Why was the Crosby/Kunitz/Hornqvist line broken up?

Riddum

Nov 5, 2008
Montreal
I haven't watched the Pens too much this year but...

That line was easily the best line in the league at the beginning of the season. Geno was doing well, playing with tomatos. Yes, they all got injured at some point, but IIRC, even before the injuries, they were split up.

Why break up such chemistry?

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
kunitz1.png

That guy. That guy. That guy. That guy.

drpepper

Dec 10, 2013
I haven't watched the Pens too much this year but...

That line was easily the best line in the league at the beginning of the season. Geno was doing well, playing with tomatos. Yes, they all got injured at some point, but IIRC, even before the injuries, they were split up.

Malkin had little to no even strength production, and the line had begun to cool.

Add in loses to Metro teams like NYR and NYI and injuries.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
The way I remember it was the line had a bit of a slump, mostly because of Kunitz handling the puck like a grenade, and they wanted to test Hornqvist and Malkin.

Hornqvist and Malkin didn't work so well, and Crosby started struggling without Hornqvist, so they briefly reunited KCH. Shortly after that, Hornqvist got hurt.

While Hornqvist was out, Perron was acquired and put with Crosby. At first the line was Perron-Crosby-Downie, but sadly Kunitz found his way back to the top line and they ran Kunitz-Crosby-Perron for a while. Once Hornqvist came back, they tried him with Malkin again (and it didn't work that time either).

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Hornqvist is never going to have good chemistry with Geno or Sid alone. We like the term "3rd wheel around here", and while I think Hornqvist is better than that, he needs certain types of players to really reach his maximum potential at 5on5. I think he can be better with Geno than he's been, but he really does fit quite well with Sid when Sid is willing to play that sort of game.

May 10, 2010

How are we supposed to be overcome with Malkamania if we don't lie down on the mat on the brink of elimination first, земляк?

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
It's worrisome to see things and realize that the coaching staff doesn't see it as well.

I mean..remember when MJ talked about making pairs and having a winger that rotates in until one that works and creating units? Pepperidge Farm remembers, as do I.

Would have been interesting to see this...

Crosby-Hornqvist
Perron-Malkin
Sutter-Downie
Spaling-Lapierre

Then the "rovers" on the lines would be - Kunitz, Comeau, Downie, and nimrod twins - Sill & Adams.

A line-up of...

Bennett, Crosby, Hornqvist
Comeau, Malkin, Perron
Kunitz, Sutter, Downi
Spaling, Lapierre, Adams

Jedi Pengu*

Perron - Sid - Hornqvist DONE!!

Now work on Geno, don't mess with the damn first line.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad