GDT: Wild @ Avs | 7pm MT |24/7 tonight at 8 MT

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
It was McNab picking the three stars. He said during a late commercial break that was going to pick Varlamov, Talbot and EJ and then Wild scored and screwed him over.

freeboy

Feb 27, 2012
Sunny Colorado
My bar turned off sound
Please put pressed post game in vid thread...
I'm glad we got a point and sorry Varly missed a shutout
We need offense from Staz line

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
EJ is a monster right now.

If they sit Barrie, I will be very disappointed. He played well tonight and adds some must need mobility to the blueline.

The entire second line has gone cold, and most of the first line. Has Stastny even put up a point since coming back?

Crisp Breakout

Jan 3, 2011
Chicago

If they sit Barrie, I will be very disappointed. He played well tonight and adds some must need mobility to the blueline.

The entire second line has gone cold, and most of the first line. Has Stastny even put up a point since coming back?

Guenin's the guy who has to be sat for Wilson. His play has been slightly downhill and we've seen the PK take a bit of a nosedive, so I say pair Wilson with Barrie each on their natural sides.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
It was McNab picking the three stars. He said during a late commercial break that was going to pick Varlamov, Talbot and EJ and then Wild scored and screwed him over.

I'm starting to get mildly annoyed with Patrick making distractions to avoid the negatives of his teams poor games, or letting points slip away like tonight, but he's got a point. What the hell did McNab pick all three Wild players in a game that went to the SO on home ice for? They're the home team. Give EJ or Talbot a star for scoring for christs sakes. At least one.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

He played better than last game, and made a couple nice plays, but he still looked lost on a great many shifts. He has a hard time figuring out who his man is in coverage, and sticking to him. It leads to a lot of sustained pressure and scoring chances.

I agree though he shouldn't sit, it should be Sarich. He was worse, and Wilson's game is closer to his then Barrie's anyway.

Taak19

Sep 22, 2011
I know its just dumb but how does Harding get 2nd star of the game with the exact same stats as Varly other than the win while Varly gets nothing.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Not that it really matters but Wilson is off IR officially.

I hate it when the home team loses something like 5-1 and the home media is compelled to give someone from their side a star, other teams are much worse at this than ours. A 2-1 game yeah it should be a mix.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Tanguay has consistently put up more goals per season than all of those players.

Landy and ROR haven't played on the wing in the NHL long enough for you to say that not is it true without reaching back to when both weren't even in juniors.. And he hasn't scored goals at a higher pace than McGinn or Parenteau since before either one became established nhlers.

AvalancheFan19

May 3, 2009
Mackinnon and Duchene's selfishness bother me a lot. Not saying I know the game better than them but it seems they have plenty of opportunities to pass or cycle and end up just trying to do something too much. O'Reilly isn't being used properly with those two outside of a couple decent plays a night. I want him with Stastny and Landeskog. That won't happen because then Duchene/Mackinnon line will be lost defensively.. I'd love to see for a night

McGinn-Duchene-P.A
Landeskog-Stastny-Mackinnon
Mitchell (Tanguay when health)-O'Reilly-Talbot

The logjam at centre makes this very difficult, awesome problem to have I guess. Poor Roy :(

Edit: Essentially I want to go back to becoming a threat on three separate lines. Remember when teams were getting dominated by our third line?

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Just handed the Wild two points and now we're tied.

How does Guenin **** up a routine play like that? He has to hurry a bit but it's him all alone and he has a guy wide open behind the net and he fans on the pass. There were other breakdowns that led to the goal but it all started with that play.

Roy/Guenin is starting to reach Sacco/Hunwick levels. Get this guy out of the line up already. Our 20-something ranked PK isn't going to get any worse if he's not there. It was a nice little story but he's not good.

Didn't get anything from the Stastny line again and I thought Duchene had a lot of trouble with the puck. Anytime he got it on the rush, it seemed like he couldn't handle it tonight.

EJ makes so many smart little plays now. I love it. Parise had no room to do anything anytime EJ and Hejda were on the ice. Of course when they weren't on the ice against him, the Wild had a few scoring chances. Like the one where Barrie and Guenin just let him walk out in front of the net untouched for a scoring chance.

MacKinnon is still doing everything at full speed. Once he starts slowing things down or when the rest of his game catches up to his speed, he's going to be scary good.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Just handed the Wild two points and now we're tied.

How does Guenin **** up a routine play like that? He has to hurry a bit but it's him all alone and he has a guy wide open behind the net and he fans on the pass. There were other breakdowns that led to the goal but it all started with that play.

Roy/Guenin is starting to reach Sacco/Hunwick levels. Get this guy out of the line up already. Our 20-something ranked PK isn't going to get any worse if he's not there. It was a nice little story but he's not good.

Didn't get anything from the Stastny line again and I thought Duchene had a lot of trouble with the puck. Anytime he got it on the rush, it seemed like he couldn't handle it tonight.

EJ makes so many smart little plays now. I love it. Parise had no room to do anything anytime EJ and Hejda were on the ice. Of course when they weren't on the ice against him, the Wild had a few scoring chances. Like the one where Barrie and Guenin just let him walk out in front of the net untouched for a scoring chance.

MacKinnon is still doing everything at full speed. Once he starts slowing things down or when the rest of his game catches up to his speed, he's going to be scary good.

If the bolded part happens for Mackinnon, he's going to be one of the very best players in the league. If he can do everything at the top flight speed and do it well, he's going to simply be impossible to stop, borderline generational talent.

If he slows down his game a little he's still obviously going to be a very good talented likely PPG player. But if he can keep the game at the high speed he's at now and teach himself to bring the other aspects of his game up to that level, then look out cause he will be an absolute monster.

Also, once again cant say enough about EJ. Its incredibly the difference we've seen from last year to this year with him. And its only been 3 months with Roy and the new coaching group. He's still going to continue to get better, and with the chances he's been creating offensively, his offensive numbers will still climb. At this point I'd say the "worst 1st overall pick since Dipietro" label he's sort of been given was definitely jumping the gun.

IMO its not out of the realm for him to develop into a Norris level Dman still. Defensively he's easily already there. We just have to see if the offense can improve to the 45-55 point level to go along with the Elite defense. If it does, I see no reason why he cant win a Norris in his late 20's or early 30's.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Guenin only played 15:59 and didn't touch the ice after the goal against. I feel pretty confident he won't be in the lineup on Monday.

Please move MacKinnon back to center.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Guenin only played 15:59 and didn't touch the ice after the goal against. I feel pretty confident he won't be in the lineup on Monday.

Please move MacKinnon back to center.

I didn't notice, but are you sure he didn't have a shift after the GA? It was late in the period, and it's not that odd he wouldn't have a shift in OT.

Hopefully you're right because that means Roy's getting a little fed up with the D's mistakes. Even though I'm pretty sure he does it just to keep guys positive, it's a little tough to hear him say he thinks the D's played well, or specifically say he through Holden and Guenin have played well, when it's pretty clear they haven't.

I don't think it's fair though if he scratches Guenin over Sarich next game. Sarich has been much worse, he just didn't have his mistakes end up in the back of the net.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I didn't notice, but are you sure he didn't have a shift after the GA? It was late in the period, and it's not that odd he wouldn't have a shift in OT.

Hopefully you're right because that means Roy's getting a little fed up with the D's mistakes. Even though I'm pretty sure he does it just to keep guys positive, it's a little tough to hear him say he thinks the D's played well, or specifically say he through Holden and Guenin have played well, when it's pretty clear they haven't.

I don't think it's fair though if he scratches Guenin over Sarich next game. Sarich has been much worse, he just didn't have his mistakes end up in the back of the net.

It's because Sarich's mistakes the last few games have not been as glaringly bad as Guenin's. When Guenin makes a mistake, usually it is of the catastrophic type and ends up in the back of our net, whereas Sarich to me makes little mistakes that he's able to recover from a lot of the time. Guenin needs to sit

In saying that, I don't think it's entirely Guenin's fault. He needs to be paired with the right partner, and playing him with another right handed defenseman who hasn't played more than 70 NHL games probably isn't the way to go

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado

http://www.nhl.com/scores/htmlreports/20132014/TH020497.HTM
Goal happened with 4:48 left in the 3rd, he didn't touch the ice in the final 9+ minutes of the game. He was on the ice the other night in OT quite a bit. I don't think they were happy about it. Barrie only had one more shift the rest of the game, and that was in OT.

I thought Sarich was brutal against Winnipeg, but I didn't have a huge issue with his game last night. I think he's better with the puck than Guenin, and has a surprisingly strong break out pass.

Joe Sakic

Kaut + 1st
Jul 19, 2010
Colorado
I thought EJ was an absolute machine out there tonight. Best I've ever seen him play I swear. If he can learn to consistently play like he did tonight we without a doubt have our franchise #1 defenseman.

Wouldn't mind seeing Wilson replace Guenin next game but if Wilson doesn't find his game within 3 games I want Guenin back in for him. A fine tuned Wilson is much, much better than Guenin. However if he can't find his game he's even worse than Guenin imo and he should be sat.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Much rather see Guenin paired with Wilson than Barrie. Wilson-Guenin started to look like they were finding cohesion before the injury. Not a big fan of Benoit-Barrie either though, so maybe Wilson-Barrie and Benoit-Guenin next game?

Would be nice if Stastny and Landy could put up more points, but last night was not a good situation to do that. They did well it seemed defensively and really limited the zone time/quality chances for the Wild, but that was just my impression during the game. I think it is expecting a lot of that line to carry the scoring when Dutch line struggles and to carry the hard assignments.

HockeyFan100

Oct 7, 2012
Much rather see Guenin paired with Wilson than Barrie. Wilson-Guenin started to look like they were finding cohesion before the injury. Not a big fan of Benoit-Barrie either though, so maybe Wilson-Barrie and Benoit-Guenin next game?

Why Guenin over Sarich?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad