Kings Article: Why the LA Kings are unlike any other team in Los Angeles

TonySCV

Golden
Mar 2, 2004
Los Angeles, CA
http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nhl/story/_/id/9358912/los-angeles-kings-played-champions-elimination

"In a time when Los Angeles is currently filled with teams that are overhyped and overpriced as well as underperforming and underachieving, the Kings continue to stand above the rest. The Kings never shortchanged their fans, this city or themselves.

They fought until the end and continued swinging during the longest game in Kings history, until they could swing no longer. The Kings lost to the Chicago Blackhawks 4-3 in a seemingly never-ending double-overtime game and were eliminated in Game 5 of the Western Conference finals on Saturday night.

This would normally cause fans and talking heads in Los Angeles to call for players to be traded and coaches to be fired, but something interesting and certainly unique for this city happened during the Kings' last game of the season.

Los Angeles saw something it hadn't seen from one of its teams in a long time. It saw a team scrap. It saw a team claw. It saw a team fight. Quite simply, it saw a team play like a champion, with a heart to match."

SLang

Nov 29, 2005
Huntington Beach, CA
Surprised this was on ESPN. Laughed at the Dodger fans chanting for the Kings after they lost. Pretty cool.

I think I've seen more Kings swag around town the past few days than I've seen before - and DEFINITELY more this year than last after the won the Cup.

KingKopitar11*

I'm kind of glad how we went out, a game 6 would of been awesome, but that performance was so valiant and spectacular that just made me happy, our boys were tired and hurt. They went down like champions.

TheSentinel

Mar 4, 2013
WhereTheKingsReign
I'm glad we went down swinging, Kept every game close and made Chicago earn nearly every inch of ice they got. I look forward to a few months from now when we're back to form, and "The Black Parade"/"The Freight Train" LA Kings are back. See you guys at Dodger Stadium, if not, sooner on the boards.
Go Kings Go!

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I'm kind of glad how we went out, a game 6 would of been awesome, but that performance was so valiant and spectacular that just made me happy, our boys were tired and hurt. They went down like champions.

Yup. All you can ask for. You never want to lose, but if you have to go out, that's exactly how.

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
I go to a local sports card show with thousands of attendees. It looks like a swap meet but has new stuff and high end stuff for all collectibles. It's here in LA. There have been tons of Lakers, Dodgers and Raiders plus movie and TV celebs, plus lots of pro wrestlers. No Kings or hockey signings ever.

The week after the Kings lost, last week, the Kings fans came out in force. I saw more Kings tees and caps than all of the other teams put together. One thing to cheer a team when they win, quite another when the team goes down fighting hard.

There's something to this article. We may have some bandwagon fans but I think a lot will be sticking.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad