Why the offer sheet system is broken

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
The offer sheet system is working—RFA’s are getting bigger and longer contracts on average today then at any point in NHL history.

The logical flaw is looking at the Offer Sheets in a vaccum as “not working” because we rarely ever see players switching teams via offer sheets. When the real question should be “are the RFA’s being paid on average more then they were previously due to the existence of offer sheets and other CBA changes”? I think the answer to that is resoundingly Yes.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
The offer sheet system is working—RFA’s are getting bigger and longer contracts on average today then at any point in NHL history.

The logical flaw is looking at the Offer Sheets in a vaccum as “not working” because we rarely ever see players switching teams via offer sheets. When the real question should be “are the RFA’s being paid on average more then they were previously due to the existence of offer sheets and other CBA changes”? I think the answer to that is resoundingly Yes.
Bingo! I agree 100% with everything you say here.

PaulaMesser

Apr 18, 2018
The system needs to and will be fixed eventually. Not any time soon, but I believe it will happen.
2sOCImb

2xUiyvG

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
The system needs to and will be fixed eventually. Not any time soon, but I believe it will happen.
2sOCImb

2xUiyvG
What is broken though? As mouser so astutely points out the system is not designed so that there are many successful offer sheets. In fact exactly the opposite. They are intended to be rare since teams want control of their young players. In contrast, the possibility of an OS forces teams to pay their players coming off their ECL's a fair wage. Without this threat teams would have far more leverage.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
How to fix the NHL's broken offer sheet system - Sportsnet.ca

One pundit's opinion.

Signing RFA to $7.5m offer, and you know it'll be matched as compensation not worth loss of player.

I don't know if that's quite correct. If a team offers 7.5m to a player,,,,and the the picks that go with, it might be very good deal for the team that "owns" the player currently. Let's imagine they have 6.5m allotted for that player, so now if they don't match, they now 6.5m to spend on another player plus they get the picks.
Don't see how the team that loses the player really the in "value". You can't really look at the team losing the player as just getting the picks, they always have additional cap to spend elsewhere.

The other point that seem to be ignored is that players aren't that interested in signing offer sheets. These players generally are going to UFA in four years or less. So if an offer sheet is let's say for seven years, the player iand he will lose his UFA eligibility a lot sooner.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
The unwritten rule of not signing a player to an offer sheet for fear of retribution is the biggest deterrent in my opinion.

You are willing to spend two 1sts on a player then sign him to a contract, but won't offer sheet him the same contract which would cost a similar price? Come on now. No reason any GM shouldn't be willing to offer sheet certain players.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Whether or not the offer sheet system is "broken" depends on whom one expects it to help.

If the POV is that the offer sheet system is designed to help RFA's who are essential to their teams, the offer sheet system "works". No team wants to see an essential RFA get an offer sheet, and there's no incentive for a team to ever let it get to that point. Even if it did, an offer sheet would simply be matched.

OTOH there are situations where teams have players that are extras in one way or another. If the offer sheet system is designed to give those players some measure of control about their own futures, the offer sheet system is a total failure.

I mean the Grubauer situation is the key kind of scenario. His trade value is predicated upon the fact that it will reflect poorly on him as a player if he fails to resign wherever he is traded. And that is why the offer sheet system is broken, because teams will follow an unwritten rule not to offer sheet such a player (i.e. collude) to make sure that such RFAs do not control their own future.

The fix would be to allow trading arbitration-eligible RFA's to refuse being traded after the conclusion of the season leading up to their free agency.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
It is a bit interesting if you allow teams to use any picks. Might see some of the lower end teams make more offer sheets, but as it stands today if you were a bottom 5 club are you really going risk using your own picks?

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Whether or not the offer sheet system is "broken" depends on whom one expects it to help.

If the POV is that the offer sheet system is designed to help RFA's who are essential to their teams, the offer sheet system "works". No team wants to see an essential RFA get an offer sheet, and there's no incentive for a team to ever let it get to that point. Even if it did, an offer sheet would simply be matched.

OTOH there are situations where teams have players that are extras in one way or another. If the offer sheet system is designed to give those players some measure of control about their own futures, the offer sheet system is a total failure.

I mean the Grubauer situation is the key kind of scenario. His trade value is predicated upon the fact that it will reflect poorly on him as a player if he fails to resign wherever he is traded. And that is why the offer sheet system is broken, because teams will follow an unwritten rule not to offer sheet such a player (i.e. collude) to make sure that such RFAs do not control their own future.

The fix would be to allow trading arbitration-eligible RFA's to refuse being traded after the conclusion of the season leading up to their free agency.

I'm not sure I understand your fix. There is no restriction on trading any RFA.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
I'm not sure I understand your fix. There is no restriction on trading any RFA.

I know. I think there ought to be if the point of the offer sheet system is to give the RFA some say in their future. Otherwise I think the only purpose the offer sheet system serves is to prevent teams from railroading young stars.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I know. I think there ought to be if the point of the offer sheet system is to give the RFA some say in their future. Otherwise I think the only purpose the offer sheet system serves is to prevent teams from railroading young stars.

Ok. I misread your post. I thought you were arguing that RFA's should not be able to refuse trades.

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
The offer sheet possibility exists as a mechanism to force teams to offer market value to RFAs. Not so RFAs would actually switch. It's check & balance to avoid embarrassing holdout situations where some kind of cheap owner is trying to hardball an all-star RFA into signing a long term, way below market contract.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain

I don't see any reason to believe that the offer sheet system was intended to give players "some measure of control about their own futures". If Grubauer is traded somewhere he doesn't like the best options are to hold out for a trade, only agree to a one year contract, or go to arbitration to receive a one year contract so he can sign wherever he wants as a UFA the following season.

Those are all better options imo then trying to hold out for an offer sheet.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
I don't see any reason to believe that the offer sheet system was intended to give players "some measure of control about their own futures". If Grubauer is traded somewhere he doesn't like the best options are to hold out for a trade, only agree to a one year contract, or go to arbitration to receive a one year contract so he can sign wherever he wants as a UFA the following season.

Those are all better options imo then trying to hold out for an offer sheet.

I can't disagree about the bolded because I don't have any evidence about whom the RFA system is supposed to help. But I do disagree with the underlined. I mean, any offer sheets would likely be done well before arbitration. The idea that having fewer options is better than having more seems wrong.

The way things are, the term 'restricted free agent' is a bit of a feeble joke. There's rights-owned and arbitration ineligible players and rights-owned arbitration eligible players. There is no restricted free agency, really.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Custance: Straw poll of NHL GMs suggests offer sheet drought...

Custance of the Athletic (paywall) on offer sheets. 9 GMs polled; none think there will be any offer sheets this summer.

In part because...
There’s a belief that they ultimately just drive up salaries without actually achieving the goal — getting the player — so general managers aren’t eager to use them. One NHL team executive felt like owners didn’t necessarily have the appetite to use them liberally either.
Another team executive blamed the system. He felt like the compensation received for restricted free agents was too low to make it even a consideration not to match. He suggested that if the league and NHLPA wanted offer sheets to be widely used, the draft pick compensation should be increased considerably.

Ford Prefect

Mar 2, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
I’ve also wondered whether players themselves are reluctant to sign deals.

Assume a player like Trouba decides to hit the market. He’s built himself enough of a track record that there’s a general bracket he slides into +/- a few hundred thousand. No team is going to offer him anything unpalatable for WPG not to match because they’re not going to screw up their cap structure. He’ll get his approximate value, nothing more and hopefully nothing less.

Assume he’s a 7-7.5 million dollar player for argument sake. If another team offers it to you, why take it? You know Winnipeg is going to match, so you are going back there anyway. There may be animus in the city or possibly the room. Plus, all the incidental clauses you’ve inserted (ie NMC, etc.) are voided from the contract. It actually gives you a weaker contract than the one you initially signed. I recall that from the Weber matching. You might get traded the next year to a team you don’t want to go to.

There doesn’t really seem to be incentive for a player to accept one in this day and age.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
In addition to what others have said.... players staying with one team for as long a term as possible is a GOOD thing for fans. If a consequence of the current RFA system is that players stay put, that’s a positive.

Same goes for people lamenting that star players never make it to UFA.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal

Agreed. Offersheets do give leverage to RFA.

The threat is sometimes stronger than its execution.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad