Rumor: Wild looking to trade Olofsson

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
A look at the Wild's roster and depth chart after Saturday's...

— The Wild still have nine defensemen on the roster, with Nate Prosser, Ryan Murphy and Gustav Olofsson in addition to their top six.

While there is roster room to keep eight, the feeling all camp is the team would prefer to keep seven to provide more salary-cap room than the $1.77 million it would have if it kept Olofsson and Prosser or Murphy.

Olofsson got hurt in the first preseason game. He began practicing again Friday and is on a one-way contract that would pay him $725,000 if he played in the NHL or AHL. Sources do say the Wild are trying to trade Olofsson.

If they can’t, the fact is, just or unjust, contracts do sometimes sway the decision-making process and Olofsson perhaps could start the season with Minnesota because of that.

Looks like the Wild have seen enough of Gustav Olofsson...

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
I take that more as they do not want to keep 725k of cap in the AHL, or they do not want to waive more than one of Murphy/Olofsson/Prosser

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I take that more as they do not want to keep 725k of cap in the AHL, or they do not want to waive more than one of Murphy/Olofsson/Prosser
A year ago, they considered him part of their future going forward, but another year of stagnation as a player, I think they have agreed that he isn't likely to have an impact here long term moving forward.

I don't think they fear losing him via waivers at all, but don't want to pay his $725k in the AHL if he clears either (would not count against the cap if he was in the AHL, but would still cost REAL dollars).

Reactions: Joel Ward

logik47

Sep 14, 2014
With Seeler and Pateryn anchoring the 3rd pairing plus Murphy/Prosser/Soucy as the 7th defenseman, that,s not really surprising.

The Avalanche was reportedly looking to add a depth d-man. Maybe Olofsson would be a good fit over there...

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
That puts Carrick, Koekkoek, and now Olofsson on the block.
Its's going to be hard to find takers for any of them at this time of the year, imo.

north49er

Dec 20, 2017
With Seeler and Pateryn anchoring the 3rd pairing plus Murphy/Prosser/Soucy as the 7th defenseman, that,s not really surprising.

The Avalanche was reportedly looking to add a depth d-man. Maybe Olofsson would be a good fit over there...
That 3rd pairing are definitely anchors......

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Its's going to be hard to find takers for any of them at this time of the year, imo.

I agree. Especially when teams will be forced to put these guys on waivers. A trade seems unwise when waivers are just around the corner.

I think it's a nice gesture, but it's lip service for players and fans.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
I agree. Especially when teams will be forced to put these guys on waivers. A trade seems unwise when waivers are just around the corner.

I think it's a nice gesture, but it's lip service for players and fans.
Tampa and Toronto I believe have room to keep Koek/CC on the roster and not waive them. Tampa just wants to move Koekkoek to make a spot for Cernak who had a strong camp but got sent to the AHL, and I take it Toronto just prefers Ozhiganov.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Tampa and Toronto I believe have room to keep Koek/CC on the roster and not waive them. Tampa just wants to move Koekkoek to make a spot for Cernak who had a strong camp but got sent to the AHL, and I take it Toronto just prefers Ozhiganov.
Even the Wild have room to keep Olofsson, he just hasn't done enough to show he deserves the spot over others.

Russo said he even thinks Olofsson may make the initial opening roster just because they don't want to pay his NHL salary while in the minors, but that's no guarantee either.

All the teams in question have the cap space needed, they just would rather move on from said players.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
Even the Wild have room to keep Olofsson, he just hasn't done enough to show he deserves the spot over others.

Russo said he even thinks Olofsson may make the initial opening roster just because they don't want to pay his NHL salary while in the minors, but that's no guarantee either.

All the teams in question have the cap space needed, they just would rather move on from said players.
But do the wild have the roster space to carry 9 dmen? They would have to have literally no extra forwards

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
But do the wild have the roster space to carry 9 dmen? They would have to have literally no extra forwards
The wild are already down to 24 players. Rumor is they want to artificially accrue space by carrying only 7 D and 22 players which would mean 2 D get sent down right now.

The only question is, do they want to send down BOTH Prosser and Murphy and keep Olofsson on the roster for now (if they really do want to keep only 22 total players with 7 of those being D), or are they willing to pay his $725k in the minors and keep either Prosser or Murphy whom they like better?

They have $1.77m in cap space AS IS, so they have the cap space for whatever they decide, but since cap is calculated daily, more can be obtained for future potential deals by saving now if you can. It's what all playoff teams close to the cap should be considering.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario

Yeah I don't see any of them standing out from the pack enough to go after them in a trade, when you can likely land a similar caliber player on waivers today.

SteadyFreddie

Jun 11, 2018
It will be interesting to see what will happen with these D-men in the next couple of days. Speaking from a leafs standpoint, Ozhiganov stole Carrick's role as the 6th D-man for Toronto and it's clear that Carrick's days with the leafs are numbered. I'd love to see them trade him for a late round pick, but wouldn't be surprised if they lost him to waivers.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
After drafting the Johansson's, the wild realized they could only have so many Swedish D prospects in the system.

I doubt Olofsson's ability to stay healthy more than I doubt his hockey tools and talent. If a team has room for him, he would be a good risk for a 7 th, or something like that. BUF maybe?

Bruce Granville

Oct 11, 2014
After drafting the Johansson's, the wild realized they could only have so many Swedish D prospects in the system.

I doubt Olofsson's ability to stay healthy more than I doubt his hockey tools and talent. If a team has room for him, he would be a good risk for a 7 th, or something like that. BUF maybe?
So, what do we get for Olofsson and our 2nd round pick?

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I think he was saying Buffalo should trade a 7th for Olofsson.

Yup. Or MTL, or some team that is rebuilding and has a need for a LHD. Even something as little as swapping Olofsson and a 7th for someone's 5th/6th is better than nothing.

The guy can skate, handle the puck a bit, and might have the ability to play both ways. He just hasn't been able to get NHL time due to numbers and poor health...mostly his shoulder, I think. Mike Reilly is giving the Habs good value. Olofsson was thought by most Wild fans to be of similar quality, though he is a different type of player. Less offense, more defense.

Reactions: BHD

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017

That makes zero sense from Russo.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Wild keep 8 D. Murphy on waivers, Prosser and Olofsson both still on the roster. Wild are now at 23.

I'm guessing the Wild keep Olofsson until they find a taker for a modest return.

Reactions: BHD

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Wild keep 8 D. Murphy on waivers, Prosser and Olofsson both still on the roster. Wild are now at 23.

I'm guessing the Wild keep Olofsson until they find a taker for a modest return.
Olofsson can't be waived until he is medically cleared.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad