Why no current topical threads?

Chrisinroch

Jan 5, 2013
The Golden Triangle
This forum only has threads compartmentalized into "boxes" like:

"player x discussion", "Gameday Thread", etc.

Am I missing threads that are more topical and interesting? Do people not start these types of threads or do they get moved into one of the bigger "boxes"?

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
This forum only has threads compartmentalized into "boxes" like:

"player x discussion", "Gameday Thread", etc.

Am I missing threads that are more topical and interesting? Do people not start these types of threads or do they get moved into one of the bigger "boxes"?

Most things get posted into one of the existing threads, but everyone is certainly able to create threads of their own to discuss anything that doesn't directly relate to an existing thread.

"Why is Pominville not getting more PP time?" would be something that would go in the Pominville thread.

But, "Ideas to fix the Wild PP" could definitely be it's own thread.

Got an idea that you want to discuss? Feel free to start a new thread for it :nod:

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
Most things get posted into one of the existing threads, but everyone is certainly able to create threads of their own to discuss anything that doesn't directly relate to an existing thread.

"Why is Pominville not getting more PP time?" would be something that would go in the Pominville thread.

But, "Ideas to fix the Wild PP" could definitely be it's own thread.

Got an idea that you want to discuss? Feel free to start a new thread for it :nod:

I always felt we kept it that way so it was easier to not have things current get dropped to the 2+ pages. If you look at each thread you can see a significant amount of posting happens only on our first page.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
I always felt we kept it that way so it was easier to not have things current get dropped to the 2+ pages. If you look at each thread you can see a significant amount of posting happens only on our first page.

Yeah, the way it's setup now, the majority of the posting gets done in a smaller number of threads, which are generally all on the first page.

I think there are positives and negatives to it. I get the other point of view where people prefer more individual threads, especially for people who don't visit every day. Discussions can get lost in megathreads (like the generic "player discussion" threads we have)

But like I said, if there is something bigger, that isn't solely a specific player issue, definitely don't hesitate to make a new thread for it.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
To add - We actually encourage the creation of new threads! It's great for forum traffic, and can often generate new discussion.

However, if your idea for a new thread is more of a sub-topic of an existing thread... Please post there. :)

Al Lagoon

Feb 22, 2012
I also believe there is too much thread consilidation here. If threads generate no interest, they die, but specific threads that encourage debate should be encouraged, as should specialty threads. Anyone wanna talk about Tim Young, or Ladislav Benisek?

Gotta remember, people search threads for info, and specific threads are great as a source of information for hockey nerds, even if they only last 10 posts or so.

Big-ass general threads are useless as a point of reference.

Last edited:

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Yeah I started a few polls over the summer to try to spice things up a little bit. I had also noticed that there were really no new topics at all lately either. I would also think fewer generic threads (or really more new/different threads) would help traffic a little bit as well.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
I look at the thread prefixes as suggestions. Really, anything posted under one of those categories could warrant a thread of its own.

- GDT
- News Article
- Line Combos
- Injury Report
- Prospect Info
- Salary Cap
- Recalled/Assigned
- TSN
- Rumor
- Pre-Game
- Post-Game
- Confirmed with Link
- Happy Birthday
- OT
- Waived
- HF Article
- HF Partner
- Speculation
- Proposal
- Russo
- Graff
- Tidbits
- Player Discussion

We consolidate threads because we don't want people digging through multiple threads for information. Ex: Tyler Graovac - we could easily have several different threads (Player Discussion, Prospect Info, Recalled/Assigned, Injury Report, News Article, Russo) to discuss what's been going on with him recently... But it's much easier to have those conveniently located in a single thread.

Again - We encourage you guys to create new threads if the topic isn't already being discussed within a thread in the first 1-2 pages. Please just put some thought and time into those OPs; it really sets the tone for the discussion that follows. :nod:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad