News Article: Why Phil Kessel is One of the NHL’s Most Consistent Players

Tyler Biggs*

http://tipofthetower.com/2014/07/15/evolution-phil-kessel-toronto/

As Phil Kessel enters the prime of his career, the Leafs talented goal scorer has been one of the most polarizing figures in the Toronto hockey world. On one hand, he is a perennial 30-goal scorer that has natural ability on the offensive end, while on the other hand, Kessel’s critics at times view him as a “softâ€, one-way player, that gives an inconsistent level of play at times.

But are Kessel’s critics really fair to call him an inconsistent, one-way player?

Maybe when Kessel was a young, 22-year-old sniper given the keys to one of hockey’s most iconic franchises, you could label him as that. But as Kessel has matured in age, so has his game. When you really look at Phil Kessel‘s time in Toronto, you will quickly realize that he has actually been one of the NHL’s most consistent players – not an inconsistent, one-way player.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Not sure who the blogger is but Kessel isn't "polarizing" at all.
He may be one of the only Players that everyone has the same opinion of.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Kessel is a model of consistency offensive and defensively.

2011-12 .. 82 games & 82 points & 84 ES goals against.
2012-13 ...48 games & 52 points & 45 ES goals against.
2013-14 ...82 games & 80 points & 82 ES goals against.

Toals .... 212 games & 214 points & 211 ES goals against. (-17 +/-)

Every NHL game Kessel plays he (on average) provides 1 point for, and 1 even-strength goal against.

Kessley Snipes*

The only people who consider him inconsistent are those who wish to perpetuate an outdated narrative, or those who don't understand basic statistics.

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
The only people who consider him inconsistent are those who wish to perpetuate an outdated narrative, or those who don't understand basic statistics.

We call him inconsistent because he goes on a hot run and scores 10 goals in 8 games and disapears for the next 15-20 games. That is inconsistent.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
We call him inconsistent because he goes on a hot run and scores 10 goals in 8 games and disapears for the next 15-20 games. That is inconsistent.

He has never disappeared for a 1/4 of season.

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
He has never disappeared for a 1/4 of season.

How many points did he get in the last 16 games of last year when the team needed him most. 3 G 5 A compared to the first 16 games of 2014 where he was 10G 14A and24 pts. Most guys are a bit streaky but Phil is wildly inconsistent.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008

A season isn't 8 games or 20 games, it's 82 games long. Kessel scored in 48 different games this season, Perry scored in 52 games, Seguin scored in 49, Giroux scored in 53 games this season and Hall scored in 50.

If Kessel is inconsistent offensively then so are most of the top players in the league.

Kessley Snipes*

How many points did he get in the last 16 games of last year when the team needed him most. 3 G 5 A compared to the first 16 games of 2014 where he was 10G 14A and24 pts. Most guys are a bit streaky but Phil is wildly inconsistent.

How many points did he score in the Boston series when the team also needed him most? 4 Goals, 2 Assists.

Diatomic

Mitch Matthewlander
Mar 12, 2013
Air Canada Centre
Kessel is a model of consistency offensive and defensively.

2011-12 .. 82 games & 82 points & 84 ES goals against.
2012-13 ...48 games & 52 points & 45 ES goals against.
2013-14 ...82 games & 80 points & 82 ES goals against.

Toals .... 212 games & 214 points & 211 ES goals against. (-17 +/-)

Every NHL game Kessel plays he (on average) provides 1 point for, and 1 even-strength goal against.

Its stats like that which make me wish we could find a Bergeron or Toews to center him

TheThrill81*

24 pts in 16 GP = 1.5 PPG. So what you're trying to say is that because Kessel didn't maintain that pace or close to it throughout the season, he's inconsistent? Name me 1 player who had 1.5 PPG for the whole season. Try it, I dare you. I double dare you.

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
How many points did he score in the Boston series when the team also needed him most? 4 Goals, 2 Assists.

Obviously one not enough, and 4 of those 6 points were in losses. Year over year he produces consistently in total but he is one of the more streaky players within a season.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Its stats like that which make me wish we could find a Bergeron or Toews to center him

Last years 3 Selke finalists Bergeron, Toews and Kopitar.
&
Last 5 Stanley Cup winners LA X 2, Chicago X 2, Boston.

Teams who have their #1 centers as Selke (best 2-way forwards) are the most successful teams overall.

Kessel more than a lot of players due to his well documented weak defensive game could use a Selke type center for himself and the benefit of the team. Look at what Kopitar did for Gaborik in the playoffs this year and Gabby is similar to Kessel.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002

Seems like a normal pace for any top line offensive player. Like most have alluded to, I'm not sure you understand what "wildly inconsistent" means.

You aren't a Hab fan by any chance?

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
why is the blogger saying that Kessel is just entering his prime? for forwards the 6th season in the NHL is the beginning of a players prime, he's been in his prime for 3 years now.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
24 pts in 16 GP = 1.5 PPG. So what you're trying to say is that because Kessel didn't maintain that pace or close to it throughout the season, he's inconsistent? Name me 1 player who had 1.5 PPG for the whole season. Try it, I dare you. I double dare you.

His point was not that he sucks for not maintaining a 1.5 ppg pace. His point was that he goes on hot stretches and cold stretches, and he pointed out examples.

People have ammo for both sides of this argument, so don't expect anyone to be convinced by he other side. Season to season, Kessel is consistent. Within each season, he is inconsistent. Both sides have a valid argument.

Most scoters go on hot and cold streaks. This is not unique to Kessel.

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009

What I am saying is that the disparity over 16 games jan 1 to feb1 of 1.5pts a game vs the last 16 games of the year of 0.5 PPg is too wide and indicates a certain level of inconsistency. The question is why I feel he is inconsistent. Thats why.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
His point was not that he sucks for not maintaining a 1.5 ppg pace. His point was that he goes on hot stretches and cold stretches, and he pointed out examples.

People have ammo for both sides of this argument, so don't expect anyone to be convinced by he other side. Season to season, Kessel is consistent. Within each season, he is inconsistent. Both sides have a valid argument.

I still haven't seen evidence that Kessel is any more inconsistent than most Ppg.

If Kessel was scoring in half his games while everyone else around his ppg rate were scoring in 80%of their games, then that would be proof, but everything I've seen/read suggests he's as consistent as most top end scorers.

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
Seems like a normal pace for any top line offensive player. Like most have alluded to, I'm not sure you understand what "wildly inconsistent" means.

You aren't a Hab fan by any chance?

Yes and the Habs have one of those frustratingly inconsistent guys too. Kessels olympic teammate Pachioretty. When he is hot he is very hot and when he is cold look out. You guys seem to think I am critizing Phil, I am pointing out how someone could call him inconsistent. Take off the blue blinders.

TheThrill81*

He was cherry picking stats to support an already outdated notion. My interpretation of his post was justified in that regard.

If that's the case, then singling him out is pointless.

Kessley Snipes*

Obviously one not enough, and 4 of those 6 points were in losses. Year over year he produces consistently in total but he is one of the more streaky players within a season.

So when a team loses I suppose star players shouldn't bother scoring points, but instead save them for victories? :laugh:

You really can't prove your point so you are grasping at straws. Keep it coming, this is making my day.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad