Why was Rinne a 8th round pick?

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I understand that goalers are very hard to predict which is why majority of them are not chosen in the 1st round, but why was Rinne a 8th overall pick? You can determine by watching their movements, reading of plays, etc. which goalers would go between the 2nd/4th round and goalers that go beyond that. Was Rinne a latebloomer? Or was it because team didn't know if he was going to come over? Or did he just basically come out of nowhere?

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
Nashville are magicians when it comes to goalies?

Why was Anders Lindback picked in the 7th round?

trotzian brow

Mar 18, 2006
What makes his story more amazing - he was drafted while he was backup to Backstrom.

When the scouts went to see him they had to watch him during the warmups.

Tormentor

Dec 27, 2007
Too Far
Rinne was 21 when he was drafted and still very much a project. He was Niklas Bäckström's back-up in Finland and there weren't too many people who believed in his abilities. He didn't develop into a NHL goalie overnight, it was a slow process that gradually made him what he's at the moment.

Granlund2Pulkkinen*

Finns in general take a very long time to develop.

Goaltenders are the trickiest of all positions to judge on an NHL level...

That's why many great goaltenders weren't taken in the first round (e.g. Patrick Roy, Dominik Hasek, Henrik Lundqvist, Tim Thomas Ryan Miller, etc. etc. etc. etc.)

Hell Patrick Roy's 3 years in the QMJHL were 6.26, 4.44, and 5.55 GAA's all in 40+ games...

Juzmo

Nov 17, 2009
WOW. what the hell is that all about?
I read somewhere that the scoring back then it the league Roy was playing in had something like 12 goals scored per game or something. Still for him the numbers seemed ridiculous. /end ot

wedge

Oct 4, 2004
victoriaville
I read somewhere that the scoring back then it the league Roy was playing in had something like 12 goals scored per game or something. Still for him the numbers seemed ridiculous. /end ot

part true
the real reason is that Roy's team was absolutely awful. Worst team in the league by far and Roy made them compete. They were still pretty awful. Talk about 50+ shots a game.

Granlund2Pulkkinen*

Goaltenders Craig Billington and Daryl Reaugh(?) were drafted before Roy.

goes to show it's hard to make comparisons for goalies in the CHL which is why most GM's save the goaltender picks until the later rounds.

That and goalies usually hit their prime around 29-32 years old and have an ETA in the NHL of about 3-5 years.

Laoghaire

Jun 1, 2008
Ottawa
I believe that the reason goaltenders are so difficult to predict is that the biggest factor in the success of a goalie is nery difficult to scout. That factor is consistency.

We have all seen backups put together tremendous games only to falter in their next outing. The truly great goalies are able put more of those remarkable game together than others.

Obviously skill is an important factor. There is a reason more starting goaltenders are found in the 1st round than any other. But the reason so many great goaltenders go late is that of consistency.

Polak

Mar 4, 2011
A little off topic, but I guess it's the same reason Kimmo Timonen was a 10th round pick, and Hank Lundqvist was a 7th round pick.

KingJet*

Why did Luc Robitaille, Brett Hull, Henrik Zetterburg, Pavel Datsyuk and Dustin Byfuglien get drafted late. Just how the draft goes, all it really is just an invitation to training camp and the players rights for 3 years, thats all. Basically it means nothing to get drafted, some of those people don't even play in the NHL, but is a happy moment to get drafted to the NHL no question.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad