Why won't Molson cover for income taxes ?

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
It is well known that Montreal's taxes policy makes the Habs quite a bit unattracting for free agents who are going for big paychecks compare to a state like Florida that basically has no taxes on income. Montreal players will likely lose around 50% of their yearly salary to the government which is ridiculous considering most of them will only stay in Quebec for 2-3 years.

Now there is an alternative to this and I'm not sure why it has not been discuted yet. We're one of the richer teams in the league, but with the salary cap we can't just spend up to have a 100M payroll, unfortunately. But what can Molson do, is offer the government some money per year (not sure of the amount), to cover for the players' income taxes. Which would mean the Montreal Canadiens players wouldn't be taxed on their income anymore. So $6M would become... $6M. How magical ?

Basically if Player A wants a $7M salary and Montreal offers him that... his agent will tell him that after taxes, he'll only have around 3.5M left. No way he signs here.

Molson has enough money to cover for his players' taxes. That would be one loophole he could exploit. He needs to do it. Negociate something with the government, now ! We have not won the cup in more than 20 years, everything we can put to our advantage, we need to do it. And it starts now with Vanek.

dreamingofdrouin*

Somehow I think that's illegal. Be it federal or provincial law... Or just circumventing the cap.

Yah....seems like it.....but when you think about fairness...if florida can offer a guy 7 million and he gets 7 million, and montreal can offer a guy 7 million and he only gets 4, it's really not fair....but bettman will say o, suck it...your the ****ing canadiens you have enough money and enough fans...deal with it.....they will side with the little guys because they want balance...and giving us this option will only hurt smaller markets from signing the big name tuna's that attract fans

JLP

Refugee
Aug 16, 2005
Yup good point. Would level the playing field but it is not allowed if I remember correctly. Another example of how Canadian teams get taken in Bettman's NHL.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
It is well known that Montreal's taxes policy makes the Habs quite a bit unattracting for free agents who are going for big paychecks compare to a state like Florida that basically has no taxes on income. Montreal players will likely lose around 50% of their yearly salary to the government which is ridiculous considering most of them will only stay in Quebec for 2-3 years.

Now there is an alternative to this and I'm not sure why it has not been discuted yet. We're one of the richer teams in the league, but with the salary cap we can't just spend up to have a 100M payroll, unfortunately. But what can Molson do, is offer the government some money per year (not sure of the amount), to cover for the players' income taxes. Which would mean the Montreal Canadiens players wouldn't be taxed on their income anymore. So $6M would become... $6M. How magical ?

Basically if Player A wants a $7M salary and Montreal offers him that... his agent will tell him that after taxes, he'll only have around 3.5M left. No way he signs here.

Molson has enough money to cover for his players' taxes. That would be one loophole he could exploit. He needs to do it. Negociate something with the government, now ! We have not won the cup in more than 20 years, everything we can put to our advantage, we need to do it. And it starts now with Vanek.

1) It is cap circumvention

2) It is illegal from a tax point of view (the money Molson is fronting to pay the taxes indirectly goes to the players and thus, is taxable income)

3) Molson is rich but he isn't Daddy Warbucks with infinite money to throw around. Man, I don't know what it is with Montrealers in general but there seems to be this segment of the population that feel rich people shouldn't care about money because they are rich.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
Difference is around 200k for a mid level player..around 500k for elite players. Hence why all our players are overpaid (except Subban...Price is tax-free as a native)

fp0630_hockey_salaries9401.gif

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
One could argue that theoretically it's not illegal for an employer to pay an employee's income tax for them, but that's kind of a moot point, because there's no way to argue that it's not cap circumvention.

Stjonnypopo

Rgesitreed Uesr
Jan 26, 2009
Mount Doom
It would be cool if the NHL could take income tax into account, but it would have to be retroactive because if a player is traded it would mess everything up.

Maybe the cap could be based off of net salaries, and the team organizes itself to pay what's required?

Then again, this would never happen because the current structure favours USA based teams (and in turn, disadvantages Canadian teams) which isn't really considered a "problem" for the NHL aka Gary Bettman.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
maybe Molson should pay their grocery, car/house insurances, maybe their summer vacations too ?

Stjonnypopo

Rgesitreed Uesr
Jan 26, 2009
Mount Doom
Difference is around 200k for a mid level player..around 500k for elite players. Hence why all our players are overpaid (except Subban...Price is tax-free as a native)

Are you sure Price is tax-free? I know he's part native but I figure I would have heard about that before...

And would that mean that Bourque/Tootoo/Cheechoo didn't pay taxes either?

Somehow I doubt it...

Frankenheimer

Sir, this is an Arber
Feb 22, 2009
MTL
I agree with the idea that the salary cap should be calculated after taxes, or that it should have some impact on calculations. Not sure how that can be measured, but I'm sure it can. Im not sure the disparity is as large as 0% taxes in Florida and 70% taxes in Quebec, but it would be interesting to get the real numbers.

Edit, ok someone posted them. Good.

Prendan Brust

Jul 31, 2003
Québec

fp0630_hockey_salaries9401.gif

Price pays income taxes. Natives pay income taxes when they work outside a reserve. And unfortunately for most natives, there aren't many jobs on reserves...

JLP

Refugee
Aug 16, 2005
I don't know why my comment was removed, maybe I'm imaging that. Anyway from the US$ pay rate to the "revenue sharing" (CDN teams supporting southern teams) to the tax problem described in the OP which effectively lowers CDN teams' caps, to the recent Rogers deal (a bonanza of of Canadian cash that will be shared between all teams), there are many examples of how Canada is subsidizing the NHL.

This is just another example because clearly the Habs do not have a level playing field come UFA season.

Swarez

Mar 10, 2011
If company gives you money its taxable. If they give you money to cover taxes, its taxable benefit, which means taxed. You can not earn free money in North America, well not legally.

Plus what are saying it tax circumvention, you want Habs to double there payroll.

Swarez

Mar 10, 2011
BTW that article is now fairly out of date, Alberta now has lowest taxes in NA for people earning over $150K/year , Tax Free states have basically hit 40% because of US federal taxes.

RealityBytes

Trash Remover
Feb 11, 2013
These guys should all have pretty good accountants to help offset some of those taxes.

They do. Plus there is also the foreign entertainers tax act, Can-US tax agreements, plus additional job related deferments. They do not just pay the same income tax as a normal local working stiff who has none of these tax avoidances available.

If it really was as simple as the OP imagines, would any US/foreign player play in Canada in any sport? ... not only hockey, but also basketball & baseball. Would any entertainer perform here? A lot of these deferments were brought in to protect the Canadian movie/entertainment industry but they apply to sports as well.

Before statements are made, posters should check this out in further detail with a CA/CPA specializing in sports and entertainment.

Last edited:

Macs

Sep 7, 2008
Montreal
Pretty funny thread. Because you are a hockey superstar, you're not paying your income taxes.

If your employer pays your taxes, it is exactly as if he gave you more salary. Thus, you will pay tax on this additional income.

Trust me, I'm a CPA ;)

Barriwhite

Don’t be shocked by the tone of my voice
Nov 8, 2005
Montreal
This issue has been irrelevant for some time now. All they have to do us spend a day more than half the year in the us and they will only pay us federal and state tax. There is an exception specific to athletes part of leagues regularly playing in both countries in the us-can tax treaty. One of the reasons they bolt right after the habs are done at the end of the season/playoffs. Their accountants watch their agendas closely, and the fisc does too!

Edit: Source:

https://www.fin.gc.ca/treaties-conventions/usa_-eng.asp

Article XVI, 3(a)

Last edited:

Edgy

Nov 30, 2009
Because it makes no business sense for him to lose millions of dollars to cover players' taxes. This is a business and adding to your operating expenses diminishes your net profit which basically defeats the point of running a business.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad