Why There is No Basis For the "McDavid to Toronto" Narrative: He Was a Penguins Fan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diatomic

Mitch Matthewlander
Mar 12, 2013
Air Canada Centre
I was a big pens fan too when they drafted sid and were in back to back cup finals, but ultimately I was always a leaf fan first and the same applies to mcdavid

Oct 18, 2011
who cares what team these players were fans of, they are young men becoming adults. big money is involved, they go and actually live in and represent a city where they play....it means nothing.

if anything growing up a leafs fan, is exactly why none of these star players come to toronto, they know the ridiculous expectations that will come with playing there.

just look what happened to phil kessel, a guy who did nothing but score goals for them, was run out of town because he wasn't tyler seguin

Party Kane

Nov 7, 2013
Chicago
And? Players have favourite teams when they're younger, it means jack ****

Calling McDavid a Penguins fan because he was a fan of Crosby is just pushing an agenda by OP :laugh:

Beansy*

Sep 10, 2016
who cares what team these players were fans of, they are young men becoming adults. big money is involved, they go and actually live in and represent a city where they play....it means nothing.

if anything growing up a leafs fan, is exactly why none of these star players come to toronto, they know the ridiculous expectations that will come with playing there.

just look what happened to phil kessel, a guy who did nothing but score goals for them, was run out of town because he wasn't tyler seguin

Wrong. We need 5 pages analyzing why McDavid like the Penguins and hence concluding he will never be a Maple Leaf. It's a front burner, hot button issue that we must debate and resolve.

I am very much hopeful that after some hearty discussion here, we can come to an agreement on this important issue.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I won't add much to this thread outside of the fact that I feel old when a current player says he idolized a guy younger than me growing up.

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
Would love two see McDavid reunited with his line mates: Matthews McDavid Brown

In 5 years

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
Cringe worthy that these sort of posts need to be made in some weird attempt to show that he would come to Toronto.

:laugh:

Relax.

I'm actually a firm believer McDavid will retire as an Oiler. Same goes for Tavares in NY. Although, Stamkos was a surprise.

BUT, I thought OP deserved a fair response considering the work he put in.

GordieHowsUrBreath

Nostalgia... STOP DWELLING ON THE PAST
Jun 16, 2016
mcdavid will play for the pens and the pens will continue the streak of having the best player in the world for almost every year since 1985

Pocket Hercules

Business in the front, party in the back.
Jun 19, 2008
York Region
It goes back further than that. I remember "Gretzky will be a Leaf".

They've been a hopefull bunch

Explain this then...

Wayne Gretzky only played for one Canadian team during his professional career, but he was close to joining a second one in the mid-1990s.

After a brief stint with the St. Louis Blues in the second half of the 1995-96 NHL season, Gretzky was an unrestricted free agent looking for a new place to play. The NHL’s all-time leader in goals, assists, points and a plethora of other categories says he was nearly a member of the Toronto Maple Leafs and Vancouver Canucks.

“At one point in time we were close to Toronto. Cliff Fletcher [the Leafs GM at the time] really dug in deep and tried to make it happen,†Gretzky told Brady and Walker on Sportsnet 590 The Fan Thursday.

Wayne Gretzky on almost playing for the Leafs and Canucks
Gretzky, who grew up in Brantford, Ont., explained that he and his agent at the time, Mike Barnett, “were leaning to go to Toronto and be part of the Toronto Maple Leafs,†but it turns out the team was more interested in a new arena rather than signing The Great One.

“Timing is everything, and unfortunately at that time they were trying to raise money to move out of Maple Leaf Gardens and move into a new arena, a new facility, and the ownership just felt at that time they need to concentrate and put more of their resources into building an arena than to sign me,†Gretzky explained. “And that’s business and that’s what happens, but I thought I was close to signing in Toronto. I thought it was going to happen; unfortunately it didn’t.â€

In addition to speaking with the Leafs, Gretzky was also in talks with the Canucks.

“It was a difficult summer. At one point I thought I was going to be a Vancouver Canuck and it fell through the wayside,†Gretzky said. “Everything happens for a reason, and I ended up signing with the New York Rangers… and truly enjoyed it.â€

He spent his final three seasons playing in New York, where he racked up 249 points in 234 games on Broadway.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/wayne-gretzky-thought-he-would-be-a-toronto-maple-leaf-or-vancouver-canuck/

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
One thing I want to say is that for stamkos it was the Leafs or Tampa. He didn't even meet with half of the teams he set meeting dates with after meeting with the leafs. After he saw there was no chance he went to Tampa. IMO it was the right choice for him and Tampa. However the media debacle that came out of it should be an embarrassment to anyone in Toronto media and I hope it never happens again. But we all know it will

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
There's no new information here and, unless I missed something, there haven't been any discussions around McDavid since the silly stuff before his draft.

Digging into this now only seems to serve to rile up fanbase and drive insults at each other.

If something changes to make this relevant again, we can revisit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad