Why the he** isn't our mascott a Yeti?

wondeROY

Apr 19, 2007
Missoula, Montana
I can't tell you how many times i've had non-hockey fans ask me "why is your mascott a saint bernard?" and I still don't have a valid answer for that.

Is there any good reason why we haven't made the Yeti (aka snowman) our mascott yet?

Nobody gives a shyt about Bernie or whatever his name is.

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
DENVER!!!!!!!
I can't tell you how many times i've had non-hockey fans ask me "why is your mascott a saint bernard?" and I still don't have a valid answer for that.

Is there any good reason why we haven't made the Yeti (aka snowman) our mascott yet?

It was. But IIRC, it got in a fight with a fan or something so it was canned. We went about 6 years without one. Those were the good years.

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
DENVER!!!!!!!
By the way, I think we should partition the Avs to make the dog carry around a real barrel full of liquor that we get for free. I could get behind that mascot.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003

Howler the Yeti was the mascot at first

Colorado_Avalanche.jpg

As for why they have a St Bernard as a mascot is because they were used as search and rescue dogs in the past and it ties into the Avalanche thing.

Coloradorov

Oct 7, 2009
Denver
As others have said, the mascot used to be a yeti. I didn't know there was a situation with a fan, but I always assumed they changed it to Bernie in order to be more family friendly.

At any rate, Bernie works as well because St Bernards were used in the past as avalanche rescue dogs. I don't think he's that bad. Sure, he is not quite as entertaining as Rocky or Miles, but he is leaps and bounds ahead of Dinger, pardon the pun.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
The little barrel on Bernies neck is a brandy barrel, since supposedly they gave people they rescued a bit of booze to get them going.

Avs For Life

#92 #9 #29
Jul 4, 2012
Denver, CO
I have heard two theories....

A. Howler beat up someone
B. It conflicted with the PHX mascot...also named Howler...

Not sure which is true or if both are and the Avs took the assault as an opportunity to change mascots.

Either way...Howler > Bernie... I love the Yeti foot on the shoulders and if they change it to a freaking dog paw Ill be pissed

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007

Colorado_Avalanche.jpg

As for why they have a St Bernard as a mascot is because they were used as search and rescue dogs in the past and it ties into the Avalanche thing.

Yeah. But now that Sakic and Roy have rescued the Avs we should go back to the Yeti.

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
DENVER!!!!!!!
I have heard two theories....

A. Howler beat up someone
B. It conflicted with the PHX mascot...also named Howler...

Not sure which is true or if both are and the Avs took the assault as an opportunity to change mascots.

Either way...Howler > Bernie... I love the Yeti foot on the shoulders and if they change it to a freaking dog paw Ill be pissed

When did they get rid of Howler anyway. Two things don't show up a search, why or when they got rid of him.

Kschey

Avs/BorussiaDortmund
Jul 4, 2010
Let's assume the story that Howler beat up somebody is true, why would the consequence be to change the whole costume/mascot? I'd change the guy inside the costume and that would be it.

I mean, I absolutely don't care what's the Avs' mascot, this just seemed strange to me.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Let's assume the story that Howler beat up somebody is true, why would the consequence be to change the whole costume/mascot? I'd change the guy inside the costume and that would be it.

I mean, I absolutely don't care what's the Avs' mascot, this just seemed strange to me.

Well people won't see the guy inside the mascot, they'll see the mascot itself.

As for when the mascots were, Bernie came in in 2009. Howler was gone for long before that.

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany

Colorado_Avalanche.jpg

Howler was the best mascot in the league. I think the Bernie (/Roy) works better for the children and is a good choice, though.

SB

Mar 9, 2004
Colorado
I know the dude who is Bernie. Hope he doesn't get trashed in this thread,

Sometimes I think he's the best athlete in the building ... when he crawls from level to level in that costume, that's fricking impressive!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad