Post-Game Talk: Why would you name your team after politicians? Sens @ Caps 7:07PM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
Karlsson on goal 501:

requesting-fly-by-o.gif

Dueling Banjos

Oct 29, 2014
You guys think Grubauer will start looking for starter job elsewhere after this season? He is pretty good.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
You guys think Grubauer will start looking for starter job elsewhere after this season? He is pretty good.

I'm sure he'd like to but he's under contract next season, so no. After the headache with Justin Peters as backup last year I don't think the Caps will be able to move who in my opinion is a top 5 backup in the league.

Dueling Banjos

Oct 29, 2014
I am sure he won't have problem with being back up goalie for another year, especially now that Caps are on the mission but after that he's probably gone i d say.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
who was the defenseman Ov smoked for the OT winner on Saturday?

Grubauer is an rfa after next season. He's not going anywhere.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013

Yes, if some team sees him as their potential NHL starter. He's not going to get more than 15 games from Holtby in a season.

They'll have to pay the assets required to get him though. Propably around the same as Senators got for Lehner when he was traded. He's going to be cheap and great backup to Caps for atleast few years, so they'll have no reason to trade him otherwise.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Ovechtrick:

- Islanders Defenseman, Travis Hamonic bulldozed by Ovechkin
- Rangers Defenseman, Ryan McDonagh used as a screen by Ovechkin for OT winner, goal 499
- Senators Defenseman, Erik Karlsson taken to lunch by Ovechkin for goal 501

Fallschirmyager

Jun 25, 2009
Yes, if some team sees him as their potential NHL starter. He's not going to get more than 15 games from Holtby in a season.

They'll have to pay the assets required to get him though. Propably around the same as Senators got for Lehner when he was traded. He's going to be cheap and great backup to Caps for atleast few years, so they'll have no reason to trade him otherwise.

Unless a quality backup is ready to go I'd say there's no chance.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Rick Nash and Ryan McDonagh. He burned Nash to the outside with speed and used McDonagh as a screen.

Right. These players are prepared by video. Why are we making a joke of Karlsson getting burned by Ovechkin? Ov cut to the slot in front of McDonagh and shot thru him to score the winner the day before. Karlsson had seen that. Been prepared by coaches to watch for that.

Karlsson moves to take that move away and Ovechkin uses that to go by him. One goal sets up the other goal. This is more proof that Ov is unreal and less proof that Karlsson is bad defending.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

just so we are clear. Grubauer can not go looking for a starters job. The Capitals hold his rights for years to come still. No NHL team may talk to the agent about him without the Capitals expressed permission until he is an rfa at which time the Caps may match.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
just so we are clear. Grubauer can not go looking for a starters job. The Capitals hold his rights for years to come still. No NHL team may talk to the agent about him without the Capitals expressed permission until he is an rfa at which time the Caps may match.

I know.

I'm just stating that if he goes on a tear on the games he gets, there will be teams calling for his services, that think he can be a starter in this league. I'm pretty sure if that happens then Grubauer will see that for himself too, and might request a trade. That's what great backups have always done, you don't get paid much, no matter how well you play if you only get 10-15 games in a season. Do that with another team for 40-50 games and you get paid 3 times more. It's still too early this season for these talks and while Grubauer has been good, i'm not sure he has enough games in his resume that teams start paying the premium to get him as their starter.

I'm not worried, at all though. Caps are propably the deepest team in the NHL in terms of goaltending talent, and when (and if) that day comes knocking, i'm sure GMBM will get a good return for him, and have capable replacement lined up.

4thTierSport

Feb 15, 2009
I want to watch some more Sens games because Karlsson seems to be a non-factor the majority of the time against the Caps.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Expansion could eventually play into their decision-making with Grubauer. That probably gives them this year and next at least with Grubauer and by that time Vanecek may be ready.

They've already proven themselves to be an able goaltending factory but, particularly if Reirden sticks around, they may be starting to be able to churn out or rehab defensemen as well. Not that they should trade Schmidt or Orlov of course but they're starting to have the stability and developmental ability of a strong organization. The last piece of the puzzle IMO is being a bit better at drafting and developing highly versatile and intelligent all-around forwards. If they can do that they should be in great shape.

Jun 15, 2007
In the offseason, we should definitely see if there's any interest for Grubauer. Not saying to trade him for the sake of trading him but if it's a Martin Jones for a 1st round pick type deal you pull the trigger.

re: Expansion draft. Protecting two goalies is usually not worth it. We could do what San Jose did where they paid the expansion teams low draft picks so they wouldn't take Nabokov. Unless you meant trading him to an expansion team, which in case, of course.

Fallschirmyager

Jun 25, 2009
In the offseason, we should definitely see if there's any interest for Grubauer. Not saying to trade him for the sake of trading him but if it's a Martin Jones for a 1st round pick type deal you pull the trigger.

re: Expansion draft. Protecting two goalies is usually not worth it. We could do what San Jose did where they paid the expansion teams low draft picks so they wouldn't take Nabokov. Unless you meant trading him to an expansion team, which in case, of course.

Unless someone offers an over payment that really fills a bigger need then I'd say hold what you got until his replacement is ready.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
In the interview after the game Gruby said smth along the lines "Im learning from Korn, trying to use Holtby as a model and to get closer to his level". His facial expression while saying so was very appreciative I'd say. Also he said he's started to feel the rhythm of playing once in 2 weeks or so. He's looked like a happy man.

I think he will gladly take the opportunity to sit behind Holtby for another season (next) and then they all will decide what to do.

I don't see a reason to keep him if he's good enough. McPhee didn't even do that with Varly. Just the price should be right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad