Why wasn't Peter Tsimikalis drafted?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Titan124

Oct 14, 2005
I was looking at a blog for the Bridgeport Sound Tigers when I saw that they had signed a 20 year old OHLer by the name of Peter Tsmikalis to an Amateur tryout contract (to fill in for the AHLers who had to go play with the big club). The blog gave some insight into him: apparently he was Captain of the Oshawa Generals of the OHL and scored 99 points in 67 games. This impressed me so I instantly checked out his past stats on hockeydb. He has averaged about a point per game for his whole OHL career. He was eligible for the 2004 draft, and I found a mock draft on this site showing him going in the 5th round. Before the 2004 draft he had played almost all of the games in every season throught his OHL career, missing only 6 or 7 games per year. I find this case extremely peculiar, that he wouldn't even go in the last round. Does anyone know anything about this or what happened?

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
the thing i don't get is wouldn't he still be eligible for this years draft?

Rise from the Ashes

Price defies corsi
Sep 13, 2005
Pointe-Claire, QC
I would imagine it is his skating that would have scared scouts away, because he actually has some decent size. It is possible other teams were interested in him, but the Islanders had an upperhand in contract talks.

He also seems to be a very good stickhandler:

Captain Peter Tsimikalis was the runner up to Whitby native and Belleville Bulls forward John Hughes in the Best Stickhandler category.

as per http://www.durhamregion.typepad.com/the_ohl/

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Richard_Zednik said:
I would imagine it is his skating that would have scared scouts away, because he actually has some decent size. It is possible other teams were interested in him, but the Islanders had an upperhand in contract talks.

I think the deal is only for minor league games(not the Islanders) and could be just till the end of this season. With about 5 Bridgeport guys on the Islanders roster, Bridgeport is hard up for players.

Titan124

Oct 14, 2005
It's just a tryout contract,so the Isles haven't locked him up. Perhaps he is eligible and is choosing not to enter the draft? Maybe there is a money loophole or something if you go into the league as an amateur instead of being drafted? Why would the scouts be afraid of his skating if he was able to put up his type of numbers despite being slow, which we aren't even sure of.

Rise from the Ashes

Price defies corsi
Sep 13, 2005
Pointe-Claire, QC
Titan124 said:
It's just a tryout contract,so the Isles haven't locked him up. Perhaps he is eligible and is choosing not to enter the draft? Maybe there is a money loophole or something if you go into the league as an amateur instead of being drafted? Why would the scouts be afraid of his skating if he was able to put up his type of numbers despite being slow, which we aren't even sure of.

hmmm..... let me think Pierre Dagenais.... Maxim Boislcaire.... same story, neither rly will do much at the NHL. TOO SLOW.

Alfie#11

May 7, 2003
Visit site
The Sens had him as an invite to rookie camp following his draft year. He did nothing.

Decent skill but nothing exceptional.

One of those cases where points just don't mean much in evaluating pro potential.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad