Why some players last so long?

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
Genetics. Some people can just keep going

This can make or break you! Injuries as well of course, but some people are to recover or not get so derailed by them as others are.

Vision/IQ, speed, skill, etc. can be gone in a snap, nevermind dwindle down to "barely adequate" within 8-10 years or so. Just look at Lindros, Orr, Bure, Mario, etc. Injuries or unavoidable things aside, those guys could have lasted for many more years easily.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Sorry you're all wrong.
The explanation for Jagr is -very- simple
No wife.
Look at Jeter. Played til he was like 40 - met his woman - retired 6 months later - married 6 months after that.

Not even kidding
Ray Whitney?

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
He's still to this day a top 5 gym rat in the league. Lifelong dedication to his craft, he's a true hockey player (and gambler lol) through and through. Guy is the epitome of a legend.

Pure Gym rats are hard to find.
1. Jagr
2. Iginla
3. Gary Roberts
4. Chara
You forgot chelios

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
Part of it is luck. If some dude gets concussed and breaks 30 bones every year cause a meteor falls out of the sky and hits him, he won't have a long career. Cause he's unlucky.

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012
Jagr's recipe:
Very large frame, yet not playing a punishing style of game. It also helps to very a generational talent too.....I guess.

Selanne's recipe:
Large frame, yet not playing a punishing style of game. It also helps to very a generational talent too.....I guess.

Lindstrom's recipe:
Small frame. Didn't play a punishing style of game. It also helps to very a generational talent too.....I guess.

I could go on, but you see the keys. You wouldn't expect your car to last if you rally raced it every year in the WRC, no matter how good it was new. It also helps to start with the best car and to "take care of it".

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I think skating is actually pretty important.

Slower, less shifty players take a larger toll on the body.

I think better skaters seem to last longer.

COHawk

Sep 16, 2015
Jagr is almost 44 years old now. What explains his longevity? He is a pretty physical player as well. Remember that huge hit Ovechkin dished out in 2010? He seems to be free of any long-term concussion issues and can still perform today. So what explains the longevity of certain players like Gordie Howe, Jagr, Chelios, Selanne, Koivu, Alfredsson, Fedorov? Build? Luck?

On the other hand, some players career ended very early like Lindros(es), Skinner (@risk),

Jagr turned 44 in February.

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
Hockey IQ is the biggest factor. Loss of speed is the biggest reason for player decline.

Thornton and Pavelski look perfectly fine because their games never relied on skating and they both have terrific hockey IQ.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
Genetics is a big part. Not everyone is meant to hold up to 40, or even 32 or 35. Skating is a huge part. Guys who rely on it heavily won't last as long. I argued this point back in 2009 with Duchene and Tavares as the #1 pick. I thought Duchene could be really good, but since he was more reliant on speed his career would not last quite as long as Tavares who already was disgustingly good as a then bad skater. I think the other part is how physical a game they play. Someone who plays hit everything that moves is more likely to wear down younger.

PuckG

Feb 26, 2015
Genetics, work ethic, a tremendous amount of hockey IQ and skill, and some luck.

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
Work ethic is a huge factor for sure.

Chelios stated early on that he wanted to play to 50. I always felt like he could have been a top 5 all-time D if he wasn't managing his effort out there for so many years

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad