OT: Why Was Morrow Traded Again So Soon?

Bennett Brauer

May 1, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
We didn't because we have Simon Despres, Brian Dumoulin, Scott Harrington, Derrick Pouliot, and Olli Maatta. The Penguins wanted to add a top 9 forward for the playoffs who added grit and leadership to the team, Brenden Morrow was that guy and keep in mind this was before Iginla so the asking price for Brenden Morrow was Joe Morrow and a 5th (Matej Paulovic), and the Stars added a 3rd (Jake Guentzel).

The Stars traded him because they needed some centers, and they also have an abundance of young defensemen.

He's a valuable trade piece.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
He has some value but it is alarming that two organizations felt he was an expendable trade piece. He wasn't nearly the untouchable blue chipper most of us assumed he was.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
The Penguins traded him because they're up to their ears in blueline prospects and they wanted to add some depth for the playoffs.. the Stars traded him because they wanted to tip the scale enough to land Seguin.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I still have a lot of faith in Morrow's upside, but I can't think of any impact defensemen who were traded twice before they played one NHL game.

Could just be a weird anomaly due to the circumstances though.

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
He has some value but it is alarming that two organizations felt he was an expendable trade piece. He wasn't nearly the untouchable blue chipper most of us assumed he was.

Add to that the way he was used (or wasn't) in WBS, and I am wondering about him a little.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
The Penguins traded him because they're up to their ears in blueline prospects and they wanted to add some depth for the playoffs.. the Stars traded him because they wanted to tip the scale enough to land Seguin.

this seems very likely to me. I don't think any conclusion can really be drawn from him being traded.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
this seems very likely to me. I don't think any conclusion can really be drawn from him being traded.

I do. Shero's pretty adamant about no trading Pouliot and Maatta. Something is going on with Morrow if he's been traded two times.

I don't think there's a such thing as an over abundance of good prospects and I don't think Shero believes that either. No sane gm would say we have too many good prospects so lets trade one for a crappy rental. Morrow isn't progressing the way the Pens and Stars hoped, bottom line.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012

A lot of people here considered him one of the better Pens prospects, reality check to those folks.

specialized

Jan 24, 2013
After watching the bruins I think they have great young defenseman to Krug,Bartowski and Hamilton, for starters, it would not surprise me to see him get traded again...

Uemoda

Formerly OminousGrey
Jun 28, 2011
Pennsylvania
www.twitter.com
There were whispers of attitude problems in WBS.

At the very least, it is odd to see a talented, young defenseman traded twice in three months by two different organizations. I know I raised an eyebrow.

I guess we'll see.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
I do find it interesting, but we may never know the reason. Could just be cause hes a valuable trade piece. Or it could be that there is some major issues that teams are not liking.

hiptanaka

Jan 12, 2006
Woonsocket
It does raise questions that the prospect is on his 3rd team in a span of a few months. Dallas must've recognized why Shero made Morrow expendable, whatever that factor is.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
The GM who acquired him isn't the one who traded him. Presumably Nill thinks less of Morrow than Nieuwendyk did.

Or maybe you just have to give to get and Chiarelli happened to like Morrow. Small price to pay for a guy with Seguin's game and youth.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Ahhhh.....the satisfaction in being correct. ;)

Hey Jiggy: remember all those arguments we had about you insisting that Dallas (I know you said Niewendyk, but still, much of their scouting staff remains under Nill) specifically targeted Morrow, because that was the commodity that they needed organizationally; while I asserted that this was merely the D prospect that Shero was most inclined to give up?

Anyway, you don't have to answer that. As to the OP's original question: Morrow has some great tools, but perhaps scouts & management are concerned he may not have the toolbox. At the same time, he still has potential, and BOS needs D prospects more than they need forward prospects. So it makes sense that Morrow was both expendable by DAL, and yet garnered interested to BOS, because they have very little in the pipeline on D besides Hamilton (and ageing blueliners in Chara, Seidenberg, and the likely departure of Ference)

Joe Morrow was traded, I suppose, because at the end of the day he is not an A-level prospect. We swung and hit perhaps a single and not a home-run with this player. Had we drafted, say, Rakell, Ritchie, or especially Rattie, with this pick instead, we would not have traded that asset for Brendan Morrow.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Ahhhh.....the satisfaction in being correct. ;)

Hey Jiggy: remember all those arguments we had about you insisting that Dallas (I know you said Niewendyk, but still, much of their scouting staff remains under Nill) specifically targeted Morrow, because that was the commodity that they needed organizationally; while I asserted that this was merely the D prospect that Shero was most inclined to give up?

Remember that time you whined about Harrington being drafted by the Pens and called it a bad pick? I then told you to settle down and chill?

Now he is like, omigawdbbqsauce your favorite prospect?

All we are doing is once again speculating. JN had two suitors for B. Morrow and leverage. We know a number of GMs said the prices were way too high at the deadline and Murray went for two seconds, which was further proof of those whispers.

Once again, I'd think you would of learned your lesson with Harrington about being patient and jumping to concrete conclusions.

Guess not.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
He was traded again because highly touted prospects are wanted commodities.

I think this move doesn't necessarily help his fortunes. Oh he'll become more rounded as a defenseman in the Bruins system, but he's not going to supplant Hamilton as their top offensive rearguard down the road. And in between, there's also Torey Krug.

I think his ETA just took a bit of a step back.

Dylonus

May 4, 2009
Pittsburgh
I'm not sure you'll ever find a perfect answer. No player is safe from trade. Hell, even Wayne Gretzky was traded!

Pens17

Aug 3, 2009

Alternatively, two organizations thought enough of him to seek his talent in trades.

lastcupever75

Phive cups PA.
May 14, 2009
SAY WHAT YOU WANT

BUT THERE'S NO WAY A CANT MISS #1 pp GUY IS like we were told morrow will be gets traded twice in 2 months

the jury is out on him IMO

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad