News Article: Why we hate the Ottawa Senators [Broad Street Hockey]

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I must agree.... it's pretty lame. Loads of grammar mistakes too... those neanderthals in philly... ;)
if only i had a platform to write an article entitled "why i think Bill Matz is a moron"

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
lol...that's cute.

Hard to hate Philly sports fans. Unless they're beating up Santa, that is.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Is it normal if I wanted to stop after reading that?

...one of the most unlikable sports franchises in all of North American professional athletics (with all due respect to New England, Washington, and Dallas in the NFL, the Boston Red Sox, and pretty much anything emanating from New York City).

Why is anything from NY unlikable? Because NY is one of the greatest cities in the world? Smells more like some kind of inferiority complex than anything

But I still continued out of curiosity

So let’s start with their name.
The Ottawa Senators.
Oh cool, y’all are named after a branch of government. How inspiring!

Is it written by a 17 y/o who thinks everything governement is ugly/evil (I know a lot of older people still think that from their teenage years, hence the conspiracy theorists). The problem has never been "the government", it has always been corruption.

The name comes from the ancient Roman Senate (Latin: Senatus), so-called as an assembly of the senior (Latin: senex meaning "the elder" or "old man") and therefore allegedly wiser and more experienced members of the society or ruling class

So this is the oldest name in the whole NHL. Yes it was there before the super original "Canadiens", which is the name of a team that has a lot of fans that are Quebec separatists and think that rooting for "Les Canadiens" is rooting for Quebec! Go figure

Or maybe "Maple Leafs" is much more inspiring?

But who cares anyway? Those names were kept as traditions from a century + ago... Clearly that guy is a genius

When talking about Tkachuk check on Laughton, the guy said "Gutless. Ottawa typical."

lol there is no "Ottawa typical". I have never seen these words written together.

Anyway, scrolled through the rest, it seems way too stupid to even read. It's just a bunch of bullcrap from a bitter fan that saw his team get manhandled and could never get over it.

Reactions: variable26

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
I would probably never, ever take anything seriously that has been written by some Philly knuckledragger blogger. This guy was just taking the piss anyways but it wasn't even funny. No laughs.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
tenor.gif

Reactions: branch

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Fuel to the fire.

Will be nice to see Loughton & Tkachuk line up again to see what happens & what they decide to do. Philly is a good example of a team that hasn't had great goaltending since Bernie Parent.

BoardsofCanada

Aug 26, 2009
G.T.A.
I prefer to think the name Senators comes from the Roman Centurion:

The centurion was the commander of a centuria, which was the smallest unit of a Roman legion. A legion was nominally composed of 6,000 soldiers, and each legion was divided up into 10 cohorts, with each cohort containing 6 centuria.
box16302.jpg

I think it's a great name. It's better than Penguins, Panthers or Sharks.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
It took me a second to realize that it was written from the perspective of the Philadelphia Flyers.

I'm pretty sure Prussia still has it in for us after what we did to them in World War I.

But I can at least admire the attempt to be funny. I smiled a few times reading it.

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
Feeling inferior because Claude Giroux lives here in Ottawa when he isn't forced to be in Philly for his job.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Same.

The Flyers and Sens had a great low key rivalry in the 2000s. Would be great to have one again. You know, if we ever become relevant again.

They really did. So much random stuff happened during the regular seasons, there was always heat between them. The lindros hit on Dackel, the line brawl.

Then a few playoff series where the Sens destroyed them.

Good times!

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
Yeah i kind of enjoyed the Flyers rivalry, it was fun. Unfortunately i cant bring myself to hate them like the leafs or habs. I always kinda liked the Flyers. But if they want that hate, then that's great. i'll take it.

It is funny listening to it from a different perspective. I remember Leclair rolling his eyes as Hitchcock ordered him over the boards to fight. And i thought it was Sharp that told Spezza he had to drop them when the puck was dropped. But whatever, was a great game, i can see them being mad at Havlat though. And at losing to us, so im good.

Reactions: YouGotAStuGoing

guyzeur

Mar 25, 2009
Ottawa
I prefer to think the name Senators comes from the Roman Centurion:

The centurion was the commander of a centuria, which was the smallest unit of a Roman legion. A legion was nominally composed of 6,000 soldiers, and each legion was divided up into 10 cohorts, with each cohort containing 6 centuria.
box16302.jpg

I think it's a great name. It's better than Penguins, Panthers or Sharks.
No it comes from: "The Washington Senators baseball team was one of the American League's eight charter franchises. Now known as the Minnesota Twins, the club was founded in Washington, D.C. in 1901 as the Washington Senators."

:sarcasm:

Last edited:

guyzeur

Mar 25, 2009
Ottawa
They really did. So much random stuff happened during the regular seasons, there was always heat between them. The lindros hit on Dackel, the line brawl.

Then a few playoff series where the Sens destroyed them.

Good times!

Referee Richard Trottier did not penalize Lindros.
"From my position, he just skated towards him," the referee said. "It was a legal check. There was no elbow, no stick. (Dackell) bent down and kept going down. It wasn't boarding and it wasn't a check from behind."

Senators general manager Rick Dudley said Lindros should have been given a minor penalty.
"He clearly left his feet and his elbow hit him in the head," Dudley said.
"It was a clean hit," responded Flyers GM Bob Clarke. "The guy ducked."

Lindros Hit Forces Dackell Out

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig