Why shouldn't Canada be considered the favourite?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 24, 2004
How can anyone suggest that Canada is over-hyped? On paper folks Canada has the best team this year, and as long as I can remember this is the best team on paper. Canada had the best team last year, the same the year before, and the same the year before, and so on, except for the year they came seventh.

Think about it like this. Over the course of the last 10 years Canada has been the most consistent by far. Same with the last 5 years. You wanna judge it on last year? Canada had the best team on paper then too, then blew one period in the final game.

Let's judge it on last year if you want in a diff way. Who has the most returning players? CANADA.

Who has the highest ranked prospects? CANADA

Who has the most skill on paper? CANADA

Who has the biggest D? CANADA

Biggest Forwards? CANADA

Best scorers? CANADA

Best line? CANADA

On paper, Canada has the best team. Just like at the world cup, just like at the olympics. Even if Canada by some twist of fate does not win, I'm not, and I hope other hockey fans don't, jump on the random teams bandwagon who does win, because they won't be back the next year. Canada will always be there.

Go player by player. How can Canada be overhyped?

Take our SILVER MEDAL WINNING(gold medal should have been) TEAM from last year, remove 12 of the best players, age them, add Patrice Bergeron and 10 other young guns, and that is why it is the best team ever assembled ON PAPER. I stress the last two words.

But for the naysayers, during and before the World Cup you harped on Canada saying they wouldn't win, and their team was overrated. Didn't see you after the final game, after Canada finished UNDEFEATED. This time, I'll be here if Canada loses, I expect the same from the bashers if Canada dominates.

Roughneck

Oct 15, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
Who cares if we're not the favorites. All that matters is who has the gold medals around their necks.

This is a dead horse that really does not need to be beaten.

Papa Smurf

Jun 9, 2004
Oshawa, Ontario
I think that its the fact that Canada hasn't won since '97. People (mostly non-Canadians) are getting fed up with Canada being called the favorites and latter getting squat.

BuppY

xGoodwillx
Dec 24, 2003
relatednews.net
I don't care if we're not the Favorite as long as we win. We do have the best team, almost every year but sometimes bad bounces go the other teams way and they get lucky.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
I honestly dont see how we cant win this thing. Last year we had a 3-1 lead going into the third. Ryan Getzlaf had a marvelous chance early in the third as did Sidney Crosby. If either of them scores a goal its 4-1 and there's no talk of a comeback and no blunder for Fleury!

f1nn

Jan 12, 2004
Espoo, Finland
BuppY said:
I don't care if we're not the Favorite as long as we win. We do have the best team, almost every year but sometimes bad bounces go the other teams way and they get lucky.

so you're saying the only reason you ever lose is because of bad bounces and the other team getting lucky?? don't think so

Hiishawk

Feb 28, 2002
Out there somewhere
Visit site
Canadian_man said:
I think that its the fact that Canada hasn't won since '97. People (mostly non-Canadians) are getting fed up with Canada being called the favorites and latter getting squat.

Actually, Canada wasn't the favourite the past three years. In 2002 and 2003 the Russians had that highly-skilled bunch of '83 birthdates maturing. Last year it was a toss-up with the US, Russia and even Finland in the running- although Canada was the strongest team in the tournament.

This time though they do have to be the clear favourites.

As for not winning since '97- that's different from "losing" or a "losing streak" (as some people have put it- as if Canada has lost every game at the WJCs) or "not getting squat". Canada has the longest string of medals in the WJCs, has been in the final the past 3 years and has the best cumulative record in the WJCs over the past five years.

Still-yeah- it's time to actually win the damn thing. And if they don't this time, it will be a massive albatross hanging around their necks.

Reilly311

Big Phil said:
I honestly dont see how we cant win this thing. Last year we had a 3-1 lead going into the third.

and the year before that.....and the year before that..... :dunce:

naihlflames

Nov 18, 2003
Detroit MI
Why shouldn't Canada be considered the favorite?

Because they are not the defending champs (who btw are playing on home ice with the same goalie who delivered the gold last year).

USA has the gold from last year and are #1 until they get knocked off.

PS: If you thought Canada was the favorite last year, then they can be the favorite again this year. Whatever makes you happy.

adurn

Dec 22, 2003
Where's goaltending on the list of Canada's excellence? Oh, missing I see. But I guess goaltending can't have THAT much effect on the outcome, right? ;)

Vincent_TheGreat

Feb 27, 2002
Ontario
Visit site

Biggest Forwards? CANADA

Best scorers? CANADA

Best line? CANADA

Humm, sorry Canada is severly hyped this year and McGuire is the root of all evil! That moron is just a dumb over exited goofball!

Highest ranked prospects? Please, your basing the team on this, dear God!
Skill on paper? Skill is on the ice, and no Canada is no top here, I wish they were but as a whole team, they do not have the most skill and this is a team game, hate to break it to you!

Bigest D? Sigh! Again you watch hockey very often! Size does not equate hitting power or physical power! Give me skilled, speedy puckhandlers who know positions and tactics anyday over size! You don't win the game with size!

Best Forwards? Canada has thee best forward, but not so sure they have the best group. They may have the best, but not so much that its going to win them games!

Best Scorers? No! best playmakers, yes!

Best Line? On paper, maybe! The game is on the ice though!

I'm sick and tired of the propaganda from TSN home of homerism! This year I'm stepping back and taking an objective look for once! I used to be a Canadian homer, but no longer, I see clearly and Canada is not the best team, Canada could win it all but I don't think there the best!

Nielson81

Feb 28, 2002
www.hockeysfutureradio.com
leafs4thecup said:

Biggest Forwards? CANADA

Best scorers? CANADA

Best line? CANADA

To bad they don't have what it takes to win a tourney championshipp...BEST GOALTENDING...that is really the only question mark...but it's a biggie.

Roughneck

Oct 15, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
Unbiased Canadian said:
To bad they don't have what it takes to win a tourney championshipp...BEST GOALTENDING...that is really the only question mark...but it's a biggie.

You people don't really trust Glass and Beauchemin. Not many goalies are doing better than Glass is right now in the WHL, or any league for that matter. THe goaltending isn't what stands out on the team (like MA Fleury in Halifax) but it is definitely strong enough. There isn't a big name in net, but with this defense, they are definitely good enough to win the gold.

Roughneck

Oct 15, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
Vincent_TheGreat said:

Biggest Forwards? CANADA

Best scorers? CANADA

Best line? CANADA

Humm, sorry Canada is severly hyped this year and McGuire is the root of all evil! That moron is just a dumb over exited goofball![/b]

Yes, having 12 returning players, nearly all sure-fire NHLers, 2 of which tied for the tournament lead in scoring last year, which has a forwad line that's smallest player is 6'2'' 185, having very few forwards under 6'0'', and a defense that is on average about 6'2'' 200lbs is just a reporter spouting out drivel? None of these are outlandish claims, and most, if not all, are bang on.

Skill on paper? Skill is on the ice, and no Canada is no top here, I wish they were but as a whole team, they do not have the most skill and this is a team game, hate to break it to you!

Generally being a highly rated prospect means you've got some game. As well as most of these players haveing played with eachother before, as a team for Canada or on a team in junior.

Bigest D? Sigh! Again you watch hockey very often! Size does not equate hitting power or physical power! Give me skilled, speedy puckhandlers who know positions and tactics anyday over size! You don't win the game with size!

Clearly you don't watch much hockey if you don't know how much and how hard this team hits. Not to mention most of these players are fast, big and know their tactics VERY well. When you've got that, size is the difference. Remember 2003 when Canada used a bunch of skilled, tactically sound small forwards and got pushed around by the equally fast, equally (if not more) skilled, as tactically sound BUT bigger Russians. What's your deal anyway?

Best Forwards? Canada has thee best forward, but not so sure they have the best group. They may have the best, but not so much that its going to win them games!

Actually, Russia would have THE best forward for this tourny (being older and having more experience tan Crosby), but they don't have the best forwardS. Do you know anything about this team at all? Are you aware that 2 of the 3 leading scorers from last years tournament are back, with the same centre. Not to mention 8 of the forwards are back, most of which playing with the same players as last year (and in the case of Andrew Ladd, a guy who he has played with for two seasons now. How is this not the best group? Their 4th line has a guy with 41 points in 30 games.

You do know Nigel Dawes scored more than anybody last year right? And that everyone of these players can put the puck in the net. Generally you need playmakers to set up the scorers.

So you're in favor of determining the favorite after the tournament is over?

I'm sick and tired of the propaganda from TSN home of homerism! This year I'm stepping back and taking an objective look for once! I used to be a Canadian homer, but no longer, I see clearly and Canada is not the best team, Canada could win it all but I don't think there the best!

So you've gone from being a Canadian homer to vieing the Canadian team in the worst possible way you can (because that is what I've been reading here). I mean, not only is Canada not the best team, they're CLEARLY not the best team. With the talent and experience oozing from the other teams, I can see that is not an outlandish statement at all.

I know I'm sort of going away from my 'don't beat a dead horse' thing, but basically saying what a poster said was stupid and completely wrong (I don't know how else you could interpret this) for the sake that it might have been slightly biased (and with this team, it is only slightly biased) is well, stupid and completely wrong.

SwisshockeyAcademy

Dec 11, 2002
Visit site
Vincent_TheGreat said:

Biggest Forwards? CANADA

Best scorers? CANADA

Best line? CANADA

Humm, sorry Canada is severly hyped this year and McGuire is the root of all evil! That moron is just a dumb over exited goofball!

A longwinded post that does not post one bit of evidence as to who DOES have all the things you say Canada does not have.

HFNHL Canadiens

Aug 12, 2004
Guelph
Has anyone seen Montoya this year for Michigan?
He is playing horrible and all 4 of Nastiuk, Dubnyk, Beauchemin and Glass are having a much better season. So to say that the US are the favourites to win this year with weak goaltending is a bad and inaccurate statement. The US is better to go with Schneider who is tearing it up in Boston this year.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Roughneck said:
Actually, Russia would have THE best forward for this tourny (being older and having more experience tan Crosby),

He might have meant Bergeron. (I assume you were referring to Malkin) :)

Feb 24, 2004
Take a step back and look objectively? WHAT??!??! Look at the other teams. Look at our SILVER MEDAL, Should have been Gold medal team from last year, mature 12 guys, and add Bergeron. Refute that, I dare you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad