state playing in a school record 160 consecutive contests and recorded 96 points (25-71=96) and 109 pim. His point total ranks t-1st amongst school defenseman in the division i-era (1996-97 to present). Palmquist was named to the all-wcha first team in 2013-14 and 2014-15 and a wcha all-academic selection in 2012-13, 2013-14 and 2014-15.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Nice low risk, high reward type moves.

It would be nice to find another gem like Justin Fontaine....

J22*

Every time Fletcher signs a guy like these two, I care less and less about him trading late round picks for rentals.

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
Saw a little bit of Palmquist down in Mankato. Was solid and consistent, but I didn't see too much to write home about. Of course, that was a couple years ago and I'm sure his game has matured since then.

Good signings that have the potential to have bigger rewards than risk.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Every time Fletcher signs a guy like these two, I care less and less about him trading late round picks for rentals.

With the ever-increasing number of NCAA players now in the NHL, it begs the question: what is a more "sure thing": spending a late round round pick on an 18 year old or signing a "late bloomer" 22-24 year old free-agent player out of college?

Like you said, when Fletcher can find guys like Folin and Fontaine without having to give up any assets, it takes a lot of the sting out of trading away late round picks.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
all these signings must mean a few iowa wild players are getting the boot. ps both iowa goalies are not signed for next year so i could see us going with michalek & hofman.

Last edited:

tyratoku

May 28, 2010
MN
all these signings must mean a few iowa wild players are getting the boot.

For the best. Quite a few forwards down there that produce little and just take up roster spots. The defense isn't much better.

Of the two CHL free agent pickups last year Brassart was less than impressive. Then guys like Bussieres and Bulmer have severely underwhelmed.

And stable, healthy guys would be nice. Every other week they sign someone new on an ATO to plug into the lineup.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
For the best. Quite a few forwards down there that produce little and just take up roster spots. The defense isn't much better.

Of the two CHL free agent pickups last year Brassart was less than impressive. Then guys like Bussieres and Bulmer have severely underwhelmed.

And stable, healthy guys would be nice. Every other week they sign someone new on an ATO to plug into the lineup.

Yeah, I won't pretend that I really keep tabs on Iowa, but from everything I read, they are pretty awful. Some new blood can't be a bad thing.

State of Hockey

Oct 9, 2006
Good to see Palmquist get a shot with the hometown team. He will be missed here in Mankato. I think he's got a shot at an AHL career. I question his NHL chances though. He was a great player for the Mavs, but he seemed to be pretty done progressing. He's a very good skater and plays a smart all-around game. Good puck mover. But he's a bit undersized and doesn't have a good shot.

College FAs are still no substitute for draft picks, aside from maybe goalies. It's rare for a college FA to become more than a depth player, since they're basically done "blooming". Most never make it and the ones that do usually just fill out a roster. At least with mid-late rounders you have a small chance of finding a really good to elite player.

Palmquist is a really good college player. If he were three inches taller and 30 pounds heavier I'd be a little more excited about him.
That would be a great way to put it.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
College FAs are still no substitute for draft picks, aside from maybe goalies. It's rare for a college FA to become more than a depth player, since they're basically done "blooming". Most never make it and the ones that do usually just fill out a roster. At least with mid-late rounders you have a small chance of finding a really good to elite player.

You can say the exact same thing about any player drafted between the 4th and 7th rounds.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I am now aware these two people exist.

I laughed a lot but it's the same thing for me. Oh well. Palmquist looks like a nice signing, could eventually turn into a serviceable bottom pairing guy, but Hoffman just seems like depth for Iowa, which is fine.

Randy BoBandy

Cheeseburger Party
May 9, 2011
Sunnyvale
I played with Palmquist for years. He has always been a great skater.

I'm glad he is getting a shot, especially with the Wild. He will help in Iowa for sure. Love it Fletch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad