Why isn't Nashville in the Eastern conference?

robes1

Jul 22, 2015
Always wondered why they're not in the East, I mean aren't the conferences essentially organized according to the geographical location of the teams?

robes1

Jul 22, 2015
Tell me what team in the East is closer to the West than Nashville.

The point wasn't that there is a team that is closer to the west than Nashville, it's that Nashville is located further East than any other Western team.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
I know I know cause their in the central time zone. and not in the eastern time zone.

SladeWilson23

I keep my promises.
Sponsor
Nov 3, 2014
New Jersey
The Western Conference has to cover three different time zones, while the Eastern Conference only covers one. Not sure why, but I get a kick out of that. At least it's still not as wonky as the NFL geography divisions.

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth
Nashville is the most western team that is in the east. The west has to contend with multilabel time zones while eastern team don't when playing within conference. Nashville is just unlucky that they are the most eastern team in the west.

Last edited:

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Always wondered why they're not in the East, I mean aren't the conferences essentially organized according to the geographical location of the teams?
Because they are in the central time zone and didn't want all their road games to be too early for their fans to watch... needing time to get home from work and all. Allowed Detroit, an eastern time zone team to go east.

Nashville is the most western team that is in the east. The west has to contend with multilabel time zones while eastern team don't when playing within conference. Nashville is just unlucky that they are the most eastern team in the west.
Unlucky that they are a central time zone team playing in the central division?

Last edited:

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
The Western Conference has to cover three different time zones, while the Eastern Conference only covers one. Not sure why, but I get a kick out of that. At least it's still not as wonky as the NFL geography divisions.

I mean it's just basic geography. The Eastern part of both Canada and the US are more densely populated than the midwest/west, and hockey specifically is more popular in the North Eastern US.

If you drew a line through the geographic centre of the US, all of the NBA, NFL, NHL, and MLB have more teams in the East than in the West.

Reactions: drs151

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
I mean it's just a matter of where the primary population resides. North America is not equally dispersed in terms of population across the land, most people reside on the East coast (especially hockey interested people). It'd be unreasonable to expect equity in terms of conference balance, travel, and time given the natural way our continent is developed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad