Why Vegas wasnt hunting 2018 1th round picks?

DucksAreCool

Feb 24, 2015
As others have said, they need players in the pipeline as soon as possible, other teams aren't going to part with next season first rounders so quickly and they should get more 2018 picks later on.

They have a lot of extra picks this season and next season and a ton of extra defensemen they could trade for future picks or young players. They have three first rounders this year, I wouldn't be surprised at all if they found a way to have three first rounders next year also.

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
Im happy, i brought a smile to some faces.

But back to the topic. Who had the best cards in the hand? GM of Las Vegas, saying "Ok, i you dont give me 2018 pick, i will pick this player". Or GM of opposite teams, that say "Go .... you, i will never leave 2018 pick, what could be next franchise player." :naughty:

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
Im happy, i brought a smile to some faces.

But back to the topic. Who had the best cards in the hand? GM of Las Vegas, saying "Ok, i you dont give me 2018 pick, i will pick this player". Or GM of opposite teams, that say "Go .... you, i will never leave 2018 pick, what could be next franchise player." :naughty:

That entirely depends on the player that is going to be picked and the situation his team is in, I'd say. Generally, I think LV is in a weaker position because there weren't any star players to pick and depth players are replaceable. It's inconvenient, but they are replaceable.

ES

Feb 14, 2004
Finland
It just comes down to it being completely stupid to trade a 1st round pick before a puck is dropped for the next season. See Brian Burke and his trade for Kessel as an example. Except he gave up 2. If you are in the lottery there are also 3 shots now to get into the top 3. All 3 winners climbed substantially this year. With a few injuries a contender can become a lottery team very easily. Not worth the risk to trade those picks yet.

Then GM can do what was done in the other Kessel trade (between PIT/TOR)

IIRC the conditions were like this.
If Pens make the playoffs in 2016: Pens 1st rounder to TOR, Pens 2nd rounder (traded to TOR earlier) back to PIT
If Pens don't make the playoffs in 2016 but do in 2017: Pens 1st rounder to TOR, Leafs 2nd rounder to PIT
If Pens don't make the playoffs in 2016 or 2017: Pens 2nd rounder to TOR, no picks from TOR to PIT.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad