Why move on from Joe Mullen?

He Is Knocking

Jul 1, 2015
and Keep Ian Laperriere? Apologies if this has been discussed before. On the face of it no sense can be made of it. Laperriere is terrible at his job, Mullen was at the very least competent but looking at the latest results much better than what we see now. The power play units leaves no one excited to see the Flyers with a man up despite better personnel than Mullen had at his disposal. I know dumpster fire is an overused term but that's what this organization is.

Thread needed a picture

Last edited:

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
They apparently wanted to go younger and Mullen was the last die hard carry over from the old regime.
As a result instead of improving from good to potential great they are now dead last.

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006
Hakstol ran the PK and the PP. The PK has changed dramatically since Hak was fired and Lappy is still here...so clearly the passive approach was Haks doing.

I imagine it is the same for the PP. It didnt really change when Mullen was fired and Knob was brought in...so Hak clearly had a say in that as well.

I dont think I have ever seen such importance put on the assistant coaches until the Hak era. I think that narrative was pushed by Hextall to take the heat off of Hak.

Reactions: gertbfrobe16

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
Lappy is the oldest minded young coach I’ve had the displeasure of watching

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Hextall was obsessed with the players’ diets & off-ice habits.

Lappy was the quintessential hard work, clean diet, exercise freak that Hextall wanted to set an example for his players to follow.

(Remember—he interviewed Dallas Eakins, a similar fitness / off-ice habits guy, before hiring Hextall.)

And frankly Hakstol had a similar personality. As did all the veterans Hextall loaded up on.

Hextall wanted to get Knoblauch into the organization due to his record in junior. He had to clear a coaching spot to do so. He wasn’t going to ditch Lappy. So Mullen was the sacrifice.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
The PP had started to decline before Mullen was let go IIRC. I do remember a whole lot of people (myself included) wondering why they would persist with Mullen, though I don't remember the specifics of what happened around the time he was fired - there was definitely a general sense of malaise about his performance though, and we shouldn't rewrite team history to make him out to be some kind of martyr - he was ultimately no good either.

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
The PP had started to decline before Mullen was let go IIRC. I do remember a whole lot of people (myself included) wondering why they would persist with Mullen, though I don't remember the specifics of what happened around the time he was fired - there was definitely a general sense of malaise about his performance though, and we shouldn't rewrite team history to make him out to be some kind of martyr - he was ultimately no good either.
He wasn't fired, his contract expired and was not renewed. Small correction.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

gertbfrobe16

Feb 3, 2018
i'm guessing his going downhill and his demise,may be a difference in philosophy with one dave hakstol.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes

They were 14th Mullen's final season. 15th last season. Our PP1 was still elite even last year. This is crazy unlucky stuff; I'd err towards it being unsustainable. Would anyone be shocked if the same personnel (minus Wayne) produced top 5-10 numbers next season? PP2 is cursed, and we need a shaman for that. I thought Knob in his first couple months actually showed promise in his tweaks (both units), but it's like he threw in the towel. I'm baffled.

Mullen took the same indifferent approach to the PP2. His units were disasters in personnel and design. PP1 he generally just let go on autopilot, not fixing what isn't broken. I don't recall him making much of an adjustment in his last years, even when teams adjusted to our PP1. I do recall Schenn switching with Voracek for like 1 week. That was fun.

gertbfrobe16

Feb 3, 2018
They were 14th Mullen's final season. 15th last season. Our PP1 was still elite even last year. This is crazy unlucky stuff; I'd err towards it being unsustainable. Would anyone be shocked if the same personnel (minus Wayne) produced top 5-10 numbers next season? PP2 is cursed, and we need a shaman for that. I thought Knob in his first couple months actually showed promise in his tweaks (both units), but it's like he threw in the towel. I'm baffled.

Mullen took the same indifferent approach to the PP2. His units were disasters in personnel and design. PP1 he generally just let go on autopilot, not fixing what isn't broken. I don't recall him making much of an adjustment in his last years, even when teams adjusted to our PP1. I do recall Schenn switching with Voracek for like 1 week. That was fun.
time line overlaps hakstols take over perfectly.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
________Patrick ___NET

___Giroux _______JVR________Ghost

_____________Sanheim

That's pretty much all they need to do, let it roll, and I guarantee we would see an improvement in results.

Giroux can use his elite passing to set up everyone, but having Patricks passing downlow for both JVR and Ghost would give them more options and would give Giroux even more space. Ghosts lethal shot would give everyone more space because defenders will overcompensate to get into his shooting lane. Why cant we try this?

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
I would rework it as:

PP1
Patrick
Giroux - Couturier - Voracek/Sanheim
Ghost

PP2
JVR
Konecny - Lindblom - Voracek/Weal
Sanheim/Provorov

TK used to be a C... teach him face offs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad