Why Vegas wasnt hunting 2018 1th round picks?

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
They got picks from multiple drafts. And if you're Vegas, you want prospects in the pipeline asap. Weak draft or not. Again though, its not like they only picked up 2017 picks.

Pyromaniac

May 29, 2012
They have now 3 1th round picks in 2017. Many experts say, that this draft is week. Why didnt they asked for 2018 1th round picks?

If I am a GM I won't offer up a future 1st without protection. And for Vegas that is a problem because if that protection kicks in then they will have to wait till 2019 to cash-in on that pick. Its risky to trade 1sts with the lottery structured the way it is. We just saw a quality organization in Tampa miss the playoffs because of horrific injuries. A GM won't want to watch Vegas walk away with a potential lottery pick like the Boston Celtics did with the Brooklyn Nets pick this year in the NBA.

Steve

Mar 6, 2002
This draft was great for Vegas to join the league because it's perceived to be a weak draft class. As a result picks are more readily available for trade. I don't know, but I'll assume that GM's don't feel the same way (at least at this point) about 2018.

IamNotADancer

Feb 16, 2017
I think you mean 1rd

"And with the fird pick the Golden Knights pick Major McCheese!"

Non-native English speaker here who is pretty fluent but still makes mistakes here and there but it's all in good fun.

Now if we want to talk serious business, let's try to teach this board how to properly say "could HAVE, should HAVE and would HAVE" instead of could of, would of and should of".

johnnybbadd

Mar 29, 2011
It just comes down to it being completely stupid to trade a 1st round pick before a puck is dropped for the next season. See Brian Burke and his trade for Kessel as an example. Except he gave up 2. If you are in the lottery there are also 3 shots now to get into the top 3. All 3 winners climbed substantially this year. With a few injuries a contender can become a lottery team very easily. Not worth the risk to trade those picks yet.

SpeedDemon

Apr 13, 2011
Classified
I'm thinking with 3 first rounders they might try to trade them for the #2 overall pick which I'm thinking will be Nolan Patrick. Not sure the Flyers bite though.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
They might have tried and failed to negotiate their way into getting 2018 picks and settled on 2017 picks as a result.

Bruce Garrioch (Sens beat writer, sometimes accused by some members of the fan base as being a mouth piece for the org') speculated that Vegas may have wanted the Senators 2018 1st instead of their 2017 1st. Whether his opinion was influenced by inside info, or he was just logically assuming Vegas wouldn't want Ottawa's crappy pick this year, that's something.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad