Why was Chris Dingman a first round pick?

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Teams fall in love with big tough PF types and are willing to put that above pure talent. In junior Dingman (and Parker) had enough skill to score a lot and play a power forward game mostly aided by their size. When they got to the NHL, they could no longer just use their size to dominate and they didn't have enough skill to make an offensive impact. Just cases where teams try to find the next Eric Lindros and fail. Usually 1 or 2 teams a year take the bate on a huge forward and fail. This year it will probably be Tuch.

The Avs made a lot of terrible draft choices in the 90's and 2000's.

They did, but Dingman was a Calgary pick.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Parker was a pretty good player in the dub, but when he started turning pro they guided him into an enforcer role and he ended up being just that, I wouldn't say he was a terrible pick, he was more of a victim of a bad development system.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Parker was a pretty good player in the dub, but when he started turning pro they guided him into an enforcer role and he ended up being just that, I wouldn't say he was a terrible pick, he was more of a victim of a bad development system.

No, they didn't develop him poorly. He had hands of stone and terrible speed--he was just able to power his way through kids in junior to pot a lot of goals. He was always going to be a goon. I guess Lacroix thought he could be something more, but really, it was a bad pick. You really think he could have been a top six player!?

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
Hey, at least Dinger and the Sheriff actually played in the NHL. There are tons of prospects that were much more highly touted that never even played one game.

It's more about a skillset that can translate well to the pros combined with the ability of the player to adapt to a role than anything else. A lot of guys have 'top 6 potential' but when they fail to reach it just cannot adapt into a more defensive/checking role and fall off.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
No, they didn't develop him poorly. He had hands of stone and terrible speed--he was just able to power his way through kids in junior to pot a lot of goals. He was always going to be a goon. I guess Lacroix thought he could be something more, but really, it was a bad pick. You really think he could have been a top six player!?

I don't agree. Scott Parker played in the NHL and served a purpose (protecting Sakic+Foppa and the like) for many years. While he didn't put up huge numbers except for PIMs, he was good at what he did and kept other teams from taking liberties on our top players. Was he picked too high? Yeah, probably but there were rumours at the time that teams had interest in the 2nd round. There were more than one team that wanted to add the Sheriff. Clearly the Avs had a 'type' of player targeted when they made this selection, their 4th first rounder that year. Every year, there are 'tough guys' available or 'potential power forwards' if you prefer. Very rarely will you find one with as much 'snarl' as Parker had...truly seemed like a guy who enjoyed beating on people.

Players like Kuleshov and Ratchuk were for sure bad picks. I don't think you can really say that about a guy picked 20th as the chances he'll become an NHL regular are not great in that slot to begin with.

CantTouchThis

Feb 16, 2012
Town in Country
A lot of times, teams with good rosters tend to take players that are more assured of making the NHL versus players that have higher ceilings but may not pan out.Colorado at the time, was also drafting for need. This is why people like dingman (CGY pick) and parker are chosen late in the first round.

There are many players who are drafted in the first round who don't pan out but have much higher ceilings. Louis Leblanc and Angelo esposito are two names that come to mind.

TheStranger

Jan 21, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
A lot of times, teams with good rosters tend to take players that are more assured of making the NHL versus players that have higher ceilings but may not pan out.Colorado at the time, was also drafting for need. This is why people like dingman (CGY pick) and parker are chosen late in the first round.

There are many players who are drafted in the first round who don't pan out but have much higher ceilings. Louis Leblanc and Angelo esposito are two names that come to mind.

Espo was pretty much the consensus number 1 for a long time wasn't he? It's not like that was a reach pick in the first round, he plummeted down the charts as the year went on because of obvious problems.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia

No not at all, but he could've ended up being a 3rd line banger. And like Bender said there's a lot of kids drafted in the 1st round that never see the NHL.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
In the case of Parker there was the lingering feeling that McCarty got away with his sucker punch because the team didn't have a goon. Hence picks like Parker and Grimes.

Dinger was a guy who turned it up for the playoffs.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Espo was pretty much the consensus number 1 for a long time wasn't he? It's not like that was a reach pick in the first round, he plummeted down the charts as the year went on because of obvious problems.

Yeah pre-season he was or was one of the top players. Espo also had 2 ACL tears on the same knee that derailed his career as well (one his final junior year and another the following year after 12 games). He wasn't ever going to live up to #1 hype, but he probably could have still been an NHL player. His ability to stay healthy rivaled that of Hishon's.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
In the case of Parker there was the lingering feeling that McCarty got away with his sucker punch because the team didn't have a goon. Hence picks like Parker and Grimes.

Dinger was a guy who turned it up for the playoffs.

Dingers hit on Gomez in game 6 lead to a Gomez turn over to Footer who scored the GWG.

Nov 20, 2013
Sweden
Semi skilled enforcers can make a really sweet fourth line to match against the other teams checking line that is taking cheap shots on players like Peter Forsberg.

At one point we had a fourth line of Warren Rychel, Dale Hunter, Jeff Odgers with Scott Parker as the 13th forward. Would have been sweet to have them go on the ice following Forsbergs line after an icing call to set things straight.

Somewhat less need for such lines since the lockout season though.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Dingers hit on Gomez in game 6 lead to a Gomez turn over to Footer who scored the GWG.

He was also pretty good for Tampa during their run.

The whole 2001 playoffs he was effective. He laid out a good forecheck, hit hard and never took a bad penalty. He played the ideal 4th line game.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Can't remember when Dingman got, well, dinged in the playoffs. Was it Pronger who hit him? Kept trying to get up and fell down repeatedly, Roy had to come out to steady him. Hartley had the best line in the postgame: "We told him he scored a big goal." :laugh:

Rumplesnipeskin

Bar Down
Nov 30, 2011
Colorado
Parker was also our fourth pick in the first round that year if I recall correctly... which may or may not be accurate, could be worth a check. But we had already taken a couple skill/high potential players (Tanguay, Skoula, Regehr), so I can remotely understand the argument for taking Parker. That being said, why didn't we keep regehr :shakehead not bad drafting that year in the first round though, if you ask me.

El_Loco_Avs

Jul 6, 2003
The Netherlands
Parker was also our fourth pick in the first round that year if I recall correctly... which may or may not be accurate, could be worth a check. But we had already taken a couple skill/high potential players (Tanguay, Skoula, Regehr), so I can remotely understand the argument for taking Parker. That being said, why didn't we keep regehr :shakehead not bad drafting that year in the first round though, if you ask me.

Hey, if Fleury stayed with us minus substance abuse we would've been ridiculous. Those couple of months were ****ing AMAZING. 10 goals in 15 games. Imagine him on that powerplay for a full season.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Hey, if Fleury stayed with us minus substance abuse we would've been ridiculous. Those couple of months were ****ing AMAZING. 10 goals in 15 games. Imagine him on that powerplay for a full season.

I've of two minds on Theo. One I think, well we avoided him melting down. On the other I think he would have been better off here than under the media scrutiny in NY and with Sakic to support him while Graham James scandal came to light.

El_Loco_Avs

Jul 6, 2003
The Netherlands
I always liked Theo, even more so after learning about what he went trough.

Yeah I still love the guy, he and Selanne were my favourite non-Avs players. I completely understand what happened to him. Just wish for his sake as much as mine that he could've thrived here without that whole business weighing down on him.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Yeah I still love the guy, he and Selanne were my favourite non-Avs players. I completely understand what happened to him. Just wish for his sake as much as mine that he could've thrived here without that whole business weighing down on him.

Agreed wholeheartedly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad