OT: Why was Don Cherry Fired?

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
Harry Sinden cost the Bruins runs at cups, because they were always just a player or two away from really going for it, especially in the 80's but the notoriously cheap ba$tard would never pony up the extra money for those players. Can't stand him and so glad those days are gone now.

Jim Turcotte

Feb 1, 2018
I can only speak for myself but it seemed that Cherry’s act had gone stale. He always needed to be the center of attention. Like with Claude, he had done a great job, but it was time for a change.

Reactions: Strafer

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Well, the memory on this end is a bit off, but the general sentiment stuck with me.

What bar? Grendel's? :pb:

Long gone :cry:

1928238_1113513310748_634801_n.jpg
1928238_1113513270747_1682044_n.jpg

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
There were way too many incidents before this to simply blame it on the too many men game 7. Apparently, if you listen to Cherry’s story, it goes back to the Atlanta to Boston commercial flight incident. Sinden was settled to fire him when he could.

Supposedly, this was the final encounter:

Of course, May 10, 1979 was the famous "too many men" Game 7 against Montreal. As Cherry tells one story, Harry Sinden summoned him for the postseason meeting, which went as follows:
Sinden: "If not for you, we'd have won the Cup. Instead, you're too dumb to be able to count to six! I oughta punch you in the nose."
Cherry: "Harry, if you want to punch me in the nose you need a stepladder."
Sinden: "Get the hell out of here."

Sinden failed lots of times as a G M to add help at key moments but no one can ever accuse him of not caring.I remember lots of times him speaking out He would of lost his mind watching these Bruins teams get shafted by N H L.Sweeney could take a lesson there .Might get a call or 2 then.lol The final part of what you posted made me laugh.Cherry would say that for sure.

HHHH

Feb 15, 2010
1928238_1113513270747_1682044_n.jpg
The CRIMSON!! We sued to go there all the time...I'm not sure I was ever over 21.

But this is where my friends and I spend most of our nights:
181135899_f3530acc36_z.jpg

Good times!!

Reactions: Fenway

Barnum

Aug 28, 2014
‘Murica Ex-Pat - UK
Sinden failed lots of times as a G M to add help at key moments but no one can ever accuse him of not caring.I remember lots of times him speaking out He would of lost his mind watching these Bruins teams get shafted by N H L.Sweeney could take a lesson there .Might get a call or 2 then.lol The final part of what you posted made me laugh.Cherry would say that for sure.

There is nothing that could be said to change my mind on Sinden. He was a terrible GM that crushed the Bruins for many years like Dollar Bill Wirtz. Whatever good he did in 1970 has well worn off.

Shafted? The only shafting the B’s got this year was Backes being suspended. I am still speechless over that suspension but what can you do? The rest of it is nothing the other teams are not dealing with throughout the league. Goaltending interference stupidity and goals call back is happening across the league for everybody. Marchand? Not sure what to tell you, dude has a reputation that he caused himself and he is paying the price. Marchand is awesome but he does stupid things for a super star.

Under the 9 year with PC at GM, Sinden was non-existent but old Harry is back in with Sweeney and Neely. In case you were not aware.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
There is nothing that could be said to change my mind on Sinden. He was a terrible GM that crushed the Bruins for many years like Dollar Bill Wirtz. Whatever good he did in 1970 has well worn off.

Shafted? The only shafting the B’s got this year was Backes being suspended. I am still speechless over that suspension but what can you do? The rest of it is nothing the other teams are not dealing with throughout the league. Goaltending interference stupidity and goals call back is happening across the league for everybody. Marchand? Not sure what to tell you, dude has a reputation that he caused himself and he is paying the price. Marchand is awesome but he does stupid things for a super star.

Under the 9 year with PC at GM, Sinden was non-existent but old Harry is back in with Sweeney and Neely. In case you were not aware.

This reminds of Dennis Maruk, who just published a memoir. Because of his size, a veteran NHLer advised that to stick in the league, "You have to play like a prick." That very much sounds like what Marchand has done over the course of his career, and especially at its beginning. Remember, he was an extra skater/4th line "energy guy" in 2011 before Claude moved him up to play with Patrice.

Sinden's a jerk. Thank God he's gone. Yes, DS & CN apparently consult, which is akin to Stockholm syndrome. How regularly, I don't know. I hope he stays in FLA and never darkens our door again.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB

Yea shafted is what I said. 19th in p.p opportunities again while top 5 team.How about Backes getting smoked 2 times in head by Carrier and Ritchie or McAvoy by Hornqvist for starters?.How bout Leafs getting 2 points on blatant push of McAvoy by Hyman?Thats type of shafted I mean .Marchand 5 games for elbow (deserved)but Corey Perry drilled Letang even worse nothing.Anyways that is how I meant shafted.Yes I am aware they get odd bit of advice from Harry too..End of the day I admit Harry never added at key times to put Bruins over hump but if he was watching this type reffing vs Bruins you can bet you would see him on camera calling it out .Look at last game no crosscheck call by Seabrook .Its goes on and on Like 12 years straight in bottom half on p.p chances. Lol

Reactions: Dreghorn2

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut

So how was it that the Bruins had excellent teams for over 2 decades with a terrible GM?

And how was it that the Bruins style (Big Bad Bruins Hockey) came into being while he was coaching and continued while he was GM?

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
It was a Sinden-Cherry clash,nothing more. Reminded me of Tom Johnson walking in on Gregg Sheppard mocking him and immediately traded him to Pittsburgh.

FREDERIC82FAN

Adherent of JOHNNY V fanclub
Oct 9, 2017
Harry came to realize Don was doing his utmost to see everyone possible was getting all the bonuses written up in their contracts, like scoring 20 goals in the regular season. I think that was the year they set a record for most 20 goal scorers by a team.

Last edited:

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
So how was it that the Bruins had excellent teams for over 2 decades with a terrible GM?

And how was it that the Bruins style (Big Bad Bruins Hockey) came into being while he was coaching and continued while he was GM?

"Excellent" teams that overachieved, year after year, with no help from their dickhead GM. "Look at their incredible playoff run over those years." Result: Jack shit.

Milt Schmidt built the BBB teams. Milt traded from Espo, et. al. Doubtless Harry played his part. He was not, however, the architect of the initial BBB era clubs. Those that came after? Sure. And the motto was, "Don't pay shit, and put fanny's in the seats." He rode that as long as possible, using Cherry to good effect.

After that: Raymond, Cam & Always, Always Two Legitimate Players Away from *Truly* Contending.

Sinden was a prick. Good riddance.

Reactions: Strafer and jgatie

RoccoF14

Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
"Excellent" teams that overachieved, year after year, with no help from their ******** GM. "Look at their incredible playoff run over those years." Result: Jack ****.

Milt Schmidt built the BBB teams. Milt traded from Espo, et. al. Doubtless Harry played his part. He was not, however, the architect of the initial BBB era clubs. Those that came after? Sure. And the motto was, "Don't pay ****, and put fanny's in the seats." He rode that as long as possible, using Cherry to good effect.

After that: Raymond, Cam & Always, Always Two Legitimate Players Away from *Truly* Contending.

Sinden was a prick. Good riddance.

Completely agree. But we still should have won the Cup in 78-79. I put that loss on Cherry 100% and I didn’t miss him after he left.

Can’t stand watching that clown on HNiC anymore....

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Cherry was cute - if he wanted to take a stab at Sinden he used Red Fisher from the Montreal Gazette.

The flying commercial that Cherry was livid about happened in 1978.

25-Mar-78Boston Bruins3@Atlanta Flames6L
26-Mar-78Montreal Canadiens2@Boston Bruins2T
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Montreal charted into Boston while the B's spent the night in Atlanta and then flew commercial.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Cherry and Harry seemed to always be at it and even if Bob Myers didn't hand game 7 to Montreal on a silver platter Cherry was out of here

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Cherry and Harry seemed to always be at it and even if Bob Myers didn't hand game 7 to Montreal on a silver platter Cherry was out of here

The worst part of the story is Bruins president Paul Mooney wanted to get rid of both Cherry and Sinden and had someone who was willing to be coach and GM - but Jacobs vetoed it. That someone instead took the job in Buffalo and his name was William Scott Bowman. :cry:

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
The worst part of the story is Bruins president Paul Mooney wanted to get rid of both Cherry and Sinden and had someone who was willing to be coach and GM - but Jacobs vetoed it. That someone instead took the job in Buffalo and his name was William Scott Bowman. :cry:

Interesting. Never knew that. What could have been...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad