Why they traded Hall (article)

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
Someone should str8 up ask Chiarelli you traded Hall,Eberle and a potential Barzal pick for Larsson and Strome. Was that part of of your plan ? If given the chance. It would be nice if the media in Edmonton weren't all hippity hoppity skip doodle doo like Stauffer.

BigFuzzyDice

the giant Kane in your azz
Jul 8, 2016
Again though, so why wouldn't he have matured here? What is wrong with this origization then?

Any way, sure, I just don't buy it. He was 24 when traded, ya it's a shocker he got more well rounded and turned into a better player. It would have happened here too.

If his value was at a low, then you don't trade him. There is just no getting around how horrible this trade was.

Also it is all just at odds with the numbers. Hall was very good here, people like yourselves just keep ignoring that fact.

He wouldn't have matured here because he was anointed the original saviour of the team when he was drafted. Got the storied #4 dusted off for him and was handled and paid like a star when he hadn't done sfa to earn it.

It's the same case with the "numbers" without context they don't mean anything. sure hall scored on good teams. when he was chasing them all game because a bad turnover he would cause put the oil down by one in the first 5 minutes. but hey he scored so that's all that counts right.

Hall may have been a star player here (easy to be a shining light in a world of darkness) star player but still a shit oiler. shit oiler because he didn't put the team before the player.

Honestly I can't tell if some of you guys are being obtuse for the sake of debate or if your mother smoked while she was pregnant...

Reactions: HK97

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
He wouldn't have matured here because he was anointed the original saviour of the team when he was drafted. Got the storied #4 dusted off for him and was handled and paid like a star when he hadn't done sfa to earn it.

It's the same case with the "numbers" without context they don't mean anything. sure hall scored on good teams. when he was chasing them all game because a bad turnover he would cause put the oil down by one in the first 5 minutes. but hey he scored so that's all that counts right.

Hall may have been a star player here (easy to be a shining light in a world of darkness) star player but still a **** oiler. **** oiler because he didn't put the team before the player.

Honestly I can't tell if some of you guys are being obtuse for the sake of debate or if your mother smoked while she was pregnant...

But Jersey was able to do this and we couldn't why? How come we couldn't get him to put the team first? Yet Jersey gets a Hart trophy type player?

BigFuzzyDice

Jul 8, 2016
But Jersey was able to do this and we couldn't why? How come we couldn't get him to put the team first? Yet Jersey gets a Hart trophy type player?
because they took him to dinner and threatened to trade him for the second time in two seasons, because he had experienced a life changing event getting traded the first time, that's what a trade does. it forces re-evaluation and maybe some growth. The fact you can't understand this tells me you gotta be a millennial. Not everything is hugs and participation ribbons

Reactions: HK97

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017

ho** cr**, how many times does it have to be explained to you. the trade helped shocked him intolooking in the mirror for real. shero telling him he needs to be a better player on ice and better person off of it. telling him he was a sh** 30% player when hall thought he was 50% last yar. 4 hour tongue lashing from hynes and shero. the trade. shero giving hall the ultimatum saying i can trade you now or you can get your sh** together next yer. i think that helped. the thought of getting traded again right away was likely the biggest slap in the face that made him say "maybe it is me."

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
because they took him to dinner and threatened to trade him for the second time in two seasons, because he had experienced a life changing event getting traded the first time, that's what a trade does. it forces re-evaluation and maybe some growth. The fact you can't understand this tells me you gotta be a millennial. Not everything is hugs and participation ribbons

LOL. whatever, this is going in circles. You know this how?

It's just speculation. That's all. no reason to believe any of this is true. He was just fine here, he put up tons of points here. He was a character player here.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
ho** cr**, how many times does it have to be explained to you. the trade helped shocked him intolooking in the mirror for real. shero telling him he needs to be a better player on ice and better person off of it. telling him he was a sh** 30% player when hall thought he was 50% last yar. 4 hour tongue lashing from hynes and shero. the trade. shero giving hall the ultimatum saying i can trade you now or you can get your sh** together next yer. i think that helped. the thought of getting traded again right away was likely the biggest slap in the face that made him say "maybe it is me."

And why wouldn't chia threatening to trade him not do the same thing? Why does Shero have magic to motivate while Chia does not?

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017

seriously, some of these poster are either insanely dense or just completely blinded by hall love.

i told you in PM that i originally had a simple dislike for hall several years ago but it's poster like little fury, soundwve etc with their insane hall defending that actually make me HATE hall to this degree.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006

That doesn't follow at all. Just a complete failure of logic.

Are you totally innumerate? Hall's Oilers cored more than the opposition when he was on the ice than when he wasn't. Scoring more than the other team is an important part of hockey. Why some might even say it's the most important!

Hall may have been a star player here (easy to be a shining light in a world of darkness) star player but still a **** oiler. **** oiler because he didn't put the team before the player.

And yet the team performed better with him than without him. How's that work.

Honestly I can't tell if some of you guys are being obtuse for the sake of debate or if your mother smoked while she was pregnant.

From a guy who doesn't understand the basic point of hockey?

because they took him to dinner and threatened to trade him for the second time in two seasons,

That never happened. But no surprise you guys have to make **** up.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
seriously, some of these poster are either insanely dense or just completely blinded by hall love.

i told you in PM that i originally had a simple dislike for hall several years ago but it's poster like little fury, soundwve etc with their insane hall defending that actually make me HATE hall to this degree.

Talking to yourself isn't healthy.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site

That's logical. You hate someone because others like him. Charming.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton

LMAO, you hate Hall to this degree, because of us? What a funny guy. You're just sad.

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
And why wouldn't chia threatening to trade him not do the same thing? Why does Shero have magic to motivate while Chia does not?

are you serious?? first off, i'm not even sure hall knew he was going to be traded the first time. hall probably just didn't get it the first time around, but when the next gm threatens to trade him that becomes a big shocker and that's what it takes to get someone to really reevaluate themselves. it's almost as if you're some sort of robot who has no clue how human beings work. it's not rocket science here buddy. i can't believe you to be this stuck on simple logistics. it must be hall love blinding you.

Last edited:

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
That never happened. But no surprise you guys have to make **** up.

yes it did. in fact it was written in one of the articles one of you hall lovers posted from an NJ source. it essentially said shero began the 4 hour discussion with "do you want me to trade you now? i will do it, let me know, otherwise you better ..... etc etc" that must be a big shock for hall and got his attention right away.

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
LMAO, you hate Hall to this degree, because of us? What a funny guy. You're just sad.

believe me, it's not just me. a lot of poster maybe don't hate hall because of guys like you but gain some extra disdain for him because you guys have a completely ridiculous and fantasy view of what he is/was here. i honestly think none of us would even be debating hall and the trade if it was not for a few of you that are completely unreasonable in your hall love. "he can do no wrong and did no wrong here". those who believe that are definitely amongst a tiny percentage of people.

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
LOL. whatever, this is going in circles. You know this how?

It's just speculation. That's all. no reason to believe any of this is true. He was just fine here, he put up tons of points here. He was a character player here.

tons of points? exaggeration. he put up good pointage.

character guy? HAHAHAHA, complete opposite of that. this shows me you have NO idea what you saw here with hall.

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012

You must know that the exact logistics of the talks between Hall and Shero/Hynes last summer aren't known by any of us fans. You don't know that it was a "4 hour tongue lashing" and I'd bet it was a lot more diplomatic than that. It fits your narrative better if the conversation went down that way, but there isn't any way you can quote what happened, or the tone that words were exchanged in.

So why didn't Chiarelli do effectively the same thing as Shero then? Say "if you don't change your attitude/approach, I AM going to trade you."? It doesn't sound as though that was ever done here, by anyone. Because the people in our organization aren't nearly smart enough for that. I remember hearing Hall say after the trade that Chiarelli told him a few months earlier "you are very unlikely to be traded". Hall probably did need a kick in the ass, but if nobody in the org had ever made that clear to him, then why would he think he needed to make any changes?

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
You must know that the exact logistics of the talks between Hall and Shero/Hynes last summer aren't known by any of us fans. You don't know that it was a "4 hour tongue lashing" and I'd bet it was a lot more diplomatic than that. It fits your narrative better if the conversation went down that way, but there isn't any way you can quote what happened, or the tone that words were exchanged in.

So why didn't Chiarelli do effectively the same thing as Shero then? Say "if you don't change your attitude/approach, I AM going to trade you."? It doesn't sound as though that was ever done here, by anyone. Because the people in our organization aren't nearly smart enough for that. I remember hearing Hall say after the trade that Chiarelli told him a few months earlier "you are very unlikely to be traded". Hall probably did need a kick in the ass, but if nobody in the org had ever made that clear to him, then why would he think he needed to make any changes?

second paragraph is fair. maybe they could have done better. i bet they tried for years but it wasn't getting through to him. i wouldn't be surprised if the previous regimes actually WANTED to trade hall years ago but couldn't get the go ahead from katzz.

as far as the shero/hynes/hall meeting. much of it was documented in articles and quotes from hynes, shero, hall etc. just because you haven't read them doesn't make it untrue. there was definitely a tone of a tongue lashing from some of the articles. maybe not yelling but a very stern talk. does your boss yell at you if he's unhappy. no, it stays professional but you know he wants to yell at you.

the fact that he asked hall what he thought of how he played his first year in nj and hall said 50% while shero replied no it's 30%...the fact he said he needed to be a better person off ice and better player on ice..... the fact they said he needed to be a better paractice player... stop pouting etc... the fact he started the whole convo with a threat of trading his a$$ right away. etc should tell you the tone of the meeting.

BigFuzzyDice

Jul 8, 2016
That doesn't follow at all. Just a complete failure of logic.

Are you totally innumerate? Hall's Oilers cored more than the opposition when he was on the ice than when he wasn't. Scoring more than the other team is an important part of hockey. Why some might even say it's the most important!

The failure of logic is your refusal to recognize that the number of points he accumulated aren't as important as when he actually scored those points and the current state of the game in which they are being scored. Once again. Two seasons combined prior to McD's arrival. ONE game winning goal. For a player that scored so much that is a pretty telling stat and why I thought ebs would do well last year. ebs always had that knack for being clutch and getting important goals even if the totals weren't as high. getting a goal or two in a game you have been losing by two from essentially the opening faceoff is worthless self approbation.

DaGap

Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
The failure of logic is your refusal to recognize that the number of points he accumulated aren't as important as when he actually scored those points and the current state of the game in which they are being scored. Once again. Two seasons combined prior to McD's arrival. ONE game winning goal. For a player that scored so much that is a pretty telling stat and why I thought ebs would do well last year. ebs always had that knack for being clutch and getting important goals even if the totals weren't as high. getting a goal or two in a game you have been losing by two from essentially the opening faceoff is worthless self approbation.

What stat does that tell you?

EDIT:

In 3 playoff games Hall has over 50% of the amount of playoff points as McDavid. Or Hall has 5 mor playoff points this season than McDavid

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010

honestly that is a little surprising (the GWG stat) but the Oilers were a terrible team. You have to actually win games to be awarded GWG's.

Also I wouldn't be surprised if Hall had a large portion of the primary assists on the small amount of GWG we did get over those seasons as he has always been a great playmaker.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
yes it did. in fact it was written in one of the articles one of you hall lovers posted from an NJ source. it essentially said shero began the 4 hour discussion with "do you want me to trade you now? i will do it, let me know, otherwise you better ..... etc etc" that must be a big shock for hall and got his attention right away.

Here's what actually happened:

Around this time last year, the New Jersey Devils missed the NHL playoffs for the fifth season in a row, rummaging for 70 points, worst in the Eastern Conference. General manager Ray Shero was determined to end the dismal streak.
“The team I had was my responsibility,” Shero said recently, “and I never wanted that to happen again.”
So in individual post-season meetings, Shero asked each player if he really wanted to be on the team. If not, Shero would trade him. He even made the offer to Taylor Hall, the star forward whom Shero had acquired only 10 months earlier.

So no, Shero did not "threaten to trade Hall" as was claimed.

The failure of logic is your refusal to recognize that the number of points he accumulated aren't as important as when he actually scored those points and the current state of the game in which they are being scored. Once again.

LMFO you don't know what the stat means do you? You can't grasp that scoring more goals than the other team is the point of the game and if Hall was capable of that, nothing else matters.

. Once again. Two seasons combined prior to McD's arrival. ONE game winning goal. For a player that scored so much that is a pretty telling stat and why I thought ebs would do well last year. ebs always had that knack for being clutch and getting important goals even if the totals weren't as high.

Eberle scored almost 30 more goals than Hall as an Oiler and had the exact same number of GWG which should tell you what a pointless and randoms stat that is.

Last edited:
Reactions: PGW

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012

Why are game winning goals the be-all end-all in this argument? The one game winning goal that he had in 2013/14 was also his most impressive statistical season with the team, so maybe (definitely), the low number of GWGs was just a fluke...? For all you know, maybe he scored the tying goal in a bunch of 3-2 wins, or was the only one doing shit-all in a 3-1 loss. Game winning goals don't even give much context on their own, because often the game-winning goal is just random circumstance (who cares who scored the 2nd goal in a dominant 5-1 win?). Why is scoring in a loss "worthless self approbation"? So trying to start a comeback when the team is losing isn't a worthwhile effort, it's just selfish stat-padding?

You or I don't even know "when Hall scored those points" - you are making things up, saying that Hall only scored goals that didn't matter and never came through when the team needed him, based on your dislike for the player, not based on any hard evidence. GWGs aren't evidence of scoring "important goals" - they are a volatile stat that can vary from year to year for no apparent reason, regardless of how well a player is playing.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad