Wild card or bust

Status
Not open for further replies.

Al Lagoon

Feb 22, 2012
After seeing Nashville dominate large parts of last night's game, and knowing what Chicago and St. Louis bring to the table, I've concluded that the Wild aren't getting into the playoffs on a top 3 basis.

They looked great at the start of the season, but the goaltending allows a lot of softies, and the passive defending ingrained into these guys has taken hold again.

Even as the power play has improved, other areas have fallen off.

Elite team? No nay never.

Good team, yes, but not consistently.

It will be a dogfight to even get into the playoffs.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
To be fair, expecting us to be a top three team in this division was out of line even at the start of the season. It was very obvious that Nashville was so much better than they showed last season. Forsberg's accelerated development definitely helped, but even without him turning into a PPG player overnight, Nashville was still going to leap up in the standings. Winnipeg has a good team as well (aside from goaltending, which is shaky like ours), and should not be a surprise. Dallas made the playoffs last year, and got better in the offseason.

So yes, saying that we should be a clear top three team in this division was an extremely bold statement. Not saying we can't, at least couldn't, have done it, but people were setting themselves up for disappointment by assuming we would be.

Al Lagoon

Feb 22, 2012
To be fair, expecting us to be a top three team in this division was out of line even at the start of the season. It was very obvious that Nashville was so much better than they showed last season. Forsberg's accelerated development definitely helped, but even without him turning into a PPG player overnight, Nashville was still going to leap up in the standings. Winnipeg has a good team as well (aside from goaltending, which is shaky like ours), and should not be a surprise. Dallas made the playoffs last year, and got better in the offseason.

So yes, saying that we should be a clear top three team in this division was an extremely bold statement. Not saying we can't, at least couldn't, have done it, but people were setting themselves up for disappointment by assuming we would be.

I never expected Nashville to be that good, nor the Jets. Laviolette, he's the real deal.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I never expected Nashville to be that good, nor the Jets. Laviolette, he's the real deal.

Some people didn't expect Nashville to be this good, and I didn't really expect them to be fighting for a top 2 spot either, but I definitely knew they'd be fighting for a top 3 spot, and I'm by no means the brightest hockey mind on this board, so I know other people expected them to be good.

J22*

If you had told me before the season started that the Wild would have the worst goaltending and worst group of centers in the Central, I would've said that they have no chance at even competing for a wild card spot.

Minny Lakes

Apr 4, 2013

Winnipeg's goaltending isn't shaky at all, their goalies are the main reason they are in the playoff hunt. 4th best in Goals Allowed and their only 23rd in goal scoring as an offense.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
Right now the Wild have 4 things working against them, three of which were not present at the start of the season

1. Lack of confidence. We look lost a lot out there right now. When the season started our guys had a lot of confidence in each other and that showed with how we dominated games, sometimes for a full 60 minutes. Our posession game was top of the league. We shut everyone the hell down and threw everything at the opposing goalie. We still do this sometimes, but not often. We don't look confident at all anymore.

2. Swiss Cheese Kuemper. He started out awesome. Then his waiver excemption went away just as he was starting to suck. Now he's hot garbage and literally costing us games, particularly those where Yeo has refused to pull him before its too late.

3. The Mother****ing Mumps. Our blue line has been annihilated by this. Enough said.

And my last point and the one that has been present since day one

4. The powerless powerplay. Its cost us several games and has been discussed to death elsewhere so I'm not gonna bother going in depth.

Taylor26

Nov 12, 2011
minneapolis
I agree with everything you said above and let me expand a little. Confidence issue is a huge thing. The PP I feel is directly correlated to that as well. I believe our confidence was shaken not only from the early PP woes but the failure to close out games early in the season. Blowing leads is a quick way to destroy that. It seems to me that right now were not totally on the same page, a team must have this to win. Watch the top teams in the league Chicago, LA , Anahiem From their goalie to D men to Forwards they all seem to be on the same page as a team and cohesive unit.

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota
The lack of urgency to address the horrid PP is what concerns me.

im sorry bruno, but w/e ur doing is not working, you gotta go.

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
I said before the season we'd place 3rd, 4th or 5th in the division. The 4th place will most likely produce a wild card playoff spot, but if we place 5th, who knows. But there's still a possibility we'll pass Winnipeg and take that 4th place, that hasn't been lost (yet). This division is tough, assuming we'd take a direct playoff spot was highly optimistic to begin with. Our young players haven't finished developing and sadly the age difference between them and our veterans is not optimal, it's too big. I mean, how many top players between 25 and 28 do we have?

Ladde

Apr 28, 2012
There´s still about 50games left. Preditions are too hard to make at this point but it does look like it´s the wildcard again.

TopShelfGinos

Dec 9, 2014
Minnesota
Hey guys new poster here who decided to join so that i could share in the agony of this underwhelming season with others. Honestly i see no way we make the playoffs without drastic changes in play and personnel. specifically in goal and down the middle. i just dont think our center depth will ever be good enough with koivu and granlund to be big threats come playoff time. Could be way off but thats just my 2 cents

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
We were in way worse shape last year at this time. Goaltending needs to be fixed, but other than that it's about just getting some confidence back in the scoring department.

Sharppi

4 more years of Dub.
Jul 15, 2011
Finland
Hey guys new poster here who decided to join so that i could share in the agony of this underwhelming season with others. Honestly i see no way we make the playoffs without drastic changes in play and personnel. specifically in goal and down the middle. i just dont think our center depth will ever be good enough with koivu and granlund to be big threats come playoff time. Could be way off but thats just my 2 cents

Welcome, there be only agony and sad posters in here. I sadly kinda agree with your assessment.

NHL1674

Whatever...
Sponsor
Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
cooktown-golf-club-stock-photo1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad