Why Isn't Marc-Andre Fleury Considered a Vezina Candidate?

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Not enough games played? Curious as to why since he is...

- #1 in GA at 67
- #1 in Sv% at .930
- #1 in GAA at 2.15
- Tied for 6th in shutouts with 2

All for goalers who played over 30 games. I am not saying he should win, but should be in the top 3-5 no?

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Maybe in the discussion, but he's on pace for 45 starts or so. That's not enough to win it.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
same as asking why didnt Tuukka Rask win the 2009-10 Vezina.

22-12-5
.931 sv% (led league)
1.97 gaa (led league)
5 SO

answer, only started 39 games

Reactions: Oddbob

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
Hellebuyck, Vasilevskiy, Andersen, and Rinne have all been better. Could also argue for Rask to be in that group, but his stats alone aren't as impressive.

The GA stat is ridiculous to include as he's the lowest because he's been good, but only played 31 games which is conveniently barely above your cut-off. Also, Fleury is actually tied for 11th in shutouts (fyi there are also goalies with more than 2 shutouts in less than 30 games that I didn't count). In addition, a goalie can't win (or be in consideration for) the Vezina when there are other goalies putting up similar sv % / GAA with close to double the minutes/GP/shots against (Andersen, Vasilevskiy, and Hellebuyck).

Andersen/Vasi/Hellebuyck will be the 3 nominees in my opinion with Rinne being snubbed.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Hellebuyck, Vasilevskiy, Andersen, and Rinne have all been better. Could also argue for Rask to be in that group, but his stats alone aren't as impressive.

what?

his stats are as good as or better than all 4 of theirs

GAA:

Rask - 2.23
Rinne - 2.33
Vas - 2.35
Freddie - 2.67

SV%:

Rask - .921
Rinne - .927
Vas - .927
Freddie - .922

Cotton

May 13, 2013

The GA stat is ridiculous to include as he's the lowest because he's been good, but only played 31 games which is conveniently barely above your cut-off. Also, Fleury is actually tied for 11th in shutouts (fyi there are also goalies with more than 2 shutouts in less than 30 games that I didn't count). In addition, a goalie can't win (or be in consideration for) the Vezina when there are other goalies putting up similar sv % / GAA with close to double the minutes/GP/shots against (Andersen, Vasilevskiy, and Hellebuyck).

Andersen/Vasi/Hellebuyck will be the 3 nominees in my opinion with Rinne being snubbed.

I felt similar until I looked at Rinne’s advanced stats, which I sincerely hope voters do as well, Rinne’s advanced stats are fantastic - he’s performing on Vasi’s level and should be a lock for 2nd. He honestly should have a shot at winning but he’s played less games than Vasi who’s numbers are just as impressive, if not a smidge more.

Reactions: Vali Maki Sushi

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark

If Rinne gets snubbed because "Nashville has the best defenseman" I'll be so mad. That basically proves people still can't tell the difference between team defense and defenseman (The former which Nashville isn't anywhere close to first place in the league and never was).

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
I felt similar until I looked at Rinne’s advanced stats, which I sincerely hope voters do as well, Rinne’s advanced stats are fantastic - he’s performing on Vasi’s level and should be a lock for 2nd. He honestly should have a shot at winning but he’s played less games than Vasi who’s numbers are just as impressive, if not a smidge more.

Nashville has actually been a bottom 15 team in most chance suppression metrics for most of the season, and even when they haven't their team defense is anywhere close to best in the league. If Rinne gets snubbed because of "Best defenseman in the league" then we really need to re-educate people on the difference of team defense and defenseman.

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
I like that you included that he's #1 in fewest goals against. I too have given up very few goals this season and just like MAF it's because I wasn't actually playing.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
The Same reason Carter Hutton (29 Games, 48 GA, .935 Save%, 1.99 GAA, 3 shutouts) won't be in the running. Not enough games played.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad