Why There is No Basis For the "McDavid to Toronto" Narrative: He Was a Penguins Fan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jan 3, 2012
Philadelphia, PA
Matthews >>>> McDavid so this whole discussion is irrelevant. Edmonton should be searching for articles of Matthews speaking highly of the oil industry and tanker trucks imo.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
I get the premise of this post, and agree that being a Leafs fan = going home to be a leaf is contrived garbage. But, while I don't think McD will be a Leaf (at least at this time), there is a lot more to going home to play for the city you grew up in than being a fan of the team.

PS: great work OP, really solid research and attentiveness.

Preisst*

Jun 11, 2008
Western Canada
Do you call yourself a Blackhawks fan? He has identified himself as a Penguins fan, even in instances when he could have identified himself as a Leafs fan, such as for Hockey Canada's website. That is one difference.

The Toronto sports media can not cite his childhood Leafs fandom in support of the argument that he will play for Toronto. Not only is he loyal to his current organization, but he grew up cheering for another team. The fandom argument holds no weight even at the most basic level.

After last season's Stamkos to Toronto fiasco and the similar circumstances in which Connor McDavid's name has been discussed in association with the Leafs, it is necessary to examine this issue.

1st bold - What fiasco are you referring to?

2nd bold - I can see it being of interest to some posters. Why and how is it "necessary"?

Preisst*

Jun 11, 2008
Western Canada
This whole topic is confusing, but:

“I’m from Toronto. You have to be a Leafs fan,†McDavid said in the article. “So, of course, I was.

Were they not talking to him about when he was a young boy growing up? Thus when he referred to when he was a young boy he was a Maple Leaf fan.

Doesn't mean he still isn't even though as a pro his first allegiance as of this moment would obviously be the team he is presently on.

I'd say nice try but I'd be lying.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Watching reruns of "Walker, Texas Ranger" make more sense than the time the OP took to make this thread.

You know you REALLY hate a team when you create something like this. Only the Leafs can bring this kind of anger.

And I really find it funny people are so convinced the evil Toronto media loves the Leafs so much, so make up stories like this. In 2010; after the Hawks won the cup the headline on TSN wasn't "Hawks Win Cup" it was "Leafs Biggest Losers". That's on the "Toronto Sports Network". The Leafs have gotten more crap from the Toronto media than any of the other Canadian teams.

BlackDogg

There is nothing to do in Mockingbird Heights
Oct 3, 2015
I actually heard he has an Oiler poster in his bedroom now.

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014
So a couple of things. First off regardless of how you wanted it to come across, it reads like an attack on the Leafs media and fans and a rub on the back for the poor Oilers. There is little to no evidence of Leafs media pushing this narrative yet. I am sure they will once he gets closer to UFA but as some have stated the Toronto media do that with just about every player born in and around Toronto and Mcdavid would not be an exception. With the Leafs zipping their lips lately about everything, this will only exacerbate the media looking for any angle to get a story even more. That being said, the educated fan is well aware of how rare it is for players to "go home" and since Mcdavid will most likely be able to get as much money as he wants anywhere he goes, the Leafs will have just as much an opportunity as any other team that can afford him and is looking to compete for a cup.

As for Edmonton there is little to no evidence that he won't resign there well into his UFA years. Mcdavid like most players want to win and they will usually do what ever is necessary to do that. If Edmonton is competing for cups during his contract negotiations surely he would resign there.

Lastly players affiliation with teams they grew up watching usually dissipates once they start their NHL career. It doesn't mean they don't follow them still but players are certainly more professional about it.

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
Matthews >>>> McDavid so this whole discussion is irrelevant. Edmonton should be searching for articles of Matthews speaking highly of the oil industry and tanker trucks imo.

More like this ... Matthews is from Scottsdale, which means he must like to golf.

What better team to play for but my Oilers - they always start their golf season in early April. :laugh: :laugh: ... :( :( ... :cry::cry:

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Wayne Rooney was born and raised in Liverpool. There's nothing people in Liverpool hate more than Manchester. Where does Wayne Rooney play?

Childhood fandom has nothing to do with anything when money and wins are on the line.

FDBluth

Jul 2, 2004
Kelowna, BC
Wayne Rooney was born and raised in Liverpool. There's nothing people in Liverpool hate more than Manchester. Where does Wayne Rooney play?

Childhood fandom has nothing to do with anything when money and wins are on the line.
Yeah but soccer players are sissies so your point is invalid

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad