Why was Barry Fitzgerald nominated for Best Actor & Best Supporting Actor for the same role?

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
TDIL way back in 1944 Barry Fitzgerald received nominations for best actor & best supporting actor for his performance in Going My Way.

It'll never happen again due to a rule put in place stipulating actors & actresses cannot receive multiple nominations for the same performance. (Said rule was put in place because of Fitzgeralds double nomination)

What I'm trying to figure out is how or why the Academy nominated him for both Oscars. I get it was during WW2 and pickings were probably slimmer than normal but theoretically the same character can't fill both roles no?

Ive never seen the movie but from what I've read online he and Bing Crosby were "co stars" ... both were nominated for best actor (Crosby won) but only Fitzgerald received a nom for supporting actor.

Bowski

GO LEAFS GO!
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2004
Kitchener
Paramount pulled a fast one to ensure both leading and supporting would be locked up no matter what. Hence the rule change.
Both actors were far too strong to be beat by anyone else that year it seemed (McDavid and Draisaitl like).

Additional interesting facts:
"Despite the vagueness of the issue, the Academy did jump into action to ensure that this kind of thing could never happen again. They dumped the problem on the studios, with a rule change that required them to take ownership of selecting which categories their actors would fit into.

This indirectly posed a new opportunity for studios when promoting their films, and only further highlighted the confusion over the difference between a 'supporting' role and a 'leading' role. Going forward, studios would promote their actors in categories where they felt they had the best shot. This is why Tatum O'Neal would win for Best Supporting Actress for Paper Moon, even though she appears in practically every scene. And it would be why Anthony Hopkins would win for Silence of the Lambs, when his character seemed like more of a supporting role."

Reactions: Voight

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
The Academy is really a collection of members, so it could be that nominations back then were determined similarly to how the NHL determines the finalist for awards, simply by the number of votes received. I doubt that any single member voted for Fitzgerald for both Best Actor and Best Supporting Actor. It could've even been against the rules to do so, but the voters as a whole may've been split on which category to put him into and he just happened to get enough votes to put him into the top 5 of both.

Reactions: Voight

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad