OT: Why was Don Cherry Fired?

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
The worst part of the story is Bruins president Paul Mooney wanted to get rid of both Cherry and Sinden and had someone who was willing to be coach and GM - but Jacobs vetoed it. That someone instead took the job in Buffalo and his name was William Scott Bowman. :cry:

Bowman was in Buffalo for 8 years. Probably his worst 8 years in hockey. Never made it to the finals, missed the playoffs his last 2 years there.

Bruins needed to get him at a better time.

Last edited:

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
The worst part of the story is Bruins president Paul Mooney wanted to get rid of both Cherry and Sinden and had someone who was willing to be coach and GM - but Jacobs vetoed it. That someone instead took the job in Buffalo and his name was William Scott Bowman. :cry:
:shakehead:whaaa?::ha::help: JJ strikes (out) again!

Reactions: Chief Nine

Gordoff

Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
It was a Sinden-Cherry clash,nothing more. Reminded me of Tom Johnson walking in on Gregg Sheppard mocking him and immediately traded him to Pittsburgh.
Thanks: I always wondered what happened that made them trade him.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Cherry and Harry seemed to always be at it and even if Bob Myers didn't hand game 7 to Montreal on a silver platter Cherry was out of here

Actually, Linesman Bob D’Amico made the call.

From Sports Illustrated's Michael Farber:

"This is the residue of a calamitous line change in which the Bruins had six skaters (according to Boston left wing Don Marcotte), six or seven (Bruins coach Don Cherry), seven (Bowman and Engblom) or half their forwards (Shutt) on the ice for a full five seconds (Marcotte), 10 to 12 seconds (Bowman), 10 to 14 seconds (Cherry), 14 seconds (Boston defenseman Mike Milbury) or half a minute (McNab). Whatever the numbers, Too Many Men comprised a swarm of Bruins and a truckload of one-Mississippis. There is no definitive video evidence, but there are countless views of the NHL’s most resounding call. Like conflicting eyewitness testimony at a crime scene, there are multiple versions of reality."

Reactions: Strafer

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

"This is the residue of a calamitous line change in which the Bruins had six skaters (according to Boston left wing Don Marcotte), six or seven (Bruins coach Don Cherry), seven (Bowman and Engblom) or half their forwards (Shutt) on the ice for a full five seconds (Marcotte), 10 to 12 seconds (Bowman), 10 to 14 seconds (Cherry), 14 seconds (Boston defenseman Mike Milbury) or half a minute (McNab). Whatever the numbers, Too Many Men comprised a swarm of Bruins and a truckload of one-Mississippis. There is no definitive video evidence, but there are countless views of the NHL’s most resounding call. Like conflicting eyewitness testimony at a crime scene, there are multiple versions of reality."

I was there in the last row of the Forum on a corner and the crowd was chanting HUIT, HUIT, HUIT ( EIGHT, EIGHT, EIGHT ) They had to call it :cry:

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
"Excellent" teams that overachieved, year after year, with no help from their ******** GM. "Look at their incredible playoff run over those years." Result: Jack ****.

Milt Schmidt built the BBB teams. Milt traded from Espo, et. al. Doubtless Harry played his part. He was not, however, the architect of the initial BBB era clubs. Those that came after? Sure. And the motto was, "Don't pay ****, and put fanny's in the seats." He rode that as long as possible, using Cherry to good effect.

After that: Raymond, Cam & Always, Always Two Legitimate Players Away from *Truly* Contending.

Sinden was a prick. Good riddance.

Schimdt coached the team for 11 seasons with no signs of toughness. Once Sinden became coach their PIMs soared. When Sinden left for a couple season the numbers came down somewhat. When he became GM he hired Cherry and they got bigger and bader. Schmidt went on to be Washington's GM with no signs of emulating what Sinden had created.

As for overachieving teams, year after year, doesn't that mean the GM is continually bringing in skilled, hard working players?

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
THIS is the kind of writing that we sorely need and I dearly miss!
Fascinating article to say the least. Although I love the way the Bruins are run in terms of players, management and coaching, I do miss this type of behind the doors insight. I miss those days, a lot.

There is *nothing* I miss about Sinden. :madfire: And Cherry clearly behaved foolishly -- and unprofessionally -- however successful he was in creating his "Us Against Them" dynamic. Dysfunction is rarely entertaining for long.

Remember Harold Ballard?

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002

I know that I'm talking the game Myers called - horrible

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Schimdt coached the team for 11 seasons with no signs of toughness. Once Sinden became coach their PIMs soared. When Sinden left for a couple season the numbers came down somewhat. When he became GM he hired Cherry and they got bigger and bader. Schmidt went on to be Washington's GM with no signs of emulating what Sinden had created.

As for overachieving teams, year after year, doesn't that mean the GM is continually bringing in skilled, hard working players?
I've always thought had Sinden coached the 1971 no freaking way do they lose to Montreal

Sinden hated Montreal whereas Tom Johnson was one of them - for all I know his number is retired

Reactions: Strafer

Gordoff

Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
There is *nothing* I miss about Sinden. :madfire: And Cherry clearly behaved foolishly -- and unprofessionally -- however successful he was in creating his "Us Against Them" dynamic. Dysfunction is rarely entertaining for long.

Remember Harold Ballard?
No I was referring to the inside stuff that they would print rather than the crap Haggs and most of the rest of media types that put on a suit and sit there stiff as a board and talk "systems" and the same ol' blah blah blah re injuries and just skimming over the meat of a story for fluff. Those personalities were mesmerizing and just made it so interesting. Those years were like (reality reporting) vs. today with have boring (soap opera) antiseptic type reporting.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chief Nine

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad