Confirmed with Link: Wild acquire Will Butcher from Penguins for Maxim Cajkovic

Wabit

May 23, 2016
GMBG get bored and made a trade just to entertain himself?

Jbcraig1883

Mar 31, 2002
Virginia
My guess is they are aware there are no veteran D in Iowa that can provide some presence to all the young D, plus he can be called up. It could also be a sign they are going to send Mermis down at some point because they think Butcher may be able to do more than he or Merrill?

Reactions: Obvious Fabertism

Wasted Talent

Sponsor
Aug 9, 2011
Butcher had a 44 point rookie season in 17-18, but has bounced around a few teams and hasn't seen NHL ice time after 21-22.

Let's just hope he won't be getting AHL ice time at the expense of our D prospects.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
It's just depth with NHL experience.
We have Brodin, Middleton, Goligoski, Merrill, Mermis, Hunt, O’Rourke, Lambos and now Butcher as left handed dmen. How much depth do we really need?

Johansson yes, ROR no. ROR has been the better player and is playing the harder matchups.
Is Johansson still playing top pair for Iowa? I’ve admittedly not been paying super close attention.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Is that all that's keeping him up? Seems like O'Rourke or Johansson would be equal or better candidates.

ROR is playing higher in the lineup and tougher matchup from the little I've watched Iowa. They are a hard to to watch.

Jbcraig1883

Mar 31, 2002
Virginia
We have Brodin, Middleton, Goligoski, Merrill, Mermis, Hunt, O’Rourke, Lambos and now Butcher as left handed dmen. How much depth do we really need?

Is Johansson still playing top pair for Iowa? I’ve admittedly not been paying super close attention.
Johansson has been playing on the 2nd pair and does get more ice time than Lambos. However, he has very little potential left, if any, and is only slightly better than Lambos defensively, IMO.

Spacek has been getting a lot more ice time lately and has looked far better. No one is playing great mind you, but they have been terrible.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
None of which, even Brodin, should sniff anywhere near a NHL power play at this point.

They probably don't think O'Rourke or Lambos are even close. Which makes them thin if we get more D injuries.
He's Faber goes down insurance. Nothing more.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
My guess is they are aware there are no veteran D in Iowa that can provide some presence to all the young D, plus he can be called up. It could also be a sign they are going to send Mermis down at some point because they think Butcher may be able to do more than he or Merrill?
Butcher is WAY worse defensively than Mermis. The only thing that he can do ok, and this was years ago, is man the PP, and i don't know WTH you'd take Faber off it. Seems a weird trade for a veteran dman with no upside, but BG likes those kind of guys. Butcher has zero grit, though, so kind of puzzling. Might as well have kept Addison.

Reactions: Jbcraig1883

mezcal

Wild Complacency
Feb 19, 2013
CA
Looks like Butcher is one of Hynes guys?

Hynes

1.png

Butchers best NHL seasons

2.png

Lol this guy is gonna be playing in the NHL again

Reactions: 57special

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
Shocking that Butcher is an ex-Penguin.

Does BG have a single trade that isn’t Pens related?

Wasted Talent

Sponsor
Aug 9, 2011
Shocking that Butcher is an ex-Penguin.

Does BG have a single trade that isn’t Pens related?

I think Guerin is mostly interested in Penguins from the time when Guerin himself was with the Pens.

This is probably more about the Hynes connection, as pointed out above.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
I think Guerin is mostly interested in Penguins from the time when Guerin himself was with the Pens.

This is probably more about the Hynes connection, as pointed out above.
This. I also think that Guerin knows people in the front office in Pittsburgh, which makes it easier to make deals with them. It's easier to trade with friends than it is with people you don't really know. I do wonder if other front offices have this same effect going on with their GMs. My guess would be yes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad